The Never Ending Now Playing Thread

:err: You do that then. But I don't understand why you're being so bitter about it all. You came out swinging, what did you expect me to do? Take it all sweet like and kiss your ass because you don't agree with something published on my website?

And it's not like Deicide is your band or anything. I mean, what do you care whether or not a reviewer on the Internet likes the new CD? I'll tell you a secret: reviews are total bullshit. My opinion means nothing unless you agree with me about music. And I don't even always see eye-to-eye about music with that reviewer. It's just the way of things. Take it easy, dude.

NP: Hate - Erebos

Well said! I think you're the first reviewer that says that reviews are total bullshit hahaha. Kudos, kudos.

Yann Tiersen: Ballendai

Turns out this guy made the OST for Amélie and Good-Bye Lenin. Me likes.

Oo, yes. Yann Tiersen is great. Really great. Also check out Detektivbyrån.

And yeah, I mean, I like writing them and everything, don't get me wrong. It's just that it's all subjective opinion. I always mercilessly mock anyone who makes comments about how my reviews aren't "objective" enough. Objective? As in? I don't agree with you? The point is that there are no objective reviewers. There are just music nerds who are opinionated and music nerds who are less opinionated.

Oo, yes. Yann Tiersen is great. Really great. Also check out Detektivbyrån.

And yeah, I mean, I like writing them and everything, don't get me wrong. It's just that it's all subjective opinion. I always mercilessly mock anyone who makes comments about how my reviews aren't "objective" enough. Objective? As in? I don't agree with you? The point is that there are no objective reviewers. There are just music nerds who are opinionated and music nerds who are less opinionated.

Or what about when you're just downright wrong? ;) Like when you mentioned that Solefald's latest album is the first metal release ever to contain scat talk/singing.
Red Harvest did that on both their 1994 album "There's Beauty in the Purity of Sadness" and on 1996's "HyBreed".

Or what about when you're just downright wrong? ;) Like when you mentioned that Solefald's latest album is the first metal release ever to contain scat talk/singing.
Red Harvest did that on both their 1994 album "There's Beauty in the Purity of Sadness" and on 1996's "HyBreed".

Actually, I said I was "pretty sure that." Or "this has gotta be the first time.." as in "I'm not backed up with facts, but I've never heard it before."

Yeah, it's opinions. I don't large amounts of research. We do publish a review EVERY SINGLE DAY. I may know a lot about metal, but I am not a never-ending fountain of random knowledge. I do actually go to school full time, have a girlfriend who I like to spend with, write music, enjoy playing xbox and a number of other things.

But let me tell you about this reviewing industry. I recently gave the new Moonsorrow record a 5/5. It was the first English review and it was a glowing review. Because of that I had about a billion fucking Moonsorrow fans flood my website. If I advertized and 2 percent of those people clicked an ad, then I'd be earning money every time I'm able to do something like that. This means that I am incentivized to say NICE things about EVERY SINGLE RECORD I receive in order to get bands and fans to post those links.

This is what review sites do. Rarely do you see bad reviews, much less scathing reviews and rarely does anyone say what they actually think about an album. Everything gets 7 stars and everyone is pleased with themselves.

But of course that's not the case. When you hear 300 records a year, how many of them stick with you? Well, with me about 20, max. And those records should be the ones that are really in the 9-10 range. Everything else should be below that. Yeah, this is good (3/5 or 6/10) but it's not something I'm going to come back to often. 5/10 is yeah, it's OK. It's not horrible but I don't see listening to it much.

Sure there might be more, but honestly, it's just ridiculous. If you buy one new record a week you'd still never have enough time to really digest everything you buy. The industry puts out crazy amounts of shit. And the shit is rigged for hits, clicks and access to bands and labels. 'Cause labels just want free advertizing.

That said, I love to listen to new music and write reviews. I think it's fun, I enjoy doing it and I enjoy that people give enough of a shit about my opinion to come to my website and read what I have to say about that. A good reviewer is someone who you find who pretty much agrees with you and so I find it gratifying that people show up and read my reviews because they agree with me (or because they think my reviews are fun to read and/or entertaining). That's totally awesome.

But should we all take record reviewers seriously? Not a chance in hell. Most reviewers would suck someone off to get access to their favorite bands and would do it without blinking. I don't think there's an iota independence among most reviewers. They know which side their bread is buttered on and they wander down that path as far as it'll take them.

I don't do that. I think it's bullshit. That's why I don't advertise (though I'm thinking about doing it to help try to pay for hosting costs—so I guess that makes me a hypocrite). I get free music, that's all I get out of this. And so long as I still get that, I'm going to keep saying what records I think are shit despite it pissing off fans, and I refuse to overrate popular bands' CDs just 'cause they're popular.

People take this shit way too personally. It's just music. We all like different shit.

NP: Fen - The Malediction Fields

@Agah: Heathens! \m/ Good shit. They have a new track up on their BandCamp: http://heathens.bandcamp.com/

hmm guess I could have seen that coming :)

let's see:
For example, I believe that “Tittentattenteksti”, with another fantastic vocal cameo from Agnete Kjølsrud (Djerv and also did a cameo on the new Dimmu Borgir), is the first time that any band has ever scat talked on a metal CD.

I guess it doesn't change anything to the fact that if you believe something and it turns out that in reality it's not the way you thought, you're still wrong. But I stand corrected though, if that makes you feel any better, despite after having all that in your last post off your chest.

anyways, 1000 posts!!!! :D time for:

np:
Vintersorg - Vem Styr Symmetrin?
Visions From the Spiral Generator (2002)

let's see:

I guess it doesn't change anything to the fact that if you believe something and it turns out that in reality it's not the way you thought, you're still wrong. But I stand corrected though, if that makes you feel any better, despite after having all that in your last post off your chest.

np:

Congrats on 1000 posts. Yeah, you're right I was wrong. But does it matter? In this case it makes no lick of difference. It is an incredibly rare occurrence. (Scat talk in metal, not that I'm wrong. I'm sure I'm wrong a fair amount of the time. Or, well, rarely, but whatever. ;))

Also that rant is all about the flak that I take for my opinions. It's retarded how emotional and defensive people get about this shit.

So ND just does reviews to get free music, I knew I shouldn't of read those reviews. Typical scavenger of free music, not supporter of bands, and freeloader.

:lol:

Yeah, so obviously you're just butthurt at this point and there's no point in trying. I didn't say that I review CDs for the free music. I said that the only benefit I get from it (UNLIKE OTHER BLOGS, ZINES, MAGAZINES, ETC., WHO DO SHIT FOR PROFIT) is free music. EVERYONE who reviews music gets free music, dude. And I continue to buy albums of bands that I love. I pre-ordered the new Vintersorg record despite that I will get free mp3s of it, I pre-ordered the new Rhapsody record, I will pre-order the new Opeth and Symphony X CDs, not to mention making a POINT of buying independent releases that I like. Before I moved to Sweden I had a lot of vinyl and now that I've got a system set up here I'll be buying more vinyl. I support bands more by promoting their CDs for purchase than most people do by just purchasing a CD and giving the band their 25 cents. If TWO people go out and buy a record that I promote it's worth more than if I just go out myself and buy it.

Anyway, I'm done with this. It's obvious to me that you're just going to be a bitter little bitch and I see no point in continuing having exchanges with you, since you've made up your mind.

NP: Before the Dawn - Deathstar Rising :headbang:

Congrats on 1000 posts. Yeah, you're right I was wrong. But does it matter? In this case it makes no lick of difference. It is an incredibly rare occurrence. (Scat talk in metal, not that I'm wrong. I'm sure I'm wrong a fair amount of the time. Or, well, rarely, but whatever. ;))

Also that rant is all about the flak that I take for my opinions. It's retarded how emotional and defensive people get about this shit.

Agreed! :headbang:
I actually love checking your blog, thanks to your review I've become quite a big fan of Ufomammut! and yes, vinyl ftw :)

Thanks, I appreciate that! It's actually really taken off in the new year. It's really exciting. :)

NP: Kebnekajse - Idioten —*If you get a chance to listen to this album, it's pretty awesome. It's folky progg from the classic Swedish band Kebnekajse. There are no vocals at all, it's just beautiful folk melodies and a lot of hippy/70s rock vibes. I love it.

And about that last Blind Guardian review..You give it a shitty review, then you post some shit about liking it more and more a few weeks later.. What the fuck is that?? Try letting an album digest for once instead of vomiting out reviews in 5 minutes.

let's see:

np:

Congrats on the 1K posts! Excellent way to celebrate!

]

:lol:

Yeah, so obviously you're just butthurt at this point and there's no point in trying. I didn't say that I review CDs for the free music. I said that the only benefit I get from it (UNLIKE OTHER BLOGS, ZINES, MAGAZINES, ETC., WHO DO SHIT FOR PROFIT) is free music. EVERYONE who reviews music gets free music, dude. And I continue to buy albums of bands that I love. I pre-ordered the new Vintersorg record despite that I will get free mp3s of it, I pre-ordered the new Rhapsody record, I will pre-order the new Opeth and Symphony X CDs, not to mention making a POINT of buying independent releases that I like. Before I moved to Sweden I had a lot of vinyl and now that I've got a system set up here I'll be buying more vinyl. I support bands more by promoting their CDs for purchase than most people do by just purchasing a CD and giving the band their 25 cents. If TWO people go out and buy a record that I promote it's worth more than if I just go out myself and buy it.

Anyway, I'm done with this. It's obvious to me that you're just going to be a bitter little bitch and I see no point in continuing having exchanges with you, since you've made up your mind.

NP: Before the Dawn - Deathstar Rising :headbang:

I think that it's impossible for people not to get emotional on the Net, but as you said, some are little bitches that really have no argument or point whatsover.

Indeed, I actually prefer to buy directly from the band. I've just realised that I prefer to buy a shirt from the band and have it being happy about it, then buying a record in which the label will keep all the money and the band will get, at the most ¢25. It's a lot nicer to buy stuff at the gigs because the band is really happy that one is given them one's money. I'll always remember Devin Townsend thanking me for buying the hoodie, even if he stepped twice on my fingers during the gig :lol: . But, just like you, I love to buy the albums (however, totally broke now haha).

And really, congrats on the site; I can tell that it's really taken off. Kudos :kickass: .

Actually, I said I was "pretty sure that." Or "this has gotta be the first time.." as in "I'm not backed up with facts, but I've never heard it before."

Yeah, it's opinions. I don't large amounts of research. We do publish a review EVERY SINGLE DAY. I may know a lot about metal, but I am not a never-ending fountain of random knowledge. I do actually go to school full time, have a girlfriend who I like to spend with, write music, enjoy playing xbox and a number of other things.

But let me tell you about this reviewing industry. I recently gave the new Moonsorrow record a 5/5. It was the first English review and it was a glowing review. Because of that I had about a billion fucking Moonsorrow fans flood my website. If I advertized and 2 percent of those people clicked an ad, then I'd be earning money every time I'm able to do something like that. This means that I am incentivized to say NICE things about EVERY SINGLE RECORD I receive in order to get bands and fans to post those links.

This is what review sites do. Rarely do you see bad reviews, much less scathing reviews and rarely does anyone say what they actually think about an album. Everything gets 7 stars and everyone is pleased with themselves.

But of course that's not the case. When you hear 300 records a year, how many of them stick with you? Well, with me about 20, max. And those records should be the ones that are really in the 9-10 range. Everything else should be below that. Yeah, this is good (3/5 or 6/10) but it's not something I'm going to come back to often. 5/10 is yeah, it's OK. It's not horrible but I don't see listening to it much.

Sure there might be more, but honestly, it's just ridiculous. If you buy one new record a week you'd still never have enough time to really digest everything you buy. The industry puts out crazy amounts of shit. And the shit is rigged for hits, clicks and access to bands and labels. 'Cause labels just want free advertizing.

That said, I love to listen to new music and write reviews. I think it's fun, I enjoy doing it and I enjoy that people give enough of a shit about my opinion to come to my website and read what I have to say about that. A good reviewer is someone who you find who pretty much agrees with you and so I find it gratifying that people show up and read my reviews because they agree with me (or because they think my reviews are fun to read and/or entertaining). That's totally awesome.

But should we all take record reviewers seriously? Not a chance in hell. Most reviewers would suck someone off to get access to their favorite bands and would do it without blinking. I don't think there's an iota independence among most reviewers. They know which side their bread is buttered on and they wander down that path as far as it'll take them.

I don't do that. I think it's bullshit. That's why I don't advertise (though I'm thinking about doing it to help try to pay for hosting costs—so I guess that makes me a hypocrite). I get free music, that's all I get out of this. And so long as I still get that, I'm going to keep saying what records I think are shit despite it pissing off fans, and I refuse to overrate popular bands' CDs just 'cause they're popular.

People take this shit way too personally. It's just music. We all like different shit.

NP: Fen - The Malediction Fields

@Agah: Heathens! m/ Good shit. They have a new track up on their BandCamp: http://heathens.bandcamp.com/

Ah finally, somebody that thinks like me! I had a lot of problems in the site (metalicos) where I wrote because I said "this album is great, unlike the usual CRn shit". Damn, I even had to write a fucking apology for the site; screw that shit. (Sorry.)

I agree with everything you said. A guy at metalicos wrote the review for the new Falkenbach album, and gave him a 90. Well of course he can write what he wants, but said review only confirmed his bias and how he's totally sold out because he gets tons of promo CDs to review.

Now:

Die Toten Hosen
: Alles Aus Liebe

Ah this song is brilliant.

Therion - Lemuria (2004)

A very strong release from Therion, and one of my favourites!

lemuria.jpg

this is true but the problem is: when you have a whole lot of supporters and followers who all agree with you, you eventually will start to think your opinion has more weight or matters more. I mean i can suggest whatever great shit on here and nobody will listen to me or bother to check it out, because i'm just some stupid chick from the netz. When *you* suggest the same thing 3 months later, everybody will be stumbling over to check it out. The more followers you have the more snobbish you will eventually become, and your reviews will start to reflect that. Mind you, i'm not talking about *you* personally, but about any reviewer with considerable followers base. That's why i don't follow any metal bloggers, even those i often agree with, like yourself.

this is true but the problem is: when you have a whole lot of supporters and followers who all agree with you, you eventually will start to think your opinion has more weight or matters more. I mean i can suggest whatever great shit on here and nobody will listen to me or bother to check it out, because i'm just some stupid chick from the netz. When *you* suggest the same thing 3 months later, everybody will be stumbling over to check it out. The more followers you have the more snobbish you will eventually become, and your reviews will start to reflect that. Mind you, i'm not talking about *you* personally, but about any reviewer with considerable followers base. That's why i don't follow any metal bloggers, even those i often agree with, like yourself.

I get your point. I hopefully won't do that. I have no desire to make trends, only to promote music I love. I started doing the Vintersorg myspace for that purpose. I love Vintersorg's music. I find his stuff to be absolutely exhilarating and so I just did that. I promote bands that I think are fucking cool like Heathens or Shroud of Despondency and I hope that my plugging them gets them listeners and record sales—but I would never say that my opinion is more important than someone else's opinion. Because, well, that's impossible! :lol: Opinions are by definition subjective and therefore while I may *joke* that I am the standard by which all should be judged, I don't actually believe and I hope that I would never, ever get that full of myself. :lol:

But yeah, I don't follow any bloggers either.

NP: Kebnekajse - Idioten — UNDERBART. :hotjump: