the nicknames thread

from the movie 'dead man'.. there's not so direct connection to the movie, but one line.. actually that name just came to my mind for some weird reason when signed in..?

miine came about in an odd way. my band was playing a gig in San Francisco about 2 years ago, and before hand the lead singer was watching Aliens. before the gig started he asked me to play a "scary, sci-fi, atmospheric" kind of guitar solo before we went into one of our epic songs. after the drum solo in the song he introduced the band, and he introduced me as podboy. at first i was really puzzled and confused, since my real name is Hart and i had no idea where it came from. but it since has stuck with me

THE RIME OF THE AAAAAAAAAANCIENT MAAARINER nothing more nothing less! best Maidensong ever. period.

It's just me name adding an 83 (year I was born) at the end. Not so sophisticated,ehh?

Fuckin' hell! The Man Utd game is on in ten minutes!!! We'll trash the wankers! I'm off!

where does your name come from then moody?

hmm. mine is from when i was 15 or something
something from during latin classes, meaning coming from the stars
(yawn)
but i discovered it as well to be a creepy kind of fish, yeah!

someone nicked me moody once, can't remember who it was tho :confused: but moody fits :). next time i'll go for sick.pervert, that'd suits me better :lol:

A couple of years ago I was reading some poetry of a really great greek poet named K. Kariotakis. There is a compilation of poems he wrote that is releashed with the title "Elegy and satires". Somewhere I read that this compilation was about to be releashed with no title on the cover, just a rough draft of scull and crossbones in a way that the scull would be the symbol of zero and the crossbones the symbol of the infinity as it is symbolized in maths. Beneath that sketch would be written these words : "With zero and infinity to become reconciled...". I got really impressed with these words so I tried to think how would they be in latin. Unfortunatelly, I only found out that "To infinity..." in latin is "Ad Infinitum...", noone gave me a proper translation in latin of the words I got obsessed in.:(
Anyway, the words "Ad Infinitum..." became my new obsession (yes, I get obsessed a lot with things like that...), so it was the first think that came into my mind when I had to choose a nick.
Sorry for this long story of my nick, but since you asked...:)

my nickname just popped inside me head in june,while studying Penal Law :( .many latin terms there.then i remembered how much i love the sound of the word"tenebrae"and the rest of the name came suddenly to me head hehe.then i sat down and wrote a "poem"(or whatever)called somnium in tenebris,dedicated to the king of dreams,Morpheus.
(the only thing i didnt do,as you understand,is study :rolleyes: )
it means "a dream in the dark(ness)"

Originally posted by somnium_in_tenebris
then i sat down and wrote a "poem"(or whatever)called somnium in tenebris,dedicated to the king of dreams,Morpheus.

How romantic
biggrinlove.gif
;)

Originally posted by Mariner
How romantic
biggrinlove.gif
;)

nono,haha!it is just my life obsession with the comic series "The Sandman"from major Neil Gaiman(dc comics).
anyone who can find it in comic stores should read it.i think it suits the moods of most ppl in here and it's even darker than that,trust me...
Elf and fairy lovers check out "Timothy hunter and the Books of magic" :worship: ,also very dark,also from Neil Gaiman.then you'll see when miss Rowling got the idea for Harry Potter...
both series releases late 80's early 90's.

well mine comes from the Lenore comic book from Roman Dirge.

I just love this character , and want a daughter just as her :)

see : cute , isn t she? :D

lenore_mad_power.jpg

Originally posted by podboy6
miine came about in an odd way. my band was playing a gig in San Francisco about 2 years ago, and before hand the lead singer was watching Aliens. before the gig started he asked me to play a "scary, sci-fi, atmospheric" kind of guitar solo before we went into one of our epic songs. after the drum solo in the song he introduced the band, and he introduced me as podboy. at first i was really puzzled and confused, since my real name is Hart and i had no idea where it came from. but it since has stuck with me

Podboy is also the nickname of Chris Vrenna ( ex NIN , guy of 'Tweaker' and genius producer )

Well i dunno if you care , but if you do & like what he does you can be proud :cool: