The New album is called Watershed : Out June 2nd

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=89988

OPETH Covers ALICE IN CHAINS, ROBIN TROWER During New Album Sessions - Feb. 5, 2008

Swedish progressive metal titans OPETH have set "Watershed" as the title of their forthcoming album, due out on June 3 via Roadrunner Records (one day earlier internationally). The CD, recorded in the band's native Sweden and produced by frontman/guitarist Mikael Åkerfeldt and Jens Bogren, is a masterwork that follows the time-honored OPETH tradition; its modern yet timeless, progressive yet paying homage to the sounds of classic rock.

"Watershed" track listing:

01. Coil
02. Heir Apparent
03. The Lotus Eater
04. Burden
05. Porcelain Heart
06. Hessian Peel
07. Hex Omega

All the songs were written by Åkerfeldt apart from "Porcelain Heart", which was co-written with new guitarist Fredrik Åkesson. One additonal track, "Derelict Herds", was also recorded and this was written by Mikael Åkerfeldt and Per Wiberg. On top of this, three cover songs were recorded. "Bridge of Sighs" from ROBIN TROWER's 1974 LP of the same title, "Den Ständiga Resan" (sung in Swedish) by MARIE FREDRIKSSON as well as the classic ALICE IN CHAINS song "Would?"

The album was recorded at Fascination Street studios during November 1 and December 13. Some additional recording was done between January 3 and January 7.

Says Mikael Åkerfeldt: "I've worked so hard with these songs for quite some time now, I've listened to 'em a zillion times. I don't hate them just yet! The album sounds great sonically and I think I can hear us evolving as the record plays on. It is taking us somewhere musically and I don't know where. It's very exciting to say the least! I can't remember having enjoyed a recording this much ever before."

The cover was (as usual) designed by Travis Smith in co-operation with Åkerfeldt.

Great news. I don't think I have ever waited so eagerly for an album as this one. All this talk about surprises and change of course makes me so unbearebly excited.

Btw... While in the studio Opeth also recorded 3 cover songs right? Does anyone know wich ones they are?

Edit: Ok just read it on the website.

Wow. Overanalizing information we have so far has already started LOL. Nothing, absoulutely nothing wrong with that though ;)

I'm excited like a little girl. Going through all those pesky exams will be much easier knowing that after that I'll be on an opeth binge from then on 'till eternity.

Fantastical news....and a female vocal .....thsi si a frist....i cant wait for the record man....its gonna slay all false metal.....and many of u would say...rape a nuns anus...!!!!....go opeth....PEAC EOUT

yeah victorland MUST give us a semi indepth review haha! if he wants anyways!

track times, how much growling is on the record, how much clean singing, ect.

reminds me of the one person that heard the new mars volta on their forum, he was slammed with questions!

I like Mikael's vocals, but I can't possibly imagine he'll do "Would?" justice. His voice is way too clean and I can't see him belting out some of the lines with anywhere near the impact on the original, especially the chorus and the outro. He's just never done any vocals in a remotely similar style to Staley's saw-edged wailing. His voice fits fine on the verse, but not otherwise. Maybe I'll be surprised.

Robin Trower cover is going to be great.

I didnt expect the alice in chains cover ever!

maybe it will be the song that gets them noticed outside of the metal community

they posted it off rr.com.au

it took a while before they put it up on the .com

Would is an interesting choice from AIC's great catalog. Not my fav of theirs, but sprinkle in a dash of Opeth & who knows ??

Can't wait to hear the new material & see the many tours that will follow !

I like Mikael's vocals, but I can't possibly imagine he'll do "Would?" justice. His voice is way too clean and I can't see him belting out some of the lines with anywhere near the impact on the original, especially the chorus and the outro. He's just never done any vocals in a remotely similar style to Staley's saw-edged wailing. His voice fits fine on the verse, but not otherwise. Maybe I'll be surprised.

Cantrell sang the verses on that right?