Less "death" vocals

Well, when I heard Blackwater Park or Deliverance, I didn't think his growl could get better, but then he shows up on GR kicking fucking ass!
Also, not everything has to be a progression - I mean, look at Mikaels guitar playing. It hasn't increased dramatically (not that it's at all bad). Just like you don't expect him to pick up the violin in the name of progression, doesn't mean he has to growl less.

All of this is being said, while I haven't heard a note of Watershed, so I don't know whether I'll like the apparent "softness" of the album or not.
Yeah, your right, I'm sure he wasn't like, I've achieved as a death vocalist, so lets do less. After listening it just seems to feel logical i thought, that's just the feeling I got.

I like Opeth because they play cool, interesting music. I could really care less how much of it is death metal.

Yeah, your right, I'm sure he wasn't like, I've achieved as a death vocalist, so lets do less. After listening it just seems to feel logical i thought, that's just the feeling I got.

agreed. i think that the clean vocals fit perfectly where they are. i dont think if they threw growls into the heavy parts of porcelain heart or swapped out certain sections of lotus eater that it would work as well/have the same impact...at all.

people had the same issue with GR. that it was more clean vocals than before (to them). yet i feel the same about that. i mean...if he growled more in harlequin forest than sang it would destroy the feeling of the song IMO.

then again, i dont care if its heavy or soft, as long as it sounds good to me, i'll listen to it/like it.

...but do they?

Wow faggot.

Did you even watch the Lamentations documentary where Mike says something along the lines of "OPETH IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A DEATH METAL BAND". What the fuck, morons on this board piss me off, go listen to Tool you trendy faggot.:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

Wow faggot.

Did you even watch the Lamentations documentary where Mike says something along the lines of "OPETH IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A DEATH METAL BAND". What the fuck, morons on this board piss me off, go listen to Tool you trendy faggot.:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opeth
"I don't see the point of playing in a band and going just one way when you can do everything. It would be impossible for us to play just death metal; that is our roots, but we are now a mishmash of everything, and not purists to any form of music. It's impossible for us to do that, and quite frankly I would think of it as boring to be in a band that plays just metal music. We're not afraid to experiment, or to be caught with our pants down, so to speak. That's what keeps us going."
-Åkerfeldt

Ümlaut;7229775 said:
"I don't see the point of playing in a band and going just one way when you can do everything. It would be impossible for us to play just death metal; that is our roots, but we are now a mishmash of everything, and not purists to any form of music. It's impossible for us to do that, and quite frankly I would think of it as boring to be in a band that plays just metal music. We're not afraid to experiment, or to be caught with our pants down, so to speak. That's what keeps us going."
-Åkerfeldt

Are you seriously linking me to a Wiki page :lol::lol::lol:

Not only that but there are like 5-6 instances on that page where they label Opeth as Death Metal. Fucking retard kill yourself. :zombie:

Ümlaut;7229803 said:
Translation

:erk:

Go to 1:03, calls themselves Death Metal. Could probably go through that entire documentary and the Lamentations one and find several other moments where Mike labels the band as being Death Metal. All you porcupine tree fankids need to stfu, Opeth ARE Death Metal whether it be fully or partially is up to debate, but you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Also, Wikipedia is a retarded source and you will be laughed at for using it in any type of argument. A website controlled by the general public of the internet? lmao yeah like that is credible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ümlaut;7229775 said:
-Åkerfeldt

Yeah we will see what happens if they stray to far from death metal....already some complaints about the "new style"

Well I wouldn't really bet money on any statement Mike has made about the band's direction, especially one he made ages ago. Everyone is prone to self-contradictions. He said before GR that it was gonna be a real heavy album (forgot the details exactly, but i think the word 'black' was mentioned) and it wasn't so heavy; same before the upcoming one. Both Porcelain Heart and Lotus Eater show prog rock trends. I wouldn't really be surprised if a couple albums ahead the band completely sheds off its death metal influence.

Well I wouldn't really bet money on any statement Mike has made about the band's direction, especially one he made ages ago. Everyone is prone to self-contradictions. He said before GR that it was gonna be a real heavy album (forgot the details exactly, but i think the word 'black' was mentioned) and it wasn't so heavy; same before the upcoming one. Both Porcelain Heart and Lotus Eater show prog rock trends. I wouldn't really be surprised if a couple albums ahead the band completely sheds off its death metal influence.

I kinda agree but I also hope they dont forget what helped get them to where they are now.

Also, Wikipedia is a retarded source and you will be laughed at for using it in any type of argument. A website controlled by the general public of the internet? lmao yeah like that is credible.
Where do you get your info's? Encyclopedia Dramatica?

My other brain is wikipedia.

Also, I'm not disputing that Opeth have death metal characteristics. I am disputing that they claim to be fully death metal. They're not. Newest album is quite evident of that.

However, I still find the new album to be quite 'metal' either way. :headbang:

Opeth isn't progressive rock.

If Opeth fits into any genre, it is progressive death metal.

However, I think Opeth is a genre of their own.

Ümlaut;7230087 said:
Opeth isn't progressive rock.

If Opeth fits into any genre, it is progressive death metal.

However, I think Opeth is a genre of their own.

I didn't say they were ;)

But the direction is definitely towards the softer side I think. Iirc Akerfeldt is listening to less metal than before and this shows in Ghost Reveries as a whole and PH and TLE.