Most Talented Band Ever?

All I was implying is that, as a whole, 60s and 70s prog bands are much more talented (in instrumental ability) than majority of extreme metal bands today.

i beg to differ

the skill of most musicians in bands increases as time passes, each generation is more talented than the next at instrumental ability.

remember when jimmy page was "the best guitar player in the world?"

he would only be considered decent if he played the same songs as solo's today as he did 30 years ago

i beg to differ

the skill of most musicians in bands increases as time passes, each generation is more talented than the next at instrumental ability.

remember when jimmy page was "the best guitar player in the world?"

he would only be considered decent if he played the same songs as solo's today as he did 30 years ago

what the fuck are you talking about? there was jazz in the 30s 40s and 50s that would blow away anything you see today in metal in terms of instrumental ability.

im sure musicicians in any technical metal band could compete with anything in jazz from 70 years ago

please listen to some jazz first before making such statements. :erk:

talent =/= quality necessarily.

this discussion is strictly talent, nothing else. Though prog rock > metal in songwriting as well but that is certainly subjective and I am not going to argue that.

this discussion is strictly talent, nothing else. Though prog rock > metal in songwriting as well but that is certainly objective and I am not going to argue that.

What is the point of arguing who is the most talented if you are avoiding quality of the original work from said artist? Sure that dude from Necrophagist can shred and arpeggio wank until the cows come home but that does not make his band any where's near as good Burzum in a qualitative sense.

Also, brood sweeping generalizations are going to get you no where.

I don't listen to much of it, but when I do I like jazz/fusion like Al Di Meola. It's a pretty inaccessible genre though I would say.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_musicians#Some_of_the_most_famous_jazz_musicians

What is the point of arguing who is the most talented if you are avoiding quality of the original work from said artist? Sure that dude from Necrophagist can shred and arpeggio wank until the cows come home but that does not make his band any where's near as good Burzum in a qualitative sense.

Also, brood sweeping generalizations are going to get you no where.

what I originally stated was that 60s and 70s prog bands are more talented in terms of instrumental ability than modern metal bands. If you want to argue that metal has better songwriting, that is fine, I will disagree with you, but in terms of technical/instrumental ability, prog>metal.

this thread overall is about bands that you think are all around great (IE technical ability, songwriting, variety of said songwriting, emotion, vocals, etc...)

and I am not going to argue with somebody about the songwriting abilities of a band because that is entirely subjective. Many of you masturbate over the songwriting abilities of bands like burzum, yet you can show them to a classical pianist or a jazz guitarist, and many of them would tell you burzum isn't even music. I am not saying anything negative about burzum (there are several BM Bands I like) but you get the point.

Origin are a fairly talented band, technical to say the least. I used to listen to them and only just thought of them when I stumbled across a video of their drummer on youTube. You cannot honestly tell me this guy does not have some talent

watch

Playing jazz and playing metal require different kinds of musical skill. Playing jazz is mostly about on the fly improvisational soloing, and metal is about tight, fast (sometimes), percise playing (and songwriting, but usually not every band member is involved in the songwriting process). Sure, the great jazz musicians were more talented than the run of the mill metal musician. Good jazz is not easy to play. Jazz is a very substantial genre, but for some reason, it's never clicked with me, and I've never really gotten into it.