The Opeth 'Riff thread' has returned...

yea i got the nectar solo down pretty well.. i just need to figure out how to do drums. I forget what you guys use, can anyone steer me in the right direction?

We use Fruity Loops, but I wouldn't recommend all this sheer frustration and anger to any man I didn't despise down to my core... In other words, I just got a program called Tracktion and am gonna see how well that can track drums.

I finally listened to the clips on here lol... moonlapse i really like yours.. just something about orchid i guess. Did you use fruity loops on that? if you did can you give me some basics on how to use it? Thanks.

Ok, got a couple recorded here, btw, I use fruity loops as well, I dont think it's that bad of a program, it is geared a little more towards the techno maker, but I think if you find the right samples, it's not too shabby for some basic beats. Though I really hate how you can only have one tempo/time signature for each drum file. The signatures are fucking annoying too, because there is no way, like Moonlapse mentioned, to get triplets and pauses and all that stuff, so you're either always in triplets, or you're not, it's annoying, but Ive worked around it.

Ok, these are both from the album that got me into Opeth, so see if you recognize them, they're under Opeth riffs:

CLick Me!1!

The second one was sloppy in some parts, but that is one of Opeth's most technical guitar songs in my opinion, so don't kill me for not getting those fucking sweeps perfect. Also, turn down your bass when it gets to the solo, mad clippage going on, sorry.

P.S. The second one is my favorite Opeth solo, but it's also pretty challenging.