The Horror Movie thread

hmm, i guess i didnt look into it as much as you guys. i tend to just accept things at face value. i agree outright that birthing scene was cool....and then just is forgotten

that being said, to me the black goo seemed to sort of be "primordial sludge" if you want. a more literal translation of the foundation of life (and what they were looking for, the engineers of life). they show at the start that guy sort of sacrificing himself. seemed like once it is activated (either by contact, motion, opening the vault) it began whatever life cycle it has. starts off small and builds upon itself. if it can it merges with someone and apparently steals their strongest features.

was neat the way that guy birthed the xenomorph. youre right it doesnt quite fit right. im assuming now the sludge has the xenomorph "plans" because its taken samples from people and that grey dude, so it finds a way to make more (in the movies they have the facehuggers, maybe some sort of lower level goop monster that has enough parts to pass along xenomorph eggs :p)

before you tear into my analysis, note that i watched it while playing games, so things like names and subtle details were totally lost on me XD

:lol: Had no intention of tearing into anything. I just got myself going into a long tirade once again but it's all speculation. I was getting at the same thing as you with the primordial sludge thing though. It seems to be something that evolves whatever it touches very fast, but seems to target aggressive traits, which would further its purpose(As a weapon, I can't see it as anything else). I honestly got more into the movie because of the Alien connection so that's why I went on to connect as many dots as possible.

Because this is Death Methulz and all people that listen to this music are murderous, anti-social drug addicts that do nothing but drink, do drugs, rob liqour stores and play violent horror movies/music/videogames to feed our need for destruction!!!!

'kay going to go watch Shawshank Redemption now:)

I like that in almost every zombie movie or show, the concept of zombies within that world does not exist. It's like a whole piece of our modern culture is non-existent within each zombie movie, they all know nothing of zombies and have to learn how to kill them.

THIS POST WILL CONTAIN SOME PROMETHEUS SPOILERS

I didn't find Prometheus to be much of a mystery overall but it definitely raises many questions. For example, I was left with many more questions about the origins of the Xenomorph (the Aliens from Alien trilogy) than I was when I went into the movie. However I'm pretty sure that Ridley Scott raised those questions on purpose(likely for a sequel), but the overall plot of the movie was fairly straight forward and there was not much in the way of twists or anything.

My main question, is what exactly is the Black Goo, and how did it lead to the chain of events in the movie. It seems that the Black Goo is some sort of aggression/evolutionary accelerant. Everything it touched was mutated into something bigger, stronger and more aggressive, and once that base creature had "evolved" into a monster version of itself, it would attempt to take a host and combine their DNA to create an entirely new and deadly creature. For example, that squid thing that came out of Shaw I would assume was an infected sperm from Holloway (from David putting the Black liquid in his drink) that grew inside her, and once it matured it attacked and impregnated the Engineer to create some sort of Xenomorph progenitor. A little bit like ta masculine version of the usual Egg>Facehugger>Human host>Alien evolution chain (Beginning at a sperm instead of egg... This might be way off I'm speculating here).

The Black Liquid seems to be a "weaponizing substance", it forces unnatural evolution and crosses DNA to make a bigger, more powerful weapon that spreads like a contagion, thus eliminating virtually any life it would come into contact with by making it essentially destroy itself. Even the birth of each new creature requires the death of the old host making it a hell of a genocidal weapon. It's almost parasitic if it wasn't for the killing of its host which parasites typically don't do.

There is also those Cave worm things that attacked the Geologist and the other guy. They were drowned in the Black liquid, and went from earthworm size to huge, pissed off and dangerous snake things(that interestingly had the acid blood quality of a Xenomorph). I'm not certain what happened to the guy that got the cave worm thing down his throat but it was badly injured and I assumed they both died before he was made host. The Geologist however got exposed to heavy amounts of the Black Goo and he began a rapid transformation into something that was once again insanely powerful and unrelenting much like a Xenomorph actually.

Which brings me to the last thing, the creature seen at the end. It looked a LOT like a Xenomorph but was created by a different chain of circumstances than a standard Xenomorph. I would assume the Xenomorph thing is the final stage of whatever that Black Goo was. After several stages of evolution a final host is found, and from there the infusion of the Black Goo combine with the DNA of Holloway (and his infected sperm), Shaw, and finally the Engineer leads to the creation of a Xenomorph. It would look different because the chain of evolution started with an infected Human, but I suspect the original Xenomorphs were spawned by something different before they came into contact with humans so it came out a bit different.

Am I looking into this too much? :lol:

Either way I loved the movie, and those Engineer's are badass. They are so fucking strong they almost nullify the threat of the Xenomorph aliens themselves.

There was also the question of whether the Engineers started all intelligent life, or if the one at the beginning that seeded the waterfall was just on earth. Also why did they leave a starmap for us to find them if they had intended to wipe out the planet. Early into the movie I was thinking they left us as descendants for a pure DNA sample to revive their own race should they die out, and the starmap would lead us to them to start the revival but that was quashed when I saw the violent intent.

So yeah having questions is very justified :lol:. Even if the plot basics are simple the actual details raise many questions I'm hoping the sequel will get into.

The Aliens were using that planet as some kind of weapons testing ground planet. The black goo alters dna into something stronger in some cases, destroys some in others. It altered the worms into the snake things that backfired and killed off all the aliens there and they abandoned the planet. I guess the plan was for the aliens to show the humans how to get there so they could awaken the last Alien out of cryosleep so he could destroy the rest of the human race.

There will be a sequel as Shaw wants to find their home planet instead of going home with the help of David. Maybe the alien didn't like that David was an android because he was figuring out everything, or maybe because he was artificial. The xenomorph was a hybrid with human and alien dna it's different than the ones in the Alien movies.

I like that in almost every zombie movie or show, the concept of zombies within that world does not exist. It's like a whole piece of our modern culture is non-existent within each zombie movie, they all know nothing of zombies and have to learn how to kill them.

:lol: This always bothers me. Everyone is oblivious to what's going on. Looks dead? BECAUSE IT'S A ZOMBIE DUDE. Bash it in the face.

:lol:! me too

Watched Silent Night.

It had a couple of pretty decent kills, but overall pretty boring for a slasher. I dunno why no one seems to get it. In a slasher - NO ONE CARES about the story. Just push past it and get more kills in.
Best movie I have seen recently was "Sleep Tight", by the director of REC 1 and 2 and Fragile.

Not really a horror movie so much as a thriller. But it was definitely fucked up. Loved it immensely.

Excision was also pretty fucked up.

there is any movie where the main plot is Cthulhu? i dont mean necessary as the villain. i dont remember seing one