The 'Opeth Effect'

I think it matters who's opinion you listen to. I find myself constantly told, via advertising and media etc, what to like, how to look, what to eat..blah blah f**kin blah. This is all a nice little distraction isn't it? Even the Christian Crusade we've just had was a distraction to keep us from dealing with issues at a grass roots level.
Give 'em more Big Brother, let them think about that...
Comfortably numb or what!

Bambi said:
how many units did orchid and morningrise shift before they signed to mfn?? :Smug:

this is the point here mariner.......................*

and this is you completely missing it.......................................................................................:loco:

:lol:

it was just an addition to your post. i understand your post more then enough :p for once :ill:

Well, I'm glad Mick has cleared things up a bit...makes sense now.

And BTW, I will NEVER see how a person can hate something one day, then all the sudden think it's the greatest piece of work ever! Too drastic, though...I do believe in the fact that music sometimes has to grow on you upon every listen. I'll use Opeth as an example again; long songs, you may see the greatness but can't fully digest everything at once. Black Rose Immortal, honestly, didn't do much for me at first (parts stood out, sure), but now I can recall every single part and think it's an incredible song.

The fact is, it seems in order for bands to HIT IT BIG in the mainstream now, you gotta rely on marketing. That's the SAD truth, unfortunately. Shit like MTV, Much Music, radio play, etc. to get your band out there to the world. Most people are lazy and don't mind the media feeding them music they are FORCED to like (in a kinda way). Me, well...I search for music I like. I used to be a victim of that MTV/Muchmusic crap. I used to think Nirvana/Metallica/Moist were like the only bands out there. To my amazement, I find there is MUCH greater music that MOST will likely never hear. Bands like Opeth, Anathema, Porcupine Tree, Katatonia are really terrific bands. Man, I'm sure as hell glad it started off with Opeth. Heard from them in some mag. Then it came to others like even Ulver, Sentenced and Dissection and the likes. So many great bands....

Anyway, good for Opeth that they're actually kinda getting somewhere now. But we all know when things get too popular, it starts to get ridiculous. That's why I kinda hope it doesn't get "there" with Opeth.

I agree...people think stuff is truly great whenever they are fed that and read that stuff. Like comments on the CD...."BEST album....EVER!" - ???......."oh man, yeahhhhhhhh - this album DOES KIKK ASSS." Definitely good point there......

Phew, I stayed away now I felt the need to post up something in great length yet again....

Alcapoth said:
Anyway, good for Opeth that they're actually kinda getting somewhere now. But we all know when things get too popular, it starts to get ridiculous. That's why I kinda hope it doesn't get "there" with Opeth.

are 'in utero', 'ok computer', 'from the choirgirl hotel' ridiculous? :Smug:

Alcapoth said:
I will NEVER see how a person can hate something one day, then all the sudden think it's the greatest piece of work ever! Too drastic, though...I do believe in the fact that music sometimes has to grow on you upon every listen.

well, couldnt u imagine that because loads of ppl support a certain band, you just have a feeling that u dont wanna hear it anymore? just because u dont wanna be in the stream of that? perhaps you'd already like it, but have to overcome that anti-feel? then you might hear it fror the 1st time and be hooked? or in a simpler case, heard it months and months ago just for a bit, and give it a new, proper listening?

someone can grow on music while they dont even realize it.

i could see that.

I really fear disliking stuff just because it's liked by the masses, I'm tragicaly aware that it is the case sometimes though.
Take Coldplay, I really enjoyed "Parachutes", an album which at least in Denmark went pretty much unnoticed. They made it big time with AROBTTH, an album I find immensely boring, except for "Politik".

I guess some would argue that it's because you can't make it big without selling out, adjusting your music to the popular trends. I can only hope that is not the truth, and I dare say bands like R.E.M and Radiohead are proof it is not.

But what a haunting depressing thought: If music iliked by many people it must be shit.
I try not to think so.

Allan said:
I guess some would argue that it's because you can't make it big without selling out, adjusting your music to the popular trends. I can only hope that is not the truth, and I dare say bands like R.E.M and Radiohead are proof it is not.

But what a haunting depressing thought: If music iliked by many people it must be shit.
I try not to think so.

Im sure Radiohead have had to play the game though, before they could do as they please on records. R.E.M. always have the catchy tracks anyway and yer mans voice is nice and accessable. To be that big, bands must be marketable, otherwise they wouldnt be on major labels in the first place. What are popular trends, and how do they become popular trends? Its not just a coincidence that loads of people buy the same record at once like. hehe

Strangelight said:
Im sure Radiohead have had to play the game though, before they could do as they please on records. R.E.M. always have the catchy tracks anyway and yer mans voice is nice and accessable. To be that big, bands must be marketable, otherwise they wouldnt be on major labels in the first place. What are popular trends, and how do they become popular trends? Its not just a coincidence that loads of people buy the same record at once like. hehe

This crash course in the ways of record companies is really taking a toll on my ignorant belief in music.

Allan said:
But what a haunting depressing thought: If music iliked by many people it must be shit. I try not to think so.

you couldnt hope tatu to release 'the wall' tho, there is room for easy catchy popular music, and complex demanding music. that song from coldplay is well good at what its supposed to be, as in being a big radio hit, fair enough. whats morally or even artistically wrong in writing songs like that?

mehdi.i.e.e.e said:
you couldnt hope tatu to release 'the wall' tho, there is room for easy catchy popular music, and complex demanding music. that song from coldplay is well good at what its supposed to be, as in being a big radio hit, fair enough. whats morally or even artistically wrong in writing songs like that?

Nothing, but it bothers me that in order to be a radio hit a song has to be immediately catchy, but immensely boring after just a few listens.

Allan said:
I dare say bands like R.E.M and Radiohead are proof it is not

i think it's amazingly hard not to be pressurised by labels and the masses
when u are that big. perhaps it's theraputically plausible to write 'anti-popular' music, just to piss everyone off. but then again, yer not making music you would've made if u weren't that big.

Allan said:
Nothing, but it bothers me that in order to be a radio hit a song has to be immediately catchy, but immensely boring after just a few listens.

these catchy radio hits get boring cause theyre played too much. i mean, 'smells like teen spirit' is catchy as fuck but its so boring now cause everybody heard it millions of times.

Imagine Nirvana were from Sheffield and they got £3000 to record Nevermind? and, although the demos were catchy, no big labels were interested cos the singer was called Timothy Horrocks and had ginger hair that grew upwards in a square shape and had really crap clothes. hehe! its a funny old game eh?

but then again, nirvana got big thanks to the radios and the people getting into their stuff, not because they were on mtv all day long. well they were on mtv all day long but thats after they got big like.