Most Talented Band Ever?

Most talented metal??? Wow!

Non metal would be progressive bands like ELP,YES,Spock's Beard..

But for Metal I would have to say off the top of my head

Blind Guardian
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Shadow Gallery

Stratovarious and Rhapsody are not lacking in the technical department.

Yngwie and all his bands

Nightwish, Ayreon (Lucassen)

I don't know ,there are sooo many. I'm sure there will be some that would disagree with me on the few choices I listed,but I didn't name AC/DC... so there. :lol: :kickass:

This sig is the best!!! :lol:

Blind Guardian
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Shadow Gallery

Yngwie and all his bands

I don't know ,there are sooo many. I'm sure there will be some that would disagree with me on the few choices I listed,but I didn't name AC/DC... so there. :lol: :kickass:

Depends what he means by talent I suppose. If you mean technical skill that's one thing but songwriting skill is another. For example all those bands you mentioned might be technically advanced but in terms of songwriting talent Black Sabbath or Priest is clearly better.

Depends what he means by talent I suppose. If you mean technical skill that's one thing but songwriting skill is another. For example all those bands you mentioned might be technically advanced but in terms of songwriting talent Black Sabbath or Priest is clearly better.

Oh yeah I would have to agree. The big three as I like to call 'em

Sabbath
Maiden
Priest

I like Sabbath after Ozzy also and LOVE Born Again,but the Ozzy Years had the most outstanding songwriting....:kickass:

Oh yeah I would have to agree. The big three as I like to call 'em

Sabbath
Maiden
Priest

I like Sabbath after Ozzy also and LOVE Born Again,but the Ozzy Years had the most outstanding songwriting....:kickass:

Yeah so for me Sabbath has more talent than any technically proficient band.

Yeah so for me Sabbath has more talent than any technically proficient band.

I respect that! :worship:

BlackSabbath-SabbathBloodySabbath.jpg

holy shit. keep the comedy coming. this is killing me. blast beats are about as impressive as 4/4

maybe to you. I'm talking about off-time blasts exclusively.

oh well, keep it up. soon you'll be on my ignore list.

Blind Guardian
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Shadow Gallery

Yngwie and all his bands

if by talented you mean incredibly gay, then yeah, they're talented.

holy shit. keep the comedy coming. this is killing me. blast beats are about as impressive as 4/4

^

Anyone who would use blast beats/fast drumming to try and demenstrate what drummers have more talent or are better must be clueless.

please listen to some jazz first before making such statements. :erk:

this discussion is strictly talent, nothing else. Though prog rock > metal in songwriting as well but that is certainly subjective and I am not going to argue that.

Prog rock tends to have this little problem with expressing EMOTION, so I'm inclined to disagree with you on that point.

Also :lol: @ Buddy Rich being the best drummer ever.

Prog rock tends to have this little problem with expressing EMOTION, so I'm inclined to disagree with you on that point.

uh prog rock is renowned for the very intense emotion in the music, so I don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

you must be dead if you can't hear emotion in pink floyd's music.

uh prog rock is renowned for the very intense emotion in the music, so I don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

you must be dead if you can't hear emotion in pink floyd's music.

Prog rock - beyond the more famous bands has a VERY big issue letting the emotions flow in the music.

Pink Floyd was hardly prog rock on enough albums to be considered a considered prog rock.

Prog rock - beyond the more famous bands has a VERY big issue letting the emotions flow in the music.

Pink Floyd was hardly prog rock on enough albums to be considered a considered prog rock.

uh we have different ideas of what prog rock is then. All the great bands (and there are plenty of them) had alot of emotion in the music. Even the modern bands like ayreon have plenty of emotion.

you can bash bands like ayreon for having a very bombastic/over the top/pretentious/cheesy sound, but very high level of instrumental ability and intensely emotional content are probably the 2 biggest characteristics of prog rock

uh we have different ideas of what prog rock is then. All the great bands (and there are plenty of them) had alot of emotion in the music. Even the modern bands like ayreon have plenty of emotion.

A big chunk of Pink Floyd's music is psychadelic rock.

Yeah, the great bands have alot of emotion but there are not as many as you'd think. Yes, VDGG, KC, Rush, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Camel, ELP, Gentle Giant, and maybe Marillion. I find myself bored to hell by the majority of PR other than those bands.

Ayreon is awful and hardly fucking emotional.

Also I would never associate emotional as a quality of prog rock on the whole.

The instrumental work is just completely boring and rarely does anything for me outside of a few songs, and sure the vocal work is great on some albums but vocals won't save a bad album - not even Daniel Gildenlow's vocals (who I hold in the absolute higher regard) could save Genius, why should I expect lesser vocalists to save music that is just slightly less bad as Genius.

my favorite album is human equation, it is just brilliant on all levels - songwriting, emotion, variety, vocal work IMO

It's not nearly as good as the classics, but for what it is, it is very entertaining.

The Human Equation has the best vocal line up of any Ayreon album I'll give it that, but it just has zero staying power. I just wish that Devin's performance on it (easily the best vocalist on the album) didn't suck so badly.