The 'I love ProTools' thread

i_love_pro_tools_white_tshirt-p235421355270158066tdt4_210.jpg

The MIDI in PT8 kicks ass. I honestly prefer it over the MIDI in Logic because Logic has too many parameters that can be tweaked. I guess all the parameters in Logic are great if you really want to geek out, but for most users, I think what PT8 offers is more than sufficient.
actually you can get geeky with MIDI in PT as well.. it has pretty much all the same parameters and editing capacity... but just keeps the interface more streamlined and clean looking. the "tech" is out of the way when not needed.

No sorry James... it's still fucking slow, this is the only thing I really hate about PT 8.
For PT just shines!
I took me some months to work fast on cubase... it took me 2 days, and when I say 2 days, I mean really 2, to work fast in PT
actually man, if you read back, a number of PT8 users on here have said that the issue IS now fixed for them.... you perhaps missed an update i'd think... or you may need to reinstall them all.

You'd think they could've gotten a skinnier model (or at least not had the chunky guy pull it tight to show off his midsection spare-tires :lol: )

Maybe it's just representative of the average Pro Tools user? It's just so streamlined you don't wear off the calories the average Cubase user does?

(James: that wasn't knocking Pro Tools! Please don't hurt me! ;) )

Steve

Aside from the editing, I like PTs mix setup. The whole folders/and audio bins that other daws have don't make sense to me...I like to look at it as a console....and that's how PT lays it out. Especially with the VCA's they added in 7.4.

Now I know PT still has a long way to go (PROPER ADC PLEASE!!!) but I can't imagine working on anything else.

I feel the same way about the mix setup. The way it is laid out, the signal flow is very easy to follow.

Anyhow, this is a pretty cool trick in PT8 by Kenny Gioia from his new PT 8 Tips & Tricks DVD..

http://www.groove3.com/str/pro-tools-8-tips-and-tricks.html <---go there and then "Comparing Multiple Plugins & Effects"

I didn't have scrolling problems even on the very first version of PT8 (installed the CS2 update yesterday).
maybe an LE thing?
I don't have PT8 LE, only 7.4

btw, I think if you buy PT HD8 and bought PT LE7.4, an LE upgrade to 8 should be free

I forgot to mention that yes, I love PT, will never switch.

But...

Digidesign really has to address the issue of DSP processing. I had a go a Logic the other week and I was shocked how many more plugins you could with it in comparison to PT. OT: editing in Logic is a COMPLETE joke.

Is PT 8 better at this?

I also think digidesign suck as a company... but I still love the 'ptools.

Yeah the unofficial scroll fix works great.

Guys, the PT8 scrolling issue is specific to PCs for some reason, which would be why you Mac users aren't experiencing it. I'm using CS2 as well.

@Didigtaldeath: I have no idea why they disabled it (MPT). Mine still installs but BD is capped at one track, so I need to go about editing the semi-manual way again. In the end I think this might lead to cleaner audible results anyway as BD frequently screws up splice points.

In the end I think this might lead to cleaner audible results anyway as BD frequently screws up splice points.
does it? i'm not sure what you mean exactly, but i've never had any problems with BD screwing anything up once i learned it well.

the thing about manually cutting is you don't get the trigger pad option, which for me is key to getting clean edits.

I love working in PT 8, but on my system (no cracks) I get quite a lot of errors, I uninstalled it and all my plugins on the weekend, reinstalled. still fucking buggy. I know...shoulda bought a mac
Click plugin stops working, eventually just producing a sine wave tone. This is after trashing preferences or after installing the toolkit. Eventually the problem fixes itself, after a few restarts.
Audio Engine Playback Startup deadline was missed. I get that a once in a while. Playback doesn't start. Toggling the ignore RTAS errors checkbox seems to fix it. If I change buffer size, PT will crash.
distorted/garbled audio, happens all too often, start playback or record and everything is fucked. Switching from the lowest buffersize to the highest and back fixes it, but none in between. Some sort of hardware conflict, they can't tell me what.
I had silent playback yesterday for some reason, switched buffer size and it worked again. Never seen that before.
I the panning on one of my stereo buses was reversed somehow. I send something into it panned a bit to the left, it comes out panned a bit to the right. Any other stereo bus works fine, I checked the I/O setup and it's not backwards either.
I've pretty much given up on asking for help with it too. FML as they say

Besides that bullshit....I love Pro Tools, especially PT 8. :D

Here's a trick for those with dual monitors on PC.

launch PT, don't maximize the main window. Drag the corners to fill both screens. Close PT with Alt+F4.
When you reopen PT the window setup will be remembered.

Plugins
If you hold shift while while clicking a plugin it will float that window. Alternately use the red target button. This let's you have more than one plugin window open at once.
CTRL+Click (Command/apple click) on a plugin on and insert to bypass it. Add Alt to that and you'll bypass all inserts in that row excluding what's on the masters.
ctrl+start+click (control+command+click on a MAC) on a plug and you'll disable it. Disabling is different from bypassing. Same goes for sends. Add Alt to it and you'll disable all plugs in that row.

yeah, i always use a 10ms trigger pad to separate and a 5ms Xfade during fill and smooth.

Ermin, regarding your MPT... surely digi will have a fix for you for this... it's not like your purchase of the MPT is somehow invalid just because you upgraded to 8. give support a call.