the love thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you think the royals and devil rays have the market to go spend 200 million?

THE OWNERS OF THE LESSER MARKET TEAMS SPEND WHAT THEY CAN SPEND IF THEY TRIED TO DO WHAT THE YANKEES DID THEY WOULD GO... BANKRUPT!!!! Not everyone can spend like the yankees/redsox's of the world. Thats why there needs to be a salary cap to promote more competition. Everyone knows the yankees are going to make the post-season every year.

No. You think Jeff Loria actually gives a shit about winning? It's owners like him who should be reviled, not Steinbrenner. Deny it all you want, but the fact is that there are plenty of owners out there that are in it for a profit. Fielding a winning team is secondary to putting cash in their own pockets, so they don't spend as much on their teams. Steinbrenner values winning above everything and his willingness to spend reflects that. Either way, why shouldn't the Yankees spend their money? They earm their money by setting attendance records, selling tons of merchandise and having greater global appeal (and, therefore, liscensing money). The rules allow them to spend their money, so they do. The rules say they have pay a luxury tax, so they do. The rules say they have to share money with the smaller markey clubs, so they do. I don't see the problem here. Implement a salary cap and they'll still attract more big-name players because of their mystique.

And what the fuck do they have to do with the Pirates? It's not their fault that the Pirates can't attract fans.

edit: Either way, Steinbrenner has become increasingly uninvoled with the team for the past several years and is now effectively retired. Cashman is running the team now and is moving the club in a different direction that will depend less on spending money. So in a few years you'll be needing a new argument.

good post andrew

and as I said before, the salary cap's only purpose is to spark competition/increase parity/eliminate dynasties

why try to fix a problem that doesn't exist??

:) actually,I'd rather have Bronson Arroyo

My Mother bought his CD, which confused the hell out of me because she hates the Red Sox like it's her job. I mean, she really fucking hates them... and she buys one of their CD's (this is before he went to Cincinatti, obviously). She didn't buy Bernie William's album... but she bought Arroyos. It confuses the hell out of me to this day. Actually, I'm going to go ask her "what the fuck?" about it right now.

holy fuck I was looking at some stats and I realized francisco liriano was the best pitcher in the league last year

2.16 era, 1.00 whip 144 ks to 32 BB

best pitcher in the league

My Mother bought his CD, which confused the hell out of me because she hates the Red Sox like it's her job. I mean, she really fucking hates them... and she buys one of their CD's (this is before he went to Cincinatti, obviously). She didn't buy Bernie William's album... but she bought Arroyos. It confuses the hell out of me to this day. Actually, I'm going to go ask her "what the fuck?" about it right now.

that's a good idea,considering that it's all covers I have a few songs,they aren't bad

So you think the royals and devil rays have the market to go spend 200 million?

THE OWNERS OF THE LESSER MARKET TEAMS SPEND WHAT THEY CAN SPEND IF THEY TRIED TO DO WHAT THE YANKEES DID THEY WOULD GO... BANKRUPT!!!! Not everyone can spend like the yankees/redsox's of the world. Thats why there needs to be a salary cap to promote more competition. Everyone knows the yankees are going to make the post-season every year.

WTF? I was saying the owners need to give more money to their teams, because they certainly can afford it. If they can't then they should give up power.

holy fuck I was looking at some stats and I realized francisco liriano was the best pitcher in the league last year

2.16 era, 1.00 whip 144 ks to 32 BB

best pitcher in the league

Not a full season, though. I'm not denying that he is something special and will probably be mopping the floor with the AL for the next few years, but he missed some significant time, and he was working out of the pen for a while. Certainly very, very good, but I'm not sure if I'd go so far as to say he was the best in the league. Pretty damn close, though.

cincinatti is one team that comes to my mind that could easily spend 80 90 hell maybe even 100 110 million a year

their owner is cheap as fuck, and that's why that team is mediocre every year

The cards owners are cheap to and rely on the brilliance of their managerial staff.

This is why I hate them so much.

The cards owners are cheap to and rely on the brilliance of their managerial staff.

This is why I hate them so much.

Ha, I think the Card's franchise exists just to fuck with me. I rooted hard for them in '04 WS but they fucked it up. Then I rooted hard for the Tigers* last year and the Cards went and won.

And your post reminded me of another reason why Disarmonia_Mundi is wrong: The A's!

*I will almost always root for the AL over the NL, plus they knocked out the Yanks, so it would have taken some of the sting away if they'd won the whole thing. The '04 situation was a whole different animal, though...

C Bengie Molina

1B Richie Sexson

2B Chase Utley

3B Eric Chávez

SS Jimmy Rollins

LF Barry Bonds

CF Coco Crisp

RF Jermaine Dye

Util Carlos Guillén

Util Jason Giambi

BN Jay Payton

BN Yuniesky Betancourt

BN Scott Spiezio

BN Héctor Luna
BN --empty-- - - - - - - - - - - - -
DL --empty-- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Pitching

SP Rich Harden

SP Pedro Martínez

SP Jake Westbrook

RP Akinori Otsuka

RP Chad Qualls

P Liván Hernández

P Jason Jennings

P Jesse Crain

BN Ryan Madson

BN Scott Downs

BN Carlos Villanueva

I love my fantasy baseball team, what do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.