The Most Technical Band

It's probably Spiral Architect.

Technicality for it's own sake is pretty useless though. Thankfully, Spiral Architect can actually compose well.

Without that skill, you end up with Necrophagist.

You guys can't expect a technical nomination thread to be taken seriously unless you nominate the White Stripes.

C'mon, what the hell's wrong with you guys?

Arcturus, for most thought put into song

Thought is nice, but that does not equal technicality. To be avant-garde is not to be technical, it is to transcend the bounds of general musical styles.

Some Arcturus songs are rather simple, but they are arranged in such a way that makes them avant-garde, regardless of how complex the instrumental parts are, as they contribute to a greater whole if the formula is right.

I'd like to throw in Beneath the Massacre, they may not be that great of a band, but holy shit are they technical.

Also, Behemoth's pretty technical, at least Post-Satanica. Also, latter-day Death would be an obvious recommendation.

I would list more, but people have already mentioned them, so listing those bands would be quite redundant.

Thought is nice, but that does not equal technicality. To be avant-garde is not to be technical, it is to transcend the bounds of general musical styles.

Some Arcturus songs are rather simple, but they are arranged in such a way that makes them avant-garde, regardless of how complex the instrumental parts are, as they contribute to a greater whole if the formula is right.

I don't really get how they are classified as avant garde. Hardly any ground breaking or pushing-the-limits material. I still like it though.