The Never Ending Now Playing Thread

I dig, I dig. Been listening to a lot of Pain of Salvation and Keep of Kalessin.

@Allfader: I'm really interested in your take on this song (and specifically the mix: http://soundcloud.com/aethereal/suicide-hymn-re-mastered). Trying to get all the opinions I can before going forward with the recording.

NP: October Falls // A Collapse of Faith

@Allfader & Elvina: Both of you would really like this, I think.

A bastard brother of Ad Absurdum with an industrial feeling and LMI vocals (not bad at all, still subpar to Arcturus).

@Novembers:

I'm at work and I can't check it out well right now, so at night I'll listen it with decent monitors and headphones. I have been very into mixing/mastering the last 2 years, even I produced an album with decent results, given the poor recording sessions done at a crappy studio by the band, (I can upload the album to download it btw).

Just a question: what software do you use for the programmed drums?

I hope to record my own stuff within the next months, but I need a new computer. I have composed 2 full albums so far and I'm seriously thinking on going to a studio to record at least the second one; the problem is the cost and time, since I do everything.

I do know October Falls. It's going metal or full acoustic this time?

So you reviewed the Wuthering Heights album! I really, really like it - and I don't even like power metal so much. What I like the most is the constant changes of tempos and moods. Power metal by definition is really a-b-a-b-c and that song structure is too way similar among bands and songs. As a personal opinion, it's far better than the new Rhapsody as a whole.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Novembers:

I'm at work and I can't check it out well right now, so at night I'll listen it with decent monitors and headphones. I have been very into mixing/mastering the last 2 years, even I produced an album with decent results, given the poor recording sessions done at a crappy studio by the band, (I can upload the album to download it btw).

Just a question: what software do you use for the programmed drums?

I hope to record my own stuff within the next months, but I need a new computer. I have composed 2 full albums so far and I'm seriously thinking on going to a studio to record at least the second one; the problem is the cost and time, since I do everything.

I do know October Falls. It's going metal or full acoustic this time?

So you reviewed the Wuthering Heights album! I really, really like it - and I don't even like power metal so much. What I like the most is the constant changes of tempos and moods. Power metal by definition is really a-b-a-b-c and that song structure is too way similar among bands and songs. As a personal opinion, it's far better than the new Rhapsody as a whole.

If you want the best drums check Superior Drummer or Metal Foundry. Metal Foundry is totally sick but I haven't had the money to buy it yet. Can't wait, though.. once i've got the cash.. :headbang:

I listened to your Forestfather stuff and I liked it a lot, though the guitar sounded a little out of tune in places. It's a style that I dig a lot. The kind of thing that you expect to be playing when you're out in a wooded, foggy woods somewhere. Calm and peaceful, but sad. That's the kind of music I listen to on those early autumn nights in October when it gets dark and you start lighting candles. Very good.

I didn't review Wuthering Heights, but dude did. I really, really like that album. Still, though, I don't like the vocalist as well as I like Rhapsody and the song writing, while good, doesn't live up to my Rhapsody fanboyism.. :lol: Rhapsody is just their own sort of microcosm of awesome, in my opinion, and this record definitely got a rating boost on the grounds that the last two albums had been sooooo disappointing for me.

But Wuthering Heights is great. Really solid.

But I, too, love producing and mixing and stuff. It's more fun that I've probably ever had.

To be honest, those 2 tracks are really awful in their own way.

The 'metal' one was recorded at 2007 in a real rush - more like to hear how the song would sound, done in a couple of hours. Also is one of my first compositions (written 12 years ago!), so it's really unmature and cheesy. The other one was recorded at 2008 with a weird tuning intentionally - not just the fact that it's not tuned A440, also I used an 'open chord' tuning. I recorded it in just 1 take with a cheapest mic and pc you can get, so the production values are really low. After realizing that those 2 tracks were failures in so many ways, I began to read about sound recording, mixing, mastering, etx.

The material I've written on the last 2-3 years is IMO worthy of being recorded and released; I hope to make it this year.

np: Ásmegin - Fandens Mælkebøtte. Great album and song.

To be honest, those 2 tracks are really awful in their own way.

The 'metal' one was recorded at 2007 in a real rush - more like to hear how the song would sound, done in a couple of hours. Also is one of my first compositions (written 12 years ago!), so it's really unmature and cheesy. The other one was recorded at 2008 with a weird tuning intentionally - not just the fact that it's not tuned A440, also I used an 'open chord' tuning. I recorded it in just 1 take with a cheapest mic and pc you can get, so the production values are really low. After realizing that those 2 tracks were failures in so many ways, I began to read about sound recording, mixing, mastering, etx.

The material I've written on the last 2-3 years is IMO worthy of being recorded and released; I hope to make it this year.

np: Ásmegin - Fandens Mælkebøtte. Great album and song.

Yeah, it's not the tuning is weird in the sense that it's not standard tuning. There were just notes that sounded flat. I've started using an open d6 and actually I think I'm going to drop it to open c6 for this EP I'm recording this fall. Really, really diggin' the deep tones that it gives me.

But still, just like my own total failure at recording, I think those songs still have value. Mine laid out a good blue print. The problem is that the recording sounds shitty, lifeless and fake. Because it's basically shitty, lifeless and fake. :lol: So the people who really give it a chance say "Yeah it's great, shame about the recording though...." And I think I've fairly well proven that by putting out Suicide Hymn which has had a much better reaction.

BTW: I'd love to hear the record you recorded. You should upload it.

NP: More October Falls

Yeah, it's not the tuning is weird in the sense that it's not standard tuning. There were just notes that sounded flat. I've started using an open d6 and actually I think I'm going to drop it to open c6 for this EP I'm recording this fall. Really, really diggin' the deep tones that it gives me.

But still, just like my own total failure at recording, I think those songs still have value. Mine laid out a good blue print. The problem is that the recording sounds shitty, lifeless and fake. Because it's basically shitty, lifeless and fake. :lol: So the people who really give it a chance say "Yeah it's great, shame about the recording though...." And I think I've fairly well proven that by putting out Suicide Hymn which has had a much better reaction.

BTW: I'd love to hear the record you recorded. You should upload it.

NP: More October Falls

Ok. I listened the song, first plain EQ, then with different settings.

About the mix: I can hear everything, just the bass is under the average mix.

The sound: the drum sound can be improved but it's ok. I don't know about your tastes on drum sounds but this is why I feel it needs:

The cymbals need to be 'thinner', so they can be heard clearly without adding any gain. the 'body' of the cymbals can be added by a little reverb. The toms need a little more definition. The snare is really 'dark' and compressed to my ears.

About the programming: As a drummer, I find a problem mainly on the velocities and some fills. Did u use some pattern given by the software? the hi-hat strokes under the blastbeats sections sounds weird or, IMO, it gives a 'slowing down' feeling, being heard just half of the strokes compared with blastbeats. The snare sound really flat/plain. The velocities of a real drummer change a lot on fills, single strokes and blastbeats. Unless it's an ultra triggered drumkit, no snare hit sound exactly like any other and the aim usually is to make it 'real'. Then again, I dunno about your preferences, but I like the style from Richard Christy, Asgeir, Sean Reinert and such and I try to emulate some of their dynamics at playing.

Bass: I can 'sense' it, but not hear it clearly. If you wanna keep it in that way just to add 'heaviness' and that bottom low to complement the drums and give shape to the kicks, it's ok. I wonder about some fretless bass on the mellow parts... would sound amazing.

Guitars: The playing is ok. the acoustic ones sounds fine. I had a feeling that you don't use a L/R-100% panning on the mellow parts. The distorsion can be improved IMO. Do you mic an amp or are you using a Vst/Rtas software?

Vocals: growling very good. The cleans can improve a lot, but it's not bad at all. Maybe duplicating the tracks can do the trick. Akerfeldt, Ihsahn - on Emperor at least - and others seems to use a trick to give more room to the vocals, adding 1 extra take of every vocal track with a shitload of reverb but very low on the mix, so it add ambience and a little 'chorus' feeling. Vortex used and abused of it with Dimmu.

Again, I liked the song.

The production value can kill a record. I recall that I found a remastered version of Ulver's Vargnatt and it really kick ass. It's a shame that the demo was released with such a poor production.

@Novembers: check your inbox.

Np:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyTKENs8vrA&fmt=18[/ame]

This album could have been one of the greatest of the death metal genre...just the bonus demos kills it.