The Last Three Years in Metal...Tell me What Was Great

Evil?

omghaxlol!1
Jun 25, 2005
Grand Haven, MI
As the very literal thread title may indicate, I am interested in knowing what are considered some of the best albums of the last few years. I have been nearly completely disconnected from any sort of Metal news or releases since about 2010 and am looking to catch up. I only want top tier shit. Above average. I don't get nearly as much quality listening time as I used to and I don't want to waste time with "ok" albums.

I don’t know what you like so I’m just going to list what pops in my head

Eluveitie - Helvetios

Katatonia - Dead End Kings

Katatonia - Night is the New Day

Amorphis – The Beginning of Times

Cannibal Corpse – Torture

Borknagar – Urd

Nachtmystium – Silencing Machine

Anathema –Weather Systems (not really metal, but still really good)

Ihsahn – Eremita

Woods of Ypres – Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light

Swallow the Sun – New Moon (can’t recall if this is 3 years old or older. But it’s sweet)

There is more, but I need to look through my collection to remember them all.

Ignore the first response, and if I remember you right, the 2nd post might not be your thing, but hey Eligos seems to have discerning tastes.

Make sure you have these at the least:

2011:
Bahimiron - Rebel Hymns Of Left Handed Terror
Blaspherian - Infernal Warriors Of Death

2012:
Beherit - Celebrate The Dead
Demoncy - Enthroned Is The Night
Graveland - Memory And Destiny (Re-Recorded)

2013:
Sacriphyx - Sacriphyx
Sacriphyx - The Western Front

Hasn't been a great time for metal really, but 2013 is looking incredible. Fanisk's release was good if you like them, I just could never quite call them essential to my tastes. Portal's new release was ok I guess. But some of the shit coming out (Birth A.D., Imprecation, Summoning, Divine Eve, etc.) is bound to be great.

Good to see Sacriphyx getting some love on here,that's about the best shit i've come across in the last few years.
Actually now is the perfect time to get into this band as their few demos/splits have appeared very rarely since 2007 and only just now has a compilation cd and their debut appeared.

Agree with Ihsahn's Eremita (even better is "After" going back to 2010) and Anathema and would have to add:

Enslaved - RIITIR
Leprous - Bilateral
Mastodon - The Hunter
Shining - Redefining Darkness

Considering that The Hunter is comprised entirely of B-sides from Crack the Sky it hardly qualifies as a "great" album, but it is a decent pop record.

I don't think that at all - the music is totally different to Crack the Skye, which was more epic and progressive-influenced, whereas The Hunter is more groove-oriented with some pop-type riffs and catchy choruses. Very different - where'd you hear the "B-side from CtS" reference?

Admittedly CtK is better but personally I think The Hunter's a great collection of songs, better than most of the other crap out there in the last few years.

Cultes Des Ghoules - Spectres over Transylvania (2011)
Cultes Des Ghoules - Henbane (2013) I have not heard that one yet, but should hopefully give it a listen some time soon..

Following bands have released worthwhile albums the last three years. Most is black or blackish But also some pagan and avantgarde in between.

Aaskereia
Alcest
Angantyr
Aosoth
Ash Borer
Bergthron
Blood of Kingu
Burzum
Craft
Darkthrone
Dinner auf Uranos
Drudkh
Eïs
Enid
Ewigheim
Falkenbach
A Forest of Stars
Furia
Graupel
Heimdalls Wacht
Helrunar
Heretoir
Inquisition
Kamera Obskur
Kroda
Les Discrets
Lunar Aurora
Mgla
Nocte Obducta
Odroerir
Primordial
Solefald
Taake
Thränenkind
Urfaust
Verdunkeln
Woods of Ypres

Not sure what kind of metal you listen to, but these are the only two metal albums I've given 10s to in the last three years.

Agalloch- Marrow of the Spirit
Deathspell Omega- Peracletus

Corpsessed - Dagger and the Chalice

War Master - Thrones of Tyranny

Last edited by a moderator: