The Power metal thread

Anyone have a recommendation for a good first Kammelot album? I heard lots of people mention they're good, but I don't know where to start.
(Sorry if it's been asked before, but 12 pages is a lot to read :))

Helloween: Wall of Jericho is the most essential, both Keeper albums are top notch too though.

Gamma Ray: I'm not a big fan really, I think Blast From the Past is all you really need. Mainly because I like Kai's voice more. Heading For Tomorrow, Land of the Free and Powerplant are all good though.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good first Kammelot album? I heard lots of people mention they're good, but I don't know where to start.
(Sorry if it's been asked before, but 12 pages is a lot to read :))

The Black Halo is a great album, and the one that has really boosted them into the spotlight. However, if you want to start at the beginning, try The Fourth Legacy. That's a real killer album. The title track is just amazing.

Can someone give me the rundown on Helloween and Gamma Ray? Best albums/what to avoid/where to start?
I'm pretty liberal with my Helloween and I think you should check out 'The Dark Ride' and 'Gambling with the Devil' out for their modern stuff which are acutally their best albums ever I think. Then check out 'Time of the Oath' and the obligatory 'Keepers I and II albums'.

As far as Gamma Ray goes, get 'Somewhere out in Space' 'Land of the Free' and 'No World Order'. 'Powerplant' is also very good.

The Black Halo is a great album, and the one that has really boosted them into the spotlight. However, if you want to start at the beginning, try The Fourth Legacy. That's a real killer album. The title track is just amazing.

Yeah, the Black Halo is their best imo. Stellar songwriting throughout

I'm pretty liberal with my Helloween and I think you should check out 'The Dark Ride' and 'Gambling with the Devil' out for their modern stuff which are acutally their best albums ever I think. Then check out 'Time of the Oath' and the obligatory 'Keepers I and II albums'.

As far as Gamma Ray goes, get 'Somewhere out in Space' 'Land of the Free' and 'No World Order'. 'Powerplant' is also very good.

with Helloween, avoid everything with Deris involved. best albums are 'Keeper Of The Seven Keys, part 1' and 'Walls Of Jericho'. the first ep is also great.

Gamma Ray never realed anything bad, but some of their albums are rather uninspired. i'd recommend 'Land Of The Free', 'Heading For Tomorrow' and 'Sigh No More'

Savage Circus was pretty cool at first, but in the end it just sounds like a half-assed Imaginations From The Other Side mixed with the inferior moments of Iron Saviour and Persuader, which equals meh. Maybe Thomen can come up with something better. By the way, he didn't quit the band, he was kicked out.

Helloween:

The eponymous EP and Walls of Jericho are my favorites by far, but the "classics" are Keeper of the Seven Keys I and II. Excellent albums all. The EP and Walls... are energetic, melodic speed metal (think NWOBHM on uppers), while the Keeper albums are much classier and much more tuneful, managing to be refined while still adhering to the general formula put forth on the debut.

Gamma Ray:

I've got their first four. The debut, Heading for Tomorrow is decent enough, Sigh No More is laughable, but Insanity and Genius and particularly Land of the Free are mandatory.