Less "death" vocals

Puzzlebox

Jan 20, 2006
was it a conscious decision to make watershed with less death vocals. it's almost 80% clean vocals, although Heir Apparent is about the heaviest song Opeth has ever done.

Or is it just the way it came out for Mike..?

I don't think Opeth is headed for mellower territory, because for this round of tours they're playing their heaviest material...

I just want some insight into what Mike was thinking when he penned the new music...

And here's to hoping the next album after watershed will be 80% heavy and 20% mellow...

I think the chick they use in ---- was a mistake. She is very low-level compared to the majority of metal vocal chicks out there. The chick from "sins of thy beloved" would have been a far better choice if they could have gotten that to happen

Why does it matter? It's still Opeth.
I would be completely fine with Opeth doing another album like Damnation.

No matter what the sound is/will be, it's Opeth. It's progressive metal to the highest degree. Who knows, the next album may make Deliverance sound like Hannah Montanna's Justin Timberlake blowfest...:erk::lol::erk::rolleyes::Smug::ill:

i think ive coughed sneezed and hiccuped before...
i would actually prefer if they added more death vocals. i think 80 % is too much. if they want to be labeled as a death metal band they might wanna turn up those vocals a notch. dont get me wrong, i love opeth and how they seamlessly wind together clean and growled vocals, but i think they could atleast try using more death vocals.

I havent heard Mike show much interest in the metal scene lately. It's almost a given that the new material would be less metal just because of that.

honestly speaking, i think the decision was a good one on his part. GR benefited from it IMO, as not only is Mikael constantly improving as a vocalist, but it just added a hell of alot more to some of the songs where youd normally expect to hear the growls. I feel more so for the new songs....especially since mikaels vocals are even better on this album (of what ive heard) than GR.

i say, as long as it fits/works, do it.

What the F are u talking about? Watershed is about their heaviest album. By heaviest I mean with the least clean vocal/guitars. Maybe I need to listen again but that was my first impression.

Seeing as it's more likely he writes music before thinking of vox, it might've come later. After all, his clean vocals on this album fit the music perfectly, more than growls etc would ever have. And if it was a chance to show off his clean vocals then rightly so, because they're fantastic.

watershed is the 2nd lightest album they've put out (damnation being the lightest), i think mike has improved his clean vocals, and i absolutely love Heir Apparent and Hessian Peel, but i was hoping for a brutally heavy album. I'm hoping that they take everyone by surprise and give us heavier than Deliverance next time around :)

And here's to hoping the next album after watershed will be 80% heavy and 20% mellow...

No thanks.

Why do people care about their own perceived 'heavyness' of Opeths music? Shouldn't it be about the quality of what it is they're doing, not how 'brutal' it is?

Besides, I certainly don't think Watershed is lacking in heavy riffs- it contains some of their heaviest, IMO, and the contrast between the heavy riffs and the even-softer-than-normal mellow parts makes them appear even heavier.

After all, his clean vocals on this album fit the music perfectly, more than growls etc would ever have.

I agree.