The Opeth 'Riff thread' has returned...

Moonlapse said:
Yeah Fruity Loops was used. There's nothing to tell really, I'll link you to a quick tutorial on sequencing and looping patterns... it basically told me everything I use. I hate the program though, mainly because there is no simple way of doing triplets and 'off-notes' like that, because it's for technoheads.

http://www.studiowhiz.com/tutorials/26/
It's not that hard. You just have to know what you're doing and be patient. My clip is fruity loops 3.0 as well. Those kicks are are eighth note triplets.

[QUOTE="Leper_/-\ffinity]Cause mine was so shitty?!? ...or so inspiring lol...[/QUOTE]

I've been wanting to do it for some time, and now I've been beaten! Just you wait...

bump...come on guys, tell us what is wrong with our playing, or criticize something, or maybe record some stuff of your own?!? Id love to hear some keyboard/bass/drum playing too!!!!

Awesome, very good, much better than mine I must say. I tried though. Seems like a few parts you played a bit different, maybe I had a bad tab. How long you been playing?!?

Moonstruck that sounds pretty good, but sounds like you recorded with either alot of reverb or in a large echoing room.. kinda muds up the sound.

I usually like to put a decent amout of reverb on my recordings, especially clean/acoustic parts. I admit that I overdo it sometimes, but I really just play around with effects and stuff in Cool Edit Pro. Playing around is the only way to find the tone(s) you like I guess. The Nectar piece for example has two different reverbs and a real subtle flanger on it. Just experimenting. :)