The New Isis

I'll probably end up buying it sometime soon. I thought 'Oceanic' was great, even though I never really gave it time to reach its full potential. I've always dug their expansive sound, though, and should probably give the new one about 10 whirls to see what all the cool kids are listening to.

Alright, sign me up bitch! It's just that I look at them in their emo tight t-shirts and cropped hair dos, and I think 'where's the long hair and Odin swords in the decaying woodland of icy autumns?' sort of thing... :loco:

JayKeeley said:
Alright, sign me up bitch! It's just that I look at them in their emo tight t-shirts and cropped hair dos, and I think 'where's the long hair and Odin swords in the decaying woodland of icy autumns?' sort of thing... :loco:
Dude, look in the mirror!!!! :loco:

Everywhere not in the underground, cduniverse.com has it cheapest from what I've seen.

I got mine from The End for $13.50, which is fairly expensive for them, I think. You'll be hard pressed to find it for $10 like everything else. And you won't find it in your usual metal mailorders. You might need to go with Vintage Vinyl, AMazon.com or CD Universe. Or you can wait for The End, or hopefully Dark Symphonies or Willowtip to get it.

I just got done listening to this for the first time and I can already say that it's probable top 3 material. Wow. Just fucking wow. Whereas 'Oceanic' was like being crushed underneath several 50 foot waves, 'Panopticon' ("of many eyes"? does this title refer to satellite observation, a modern society Big Brother kind of deal? (thus the cover)) is like being pulled under by a massive riptide and occasionally being able to rise to the surface to grasp for breath... of course, only to be shoved under the brutal tide once again. Jaykeeley, your top 10 list will be completely invalid if you don't at least hear this.

You dirty fucker, if you don't like it just sell it to me. I'll hold off buying it for awhile.

Isis > Mastodon

(judging from the newest releases from each, since that's all I've heard)

Dn't worry about being deceived into buying another -core album, besides the vocals, which are used sparingly, there is very little that betrays that background. And don't worry about losing patience during the long instrumental passages either. This album transcends labels. This is music from an...

...I had better stop now. The praise for Panopticon here is dangerously close to "best album ever" territory. Not that isn't deserving, but still...

Black Winter Day said:
I just got done listening to this for the first time and I can already say that it's probable top 3 material. Wow. Just fucking wow. Whereas 'Oceanic' was like being crushed underneath several 50 foot waves, 'Panopticon' ("of many eyes"? does this title refer to satellite observation, a modern society Big Brother kind of deal? (thus the cover)) is like being pulled under by a massive riptide and occasionally being able to rise to the surface to grasp for breath... of course, only to be shoved under the brutal tide once again. Jaykeeley, your top 10 list will be completely invalid if you don't at least hear this.
Ya, they have a bunch of said quotes inside the booklet.

Panopticon IS NOT -core. The vocals are in no way shouted, screamed, or yelled. Other than the clean vocals, all you have are those caveman grunts. Plus, the vocals are used so sparingly that they really just blend in with the music (and they are low in the mix, too). And the music....the music....is just too beautiful, subtle, and just to fucking good to be held down by such limiting labels.

As far as Mastodon, they aren't even in the same fucking league as Isis.

And yes BWD, Panopticon is about the kind of "Big Brother" conspiracy theories.

the snare and the drummer don't bother me at all. I like the steady mid-pace of the album.

Easily my #1 album of the year so far.

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that Panopticon beats one of Neurosis' trifecta masterpieces (Souls at Zero), and perhaps ties (or just below) Through SIlver in BLood. Hardly any album comes close to Times of Grace.

And you can take that to the bank...

OK so it transcends genres then? That's good. It's just that when you type it into CDuniverse or Amazon, the "cross sell" albums are: Neurosis, Melvins, Cult of Luna, and Old Man Gloom -- all bands that I would 'typically' ignore.

If you people who are raving about this album ALSO like those bands then I am still wary to the point where I might want a CD-R of this first. NAD - sort me out mate.