THE one most disappointing moment of any Opeth song.

Moonlapse said:
6:29 of Twilight is my Robe... after that insane solo, instead of taking the orgasm further somehow, it just reverts back to some ballady sounding thing.

:OMG::OMG::OMG::OMG::OMG::OMG:
YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!?!?
That's my favorite opeth riff ever!!!! the best piece of music that has ever been written!!!!!

LiB said:
the song blackwater park, it starts off REALLY amazing for the first few minutes, then all of a sudden the climatic orgasm i was planning to have it cuts into a quiet acoustic bit and it lasts for FIVE FUCKING MINUTES, then cuts back into the heavy part, i always have to skip 5 minutes when i listen to that song or i just die of boredom.

I like that part. It's pretty tricky to play, moreso if you use a pick.

LiB said:
the song blackwater park, it starts off REALLY amazing for the first few minutes, then all of a sudden the climatic orgasm i was planning to have it cuts into a quiet acoustic bit and it lasts for FIVE FUCKING MINUTES, then cuts back into the heavy part, i always have to skip 5 minutes when i listen to that song or i just die of boredom.

No way.... BWP is one of their best songs. The dreamy quiet part is much better than the beginning.... and it really ups the effect of that HUGE riff that comes crashing in right afterwards. Then all hell breaks loose for the rest of the song. One of my top 3 Opeth songs.

And as for you John Gargo, give Dirge For November a break!

the sudden death vocals in Master's Apprentices....I don't mind it, but it seems slightly forced, that's all.

and i think the mellow part in "karma" is too short, it's great. if that song had more melody, then it would be one of their best

i think that's it..

That bass bit in Twilight....It disappoints me a little bit. There's also a riff in Nectar which I don't like.

And you fucking listen to The Funeral Portrait loud, and realise how much it slays. Fuckers.

Deliverance is an album which I enjoy. But only the middle section of A Fair Judgement gives me joygasms, opposed to the multiple joygasms per-song I get from the other albums.

SunlapseVertigo said:
No way.... BWP is one of their best songs. The dreamy quiet part is much better than the beginning.... and it really ups the effect of that HUGE riff that comes crashing in right afterwards. Then all hell breaks loose for the rest of the song. One of my top 3 Opeth songs.

granted, i have nothing against breaks that prelude the sound of a massive riff...but five minutes? come on i could go away have a shit make some coffee come back again and still have enough time to write about how boring this bit is. its almost half the song total.

I never found the brilliance in Blackwater Park, although parts of it are very good. It hasn't clicked yet.....Maybe it will in time. (I'm talking about the song, not the album)

SunlapseVertigo said:
I'll say it again... Good song, but it just doesn't match up to the standards of everything else Opeth have done (excluding a few of the acoustic interludes). To say something positive about it, the introduction is absolutely beautiful (as is the ending).

I'd say pretty much the entire Deliverance album minus A Fair Judgement and By the Pain I see in Others. I don't listen to Opeth for heaviness like it seems a lot of people do. I like their heavy stuff, but when I want heavy, I throw on some death or black metal. When I want melody and great songwriting, I put on Opeth.

It just sounds like all of the "heaviness" on Deliverance is really forced like "hey, we can be really heavy, too!" However, the drumming was fantastic on that album.

FlatteningOfEmotions said:
I'd say pretty much the entire Deliverance album minus A Fair Judgement and By the Pain I see in Others. I don't listen to Opeth for heaviness like it seems a lot of people do. I like their heavy stuff, but when I want heavy, I throw on some death or black metal. When I want melody and great songwriting, I put on Opeth.

It just sounds like all of the "heaviness" on Deliverance is really forced like "hey, we can be really heavy, too!" However, the drumming was fantastic on that album.

heaviness is good

John Gargo said:
I'll say it again... Good song, but it just doesn't match up to the standards of everything else Opeth have done (excluding a few of the acoustic interludes). To say something positive about it, the introduction is absolutely beautiful (as is the ending).

hear hear!