The 'I love ProTools' thread

I found the MIDI in 7.4 extremely lacking (IMO) and it was enough to drive me away. Horrible to look at for long sessions too.
However, I now miss Beat Detective so much I'm going to be moving back to Pro-Tools, especially since the MIDI in v8 looks so much better. Of course, no one can question its audio editing capabilities.
Anyone care to share their experiences with PT 8 thus far?

I have been using pro tools since the day of the very early days of the Digi 001. I wouldn't use anything else.

I have to say I'm happy with my LE 002 rig and my Power Mac. I can run lots of plugs and still don't see much of a point of going out and spending thousands and thousands for an HD rig when the only main difference between the two is the delay compensation. I don't really like Digi hardware and therefore use different converters.

I'm primarily a mastering engineer, but a few records have landed this year and a few more are coming up.

Am I really missing out on something?

I found the MIDI in 7.4 extremely lacking (IMO) and it was enough to drive me away. Horrible to look at for long sessions too.
However, I now miss Beat Detective so much I'm going to be moving back to Pro-Tools, especially since the MIDI in v8 looks so much better. Of course, no one can question its audio editing capabilities.
Anyone care to share their experiences with PT 8 thus far?

Fantastic. Main issue is the really slow horizontal mousewheel scrolling which Shan addressed with his little hotfix program. That and the fact that I can't use my MPT with it so I need to manually splice... but other than that... top notch.

Fantastic. Main issue is the really slow horizontal mousewheel scrolling which Shan addressed with his little hotfix program. That and the fact that I can't use my MPT with it so I need to manually splice... but other than that... top notch.

I'm curious, why can't you use the M-Powered toolkit with Pro-Tools 8?

I love Pro Tools so much!!!

Yep I'm still learning new things in Pro Tools everyday it seems. I just learned you can setup memory zoom hot keys (1-5). Which is so freaking nice when editing drums! Elastic Audio is amazing as well and just so many great features for editing audio. Now on the mixing side (I'm on Le) I use Ata Time Adjuster and can setup in less than 1 minute and I have delay compensation. I run Uad plugins as well which have huge latency and Ata works perfect. So yea thats about it and as I said above.....I LOVE PRO TOOLS!

Use Tracktion :D
ha ha. yeah... and while i realize it's a joke.. and a funny one too... this is not a thread for mentioning other DAWs to use in place of PT... it is a PT thread, about PT, for PT users and those that are interested in using PT... but yeah, Traktion blows.

I've been watching the videos on Digidesign, I quite like the Instruments that comes with PT8 - should allow me to have a bit of fun with electronic music etc. without having to rewire Reason etc.
Is the MIDI implementation in PT8 really that great?

Ermz
PT for me through and through.
It's easy,it's intutive,has good variety of plug ins,fantabulous editing abilities and caters for different tasks required, for the varying users and ther needs.

ha ha. yeah... and while i realize it's a joke.. and a funny one too... this is not a thread for mentioning other DAWs to use in place of PT... it is a PT thread, about PT, for PT users and those that are interested in using PT... but yeah, Traktion blows.

protoolsseriousbusiness.jpg

I don't really think any other DAW competes with Pro Tools. It truly is a professional program in comparison to others on the market. Yeah Logic and Cubase have neat features but as a whole they do not feel like a real program. I have actually heard through a friend of mine who visited Digi earlier this year that they may potentially be releasing new HD hardware by years end (just speculation based in info he was given). So Ermz, depending on what they release, you may be able to get into the land of HD :).

Pro Tools ftw!

yeah back to the MIDI issue... Pro Tools really took a step up with 7.4.1... but 8 really kicks it over the top. someone got the links to the relevant vids?

The MIDI in PT8 kicks ass. I honestly prefer it over the MIDI in Logic because Logic has too many parameters that can be tweaked. I guess all the parameters in Logic are great if you really want to geek out, but for most users, I think what PT8 offers is more than sufficient.

Been using protools for 10 years now (man I'm old), and I will never switch. I've been forced to learn cubase/neundo, logic, and digital performer at various points in my professional career and none of them work as well for me.

Beat Detective/Strip Silence/Tab To Transient/Elastic Audio.....while other daws have similar features...the combination of all 4 makes editing even the most horrendous performances simple. We can all sit around and talk about how u shouldn't have to fix anything, but in reality 90% of the work I get is fixing other peoples awful records and I get paid pretty well for doing it.

Aside from the editing, I like PTs mix setup. The whole folders/and audio bins that other daws have don't make sense to me...I like to look at it as a console....and that's how PT lays it out. Especially with the VCA's they added in 7.4.

Now I know PT still has a long way to go (PROPER ADC PLEASE!!!) but I can't imagine working on anything else.