The Old Katatonia

I love both the new and old Katatonia. Lately I've been listening quite a lot DoDS and JEM. Just couple weeks back I noticed that my local record store had new remastered version of DoDS that I didn't yet have and of course bought it right away. It's got also JEM songs as bonus. I was bit disappointed with this reissue though because they didn't get Anders telling about the JEM & DoDS era as in BMD and DO reissues. But anyways DoDS is awesome in it's sheer depression. Classic!

And BMD is also classic!

Dance Of December Souls is the greatest Black/Doom Album ever :) Nothing can fuck with it...league of its own...just like every other Katatonia release.

I like all the albums, the old ones are really doom-ish they're fantastic. The albums has the same theme but they play them in a different way. There isn't another band which can capture the feeling of depression and sadness..

There is far more "newer" Katatonia than there is older, so that is a big thing to me. Only two full-length albums with the old style, compared to about five of the new sound.

I personally love Dance Of December Souls, and I like it better than Brave Murder Day by a lot actually, ha. The synth and the acoustics on Dance Of December Souls are so fantastic. Whoever said that the album had no feeling, or something about being boring is nuts because that album is never not emotional in my opinion. I like Brave Murder Day, but if Sounds Of Decay had 3 more songs, I would like that better than Brave Murder Day as well. But maybe not really, ha. Some days I like it better than others. I also fucking love For Funerals To Come. Funeral Wedding is just stunning.

I must say that it is a good thing that they changed their style, otherwise we would never have heard Jonas' lovely vocals. I think that my favourite new style album is Viva Emptiness with Last Fair Deal Gone Down coming in at a slight second.

Older shit

Brave Murder Day and For Funerals to Come are their best, in my opinion. FFTC would have been their greatest if it was a full length, because to me, personally...it goes beyond depressing, and just captures my imagination. It reminds me of an early 1900's sort of scenario, with parks, old benches, olden clothes, and streets.
I know...it's very strange.