The Mistake That Set Me Rolling

Good bands :

Theory In Practice
Celtic Frost
Sodom
Carpathian Frost (Celtic Frost worship)
Bathory (Stay away from the albums Octagon and Destroyer of Worlds)
Solefald
Septic Flesh
The Crown
Venom
My Dying Bride
Darkthrone (Bathory and at times Celtic Frost worship essentially)
Mayhem (De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas)
St. Vitus
Pentagram (US)
Candlemass
Atheist
Morbid Angel

there's a huuuuge diff. in all these bands ...big variety, but these are some bands that haven't been mentioned that any metalhead should check out...

Yeah definately, I say get some Bodom into ya :p.

As far as your introduction to metal.. I'd say that was alot faster and better than mine own... in which I had to skimp through bands like Soulfly to eventually find my way to Opeth. But thrash metal was the 'in-between' step for me, and I still love classics like Sep's 'Beneath the Remains' and 'Arise' etc. etc.

OK I think I should get some Children of Bodom just so you stop telling me to. :D Follow The Reaper is their best, no?

Bloodbath, isn't that with four really really amazing musicians just wanting to make music for the hell of it? It's Mikael, Anders Nystrom, Jonas Renske, and Dan Swano. I don't know what bands the other guys are from, but I might get it, if only for Mikael's vocals. :)

Have you guys heard of Thyrfing? They're really good Viking metal, which is an odd genre in itself but they're a good band.

dude, bodom is gay. they are like a gateway band. youre already in the door apparently. check out a band called sacrilege (swedish late 90s melodic death band with daniel from in flames on drums and vox that somehow didnt get as big as they should have). and for real dude, dont worry about learning your metal history or having an encyclopedic knowledge of sub-genres.

illbeleavinnow said:
Because since then I've gotten hold of almost all the other Death albums, and I've listened to Meshuggah, Sepultura (more thrash-oriented but hey), In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Nile, Morbid Angel, and many others. So I do believe i'm entitled to that opinion. :cool:
Two months isn't enough time to give so many albums proper listens. But good work on getting into metal.

I don't appreciate it when I feel I smell a follower. I mean it's great you discovered Opeth, but you shouldn't bash on Otep just cuz you discovered a new community to you that you feel has a bias against something, and you should therefore behave under it too.

Well I like Otep, I really can't stand most rap, but to be truely honest it's specifically gangster-rap. If the artist is genuine, I'm willing to respect them, if their not I don't bother. If the art itself is something I'm not used to, I probably won't listen to it all the time. The reason I like Otep is because I feel that their music is unique and original. I mean how many chicks sound like their possessed by satan? I really like her voice too because sometimes it almost sounds like she's crying while screaming, and it's a sound that you don't hear all the fucking time. Sure, it might sound a bit like nu-metal, but the other thing you have to keep in mind is what their influences are. The way I think of it is it's "Californian" metal, specifically south cali, like LA, but that's just what I think...

I myself am trying to break in a new genre, or at least create a new one: Californian Stoner Death Metal :D ...

:Smokin:

.... oh and illbeleavinnow, why does your avatar remind me of Iron-Flames's?

you have alot of exploring within Death Metal yet dude.

Listen to

Vader
Decapitated
Deranged
Immolation
Malevolent Creation
Insision
Necrophagia (the new one)
Suffocation
Brutality
Entombed
Dismember
Grave
Dying Fetus
Gorguts
Gorelord (new album,nice grooves.Awful subjects..)
Cephalic Carnage (more styles than just DM though)
Cryptopsy
Cynic (i need to listen to them again axtually)

Suffocation's Pierced from Within is one of the most amazing brutal/technical rides in death metal history. If you think human by death is progressive Suffocation are just about the heaviest/progressive band ever to disgrace our collective metal eardrums. This is heavy and yet heavier. No words can really describe Suffocation or John Tardy's voice from Obituary check that out as well.

DemonOfTheFall said:
I don't appreciate it when I feel I smell a follower. I mean it's great you discovered Opeth, but you shouldn't bash on Otep just cuz you discovered a new community to you that you feel has a bias against something, and you should therefore behave under it too.

Well I like Otep, I really can't stand most rap, but to be truely honest it's specifically gangster-rap. If the artist is genuine, I'm willing to respect them, if their not I don't bother. If the art itself is something I'm not used to, I probably won't listen to it all the time. The reason I like Otep is because I feel that their music is unique and original. I mean how many chicks sound like their possessed by satan? I really like her voice too because sometimes it almost sounds like she's crying while screaming, and it's a sound that you don't hear all the fucking time. Sure, it might sound a bit like nu-metal, but the other thing you have to keep in mind is what their influences are. The way I think of it is it's "Californian" metal, specifically south cali, like LA, but that's just what I think...

I myself am trying to break in a new genre, or at least create a new one: Californian Stoner Death Metal :D ...

:Smokin:

.... oh and illbeleavinnow, why does your avatar remind me of Iron-Flames's?

Yeah, it's an avatar that you can pick from the UM database. :)

Anyways I'm bashing on Otep because I made my own opinion about them and save Sacrilege their songs are bad. I'm not talking about only their rap metal like T.R.I.C. and Battle Ready, but songs like Jonestown Tea and Thots aren't that great either. Their poetry is written as if they're just doing it so they can attract an audience, it isn't heartfelt. ANd what is heartfelt isn't written that great. I mean I don't expect expert lyrics, but she says she's a poet, and that she's not.
Also, their songs are very, very simplistic. Sometimes the same bass-line or guitar tune is replayed for 3-5 minutes straight with no difference except for the occasional outbreak of anger (which I admit I like). Just overall they're a weak band. Probably not as bad as I made them out to be but still a weak band. :D

threak, that's so much stuff. Jesus. Lol. I've heard a LOt of good stuff about Vader and Immolation so I'l try them out first. Thanks to narcisco too for your help. It's not my favorite metal style but I really like it. :cool:

btw are you gusy as excited as I am about Dark Tranquility's live album? :eek: It's coming out July, I can't wait to get it.

That's really cool about how you got into metal. I would suggest these albums additionally:
Megadeth:Rust in peace
Metallica:anything!!!!!(older is better, though)
Slayer:Reign in blood, Show no mercy, and/or Hell awaits

These are just some random suggestions. Welcome to the brotherhood!!!

Opeth blew you away because they were different. Now you have heard death metal and everyone is recommending you death metal bands and albums to listen to. I'll recommend something different, an artist and a band, that blow me away, and that haven't been mentioned yet.

Porcupine Tree and Devin Townsend. You owe it to yourself as a fan of good music to check them out.

The Evil Toucan said:
Opeth blew you away because they were different. Now you have heard death metal and everyone is recommending you death metal bands and albums to listen to. I'll recommend something different, an artist and a band, that blow me away, and that haven't been mentioned yet.

Porcupine Tree and Devin Townsend. You owe it to yourself as a fan of good music to check them out.

he speaks the truth.

Nice story dude :) You have to check out Pain Of Salvation! Also anything by Devin Townsend!

Recommended albums:

Pain Of Salvation - Remedy Lane
The Devin Townsend Band - Accelerated Evolution

I'm very familiar with Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson. :) When I heard what he did with Opeth, I obviously checked out his band. Porcupine Tree is really an amazing band.

I read a few reviews of the David Townsend Band and I heard some pretty bad things, but perhaps it was one of his bad albums. I'll check it out for sure.

if your into opeth's acoustics... you might like to check out ulver kveldssangar(i dont know if its the correct spelling) its totally all acoustic with a couple other instruments like flutes and shit.... lyrics are in norwegian i beleive..... if you want to check out anything else by them metal wise.... check out nattens madrigal, bergtatt, and/or vargnatt.....(if you can find any vargnatt files) anything else by them imo is crap.....