The Member's Art Thread

Yeah id really like to know more about this stuff. Just because some of the stuff on youtube is amazing and i just dont know how he gets those brush techniques. ive only got a baby wacom and not sure if that makes a difference..

it doesnt really matter, as long as you control the brushes well enough (stylet pressure)
just an advice : use ONLY medium size (50px) at 5% opacity (in the industry it's 2-3%) that way you'll get a realistic style.
More strokes you draw, more deepness you will get. I use 150-200 layers for every artwork, that way I can control every sub-layers and it really get a good effect when I blend them together. But there's no good recipe, the best technique is the one you developp for yourself :)

I updated my website, new design, new logo, new artwork. (meanspark.com)

Awesome!! Thanks, the opacity thing made a ton of sense.
ive recently had the mentality that you kinda should know the rules before you break them.
Checkin out your site now btw

edit: lol fucking incredible stuff. How old are you, if you dont mind me asking?

haha thanks for the website. Your stuff is great man, keep it up.

I keep my age private for one very good reason, I dont let people judging me by my age if they consider me too old or too young for the job. It happened in the past, when I was searching for a job $$$ in publicity, they gave me bad reasons for not hiring me and I've never accepted it, NEVER. In people's mind being too old is obviously outdated and being too young is considered immature. Plz dont take it personnal, im not against you, im against prejudices, and for this reason I never say my age publicly. :)

have you seen the drawing section? There's a unique piece of Dimebag Darrell, I made it in memory of this great man, inspired by a real photo. I sold this piece almost for nothing and I miss it now...geez

I was just wondering because i myself am 19 and were just wondering if you were the same kinda age as me. Yeah i saw those drawings, I really like the tarja one. also do you use photo manipulation mainly or use the ol tablet to create those masterpieces?
Its kinda interesting talking to people who have the same sort of interests as me as no one else round here does lmao

no, im older. im also very interested talking to people like you, thats why im sticking around this forum, i have never met anyone sharing this passion.

I checked out your myspace. your work is divine, I love it. keep it up.

About my work, I mostly use digital painting to build my pieces. I also use photographs to give more realism. Also, I complete my work with watercolor, acrylic, conté crayons, staedler pencils, pastel for the grainy texture, so much stuff...My advice is : go easy with photoshop filters, nothing is better than a good pencil, for the quality, render, texture...well its my opinion. And I always use my Wacom tablet : wonderful invention.

i rarely use photoshop filters. I usually overlay textures of macro images. Things like the veins of leaves and interesting pavings to give the picture that bit of depth and just change the layer type. ive never really tried combining the two before so i may give that a go. Im pretty interested in some of the tutorial dvds you can get because theres some amazing techniques on there for creating weird images.
Yeah, wacom tablet is a definite crusher.

ok, well Ive never heard about those tutorials on DVD except for Massive Black ones. ( http://massiveblack.com/mbNew/html/dvd.shtml ) It can be useful to get inspired then create something from your own...I see those DVDs like a good start not an accomplishment.

speaking of something else...do you know Dave Mckean? british illustrator

hey all, just fucking around with opeth's new album, got inspired and basically designed a promotional flyer!
i know it has nothing at all to do with the watershed title or anything that could be remotely connected to opeth, but i was fucking around with a few programs and wanted to share.
enjoy!

http://epihasi.deviantart.com/art/Watershed-81769836

i made the figure myself, in poser 7.
hah, the font i downloaded off some website, i think it's called "blasphemy"...and yeah, a little desaturation wouldn't hurt!

Airbrushed:
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/4594/opethtributeep4.jpg
http://www.rollingchrome.com/abCOM/666/jake.jpg
http://kobrinkustoms.com/Blu Fire Snowboard hi rez.jpg

Digital:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'd like to learn how to play around a bit more with textures in my work though.

Pencil:
attachment.php

Hey Crenshaw,
I know a ton of your stuff is photo-manip but when you do things with un-capturable elements like this one:
foes1.jpg

Do you draw it or do use a photograph of a person or a 3d model or what?

Thanks for the interest! Most of it is as you say photo manipulations. I never use any 3D, and rarely draw elements that look photo realistic. A couple tricks of the trade, and some of my own stock, and it all comes together smoothly.

R

I didn't do this, a friend of mine did for an mcd we're releasing next week. I left the logo and that out because it obscures some of the detail.

tenebraelucemcircumveniiq2.jpg

It depicts the dream Kriemhild has in the Nibelungenlied foretelling of her future husband's violent death.