Less "death" vocals

...and this shows in Ghost Reveries as a whole and PH and TLE.

So this must only be a problem for those who strictly like death metal. I like Opeth for it's musicians and lyrics. Their music sounds fantastic to me whether it be heavy or less heavy. Damnation was a fantastic album. :headbang:

If you can't rock out to Damnation... :err:

Ümlaut;7230143 said:
So this must only be a problem for those who strictly like death metal. I like Opeth for it's musicians and lyrics. Their music sounds fantastic to me whether it be heavy or less heavy. Damnation was a fantastic album. :headbang:

If you can't rock out to Damnation... :err:

You cant really state that. The mello material is cool ,but after awhile it can get bland. What makes Opeth so great is their ability to put the two together. With the new album there isnt much mixing of the styles ,and it sounds a bit forced. I listen to Opeth because of the diversity ,and I dont want them to lose a key element of their sound.

It's almost ... "watered down".... hehe

Guys, we shouldn't discuss the leaks...
Leeks?
leekspin.gif

Wow faggot.

Did you even watch the Lamentations documentary where Mike says something along the lines of "OPETH IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A DEATH METAL BAND". What the fuck, morons on this board piss me off, go listen to Tool you trendy faggot.:zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

WOW!! You need to chill the fuck out, kid! GROW UP!!:zombie:

I just want it known, as I am the originator of this thread, that I didnt intend on the direction of this discussion going this way.

Every Opeth Album is great and every single song is great. Every time I see them live and they play different songs, this is proven to me. It's almost overwhelming to me how great each song is, whether it's heavy or soft.

I was merely mentioning that I'd like to know (from Mike, if possible) if he intentionally went this way, or if it was a result of creativity.

And I mentioned my personal preferance of having it reversesed on the next album (80% death metal / 20% mellow) as opposed to what WaterShed is.

It doesnt mean at all that I dont like the way Watershed turned out. To the contrary, Opeth continues to outdue itself, which continues to be overwhelming!

Sorry if this thread turned into a discussion of whether "heavier" Opeth is better than not.

Opeth is and will continue to be (but only Mike knows for sure) a blending of those two elements!

^ Lol. Chill out you too man. That last phrase sounds right out of some cheesy black metal song.

I didn't say they were ;)

But the direction is definitely towards the softer side I think. Iirc Akerfeldt is listening to less metal than before and this shows in Ghost Reveries as a whole and PH and TLE.

the majority of TLE is heavy. vocal approach? maybe not, but musically, yes. if thats what youre talking about....not all metal music has screams/growls.