The Odyssey Cover!

you all are too fucking cynical.. what i see in it, is how great it is for the band that a room full of people love them enough and are excited enough about them to play their song.. that has to be quite a compiment, no matter if theyre good at it or not. and for the record, they did quite a good job i thought.

Indeed they get the A for effort, but they also fail because of the guitarist's tone. You can't have a Simfuny Secks song, let alone a Symphony X song, without badass overcompressed European High Gain distortion.

Oh, PLEASE..."really missing Russell Allen around now"...then listen to the CD. Nobody professed them to be as good as SX. Obviously they love the music too and decided to play the longest song. I think they deserve props just for doing it as well as they did. I have total respect for these guys.

If I ever get to the point I can play the Odyssey on guitar (lol not likely), I guess I'll just do it by myself and never play it for anybody. Somebody might say something like "I'm really missing Michael Romeo around now."

well i just mean i thought the singing was aweful... i mean if they were at all decent I wouldn't have said anything, but they were pretty bad IMO.

so yes, I didn't think they did the vocals any justice, and I'm not affraid to say so, so stop whining about!

Zach and I have had our disagrements... but...

[ ] Balls
[X] Stupidity

in my opinion, if someone's going to tackle something like this, they need to do it RIGHT. No Symphony X fan wants to hear a shitty, out of tune version of the odyssey, it just ruins it.

The sound quality was bad, the guitarist was out. But I liked the fact that they had an orchestra there. How the heck did they figure out the parts to that? If I had the parts, I bet I could do a good job with it.

We're not being harsh. Why do something half assed? It doesn't matter that it's a huge undertaking. I'm not going to applaud someone for doing a shitty job on anything. I don't care how tough it is, don't do it if you can't make it ace.

The sound quality was bad, the guitarist was out. But I liked the fact that they had an orchestra there. How the heck did they figure out the parts to that? If I had the parts, I bet I could do a good job with it.

well i gotta say, i thought the guitarist was the best part (except his tone was reason to hang him, and thats not the say he was really great anyway)

"How the heck did they figure that stuff out?" you ask...

well according to my ears... they didn't...

make it ace to you guys is play it exactly like symphony x...and they aren't symphony x, it was a well done cover, it is in no way bad! compared to symphony x it doesn't sound the same big woop, perhaps that was the purpose? I don't feel they failed at anything, they did very well!

They did an alright job, just the fact the orchestra wasn't tuned in made it sound pretty crap. I'd still like to see someone else here do a better job. ;)

make it ace to you guys is play it exactly like symphony x...and they aren't symphony x, it was a well done cover, it is in no way bad! compared to symphony x it doesn't sound the same big woop, perhaps that was the purpose? I don't feel they failed at anything, they did very well!

Your ears are broken. I don't give two shits if it sounds like symphony x. Covers that sound exactly like the original are boring. The point is that the guitar tone was terrible, the orchestra was out of tune, everything was just harsh on the ears, and the singer had no power in his voice. This is not a respectable effort in my eyes.

Kudos to them for trying. Not terribly impressed though.

Also, please shoot the crowd or something. :p

i don't see why everyone who loves this cover is recommending to all the ones who hate it to "try it themselves" and "let's see you do it better." i wouldn't try it in front of an audience if i knew i couldn't do it right.

it's just a shitty cover. they tried, and they didn't do it well. it's great when a band does a cover and it sounds different from the original, but in this case, don't use it as an excuse as to why this sucks; i don't think they're trying to sway too far off the original, they're just half-assing their way through it.

i'm sorry, but i'm not gonna applaud this just for the effort.