the love thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice. Austria is a beautiful place. I went there when I was 17. Loved it. I've traveled around Europe quite a few times. Hit me up if you need some tips.

How important is it to speak the languages? Most of the time I'll be in Austria and Germany, and I know I'll visit Italy and the Czech Republic* while I'm there (but I'm not even going to attempt Czech) and I will likely go to France and Hungary, among other places. I'm sure I won't have to be fluent in all those languages, but how much do you suppose I should learn? I really don't want to be one of those Americans who goes to Europe and only speaks English (and the American version, at that).

Also, know anything about Budapest? For some reason I've wanted to go there for a long time, but I have no idea what I would do there. Thanks a lot, I appreciate any tips.

*I just realized that I called it Cxechoslovkia before. Heh, it would be nice to take a trip back to 1990, but we haven't quite perfected time travel yet, so that's a no go.

Ermmmm, depends. There are loads of shows all over the country so you are bound to find something you are interested in, but its mainly indie/metalcore bollocks, so you have to search hard for good ones.

Awwwww.

Aren't you happy I'm going to be on the same island as you? I bet you are!

All seriousness, though, Nikkie, you should come to see Kamelot or Immortal this summer up at BB King's.

How important is it to speak the languages? Most of the time I'll be in Austria and Germany, and I know I'll visit Italy and the Czech Republic* while I'm there (but I'm not even going to attempt Czech) and I will likely go to France and Hungary, among other places. I'm sure I won't have to be fluent in all those languages, but how much do you suppose I should learn? I really don't want to be one of those Americans who goes to Europe and only speaks English (and the American version, at that).

In Austria and Germany a lot of people know at least some basic English, especially the younger people. You can probably get by pretty well with basic English and hand gestures but it would probably be good to bring a book of common German phrases or something like that. From my experience, Germans don't tend to get all snobby with you if you don't speak their language, unlike the French. In Italy, try to speak as much Spanish as you can if you don't know any Italian. Spanish and Italian are very similar and a lot of Italians will understand what you're saying if you speak in Spanish. I did that every time I traveled around Italy and it worked quite well. In France, try to speak as little English as possible. A lot of times when I would try to speak English to a French person they would just brush me off and would be very unhelpful. Definitely try to speak some French; they respect you more if you actually try. If you can't do that, then try speaking Spanish. I find that they tend to be more helpful if you speak a language other than English. Don't get too discouraged though, I've run into plenty of French people who were happy to help me even though I speak English. French people just seem to be more intolerant about that stuff on average.

I don't know anything about the other places you mentioned so I can't help you there.

Also, know anything about Budapest?

I've never been there so I don't know a whole lot about it.

Fucking expensive. $60.

You're actually better off seeing Kamelot on August 19th. It's about $25 - 30 (More towards 30, I think), and you could probably crash at my place if you needed a place to stay.

damn,60...I'll see how my paychecks are for the next few weeks:) Kamelot,that's with Leaves Eyes,right? I was planning on going to Symphony X with some guys on the COB forums,so I might do both.

And thanks for the offer:)

damn,60...I'll see how my paychecks are for the next few weeks:) Kamelot,that's with Leaves Eyes,right? I was planning on going to Symphony X with some guys on the COB forums,so I might do both.

And thanks for the offer:)

Yea, no problem. :)

Not that big into Leaves Eyes, but Kamelot is actually one of my favorite bands. So.... wooohooo. Seeing them for a second time and I can't wait. It would be cool if we could hang out!

Status
Not open for further replies.