The Political & Philosophy Thread

Tulsi mentions that actually, but I don't think said changes have come into effect yet based on what she laid out. The specific change she mentions is something to the effect of; super-delegates cannot cast their votes in the first ballot, which is a good start but that seems inconsequential when compared to the idea that they can vote against the majority of their constituencies.

She also says that many people opposing these changes and calls to get rid of super-delegates within the DNC are going with the rationale that super-delegates need to be able to overturn the will of the majority with their votes just in case the majority vote to do something beyond reason or violent. Basically setting themselves up as heroes standing between freedom and mob rule.

Laughable stuff.

"Unpledged delegates exist to make sure that party leaders and elected officials don't have to be in a position where they are running against grass roots activists..."

That sounds super dodgy to me. Especially when you consider that the Republican Party unpledged delegates are obliged to vote for their state's popular vote winner under the rules of the party branch to which they belong, according to Wiki.

https://forum.savingplaces.org/blog...5/lessons-from-psychology-and-health-sciences

Biophilic qualities that trigger an immediate visceral response include structures grouped in ways that people perceive as orderly and pleasing. Architect Christopher Alexander, in collaboration with other colleagues (including the authors of this post), identified the processes that generate “legible” patterns in the human environment, such as boundaries, alternating repetition, strong centers, and levels of scale. Alexander cataloged 15 of these geometric properties, which he called properties of natural “morphology”—a biological term meaning the form and structure of an organism considered as a whole. He then showed that these properties are copiously present in both natural structures and human structures up until the “modern” era. It seems that these characteristics help us feel at home in our environments, enabling us to make cognitive sense of our world—and to perceive it as beautiful—with very important implications for our health and well-being. In the short term, they foster a sense of “belonging to a place” and hence a state of reduced stress; in the long term, they correlate with improvements in overall health, which are now being measured in medical research.

That's an interesting article. I've read about how regularities in biology (heart rate, breathing, anatomical symmetry) map onto an appreciation for aesthetic regularities. I don't think it's too surprising that the things that constitute bodily comfort also constitute some form of visual comfort. We tend to look for patterns, and it's reasonable to assume that our attraction to certain visuals is as biologically conditioned as it is socially.

The authors present an interesting account of our evolutionary relationship to visual aesthetics; but I have to say, they appear to have a very limited knowledge of scholarship on modern art, and to lump all modern art into the category of the "almost century-old theory of visual modernity"--a term that homogenizes art that falls under the banner of "the modern," and reduces differences within the field to insubstantial accidents. For starters, the avant-garde was only one small portion of visual modernity. One of the most famous figures in modern architecture was Le Corbusier, whose buildings exhibited a variety of visual features--some of which feature strong centers and stable boundaries, some of which don't.

The authors don't mention brutalism--a prominent descendent of modernism in architecture--despite the fact that brutalism is all about strong centers (one could argue that brutalism itself constitutes a "strong center") and borders. They also don't mention recent research on the presence of fractal patterns in modern art, from the controversial examination of Jackson Pollock's paintings to the recent book The Fractal Dimension in Architecture. The authors of the latter text argue that fractal complexity in architectural structures reflects the demands of the structure; in other words, if the building needs to accommodate more people, it tends to exhibit more complex architectural patterns. This argument shines light on one factor that the authors of the Preservation Leadership Forum essay don't even consider: functionality.

I find that their argument gets a little murky at this point. For example, look at the photos they use contrasting a purportedly "modern" building with the Piazza di Spagna in Rome. They claim that the modern building betrays its wear and tear more than the older building does--a claim that I think is very true. The problem here is that the modern structure they've chosen is a purely functional structure and exhibits none of the qualities they attribute to visual modernity: namely, attention-grabbing, artistic packaging, and lack of correspondence to larger wholes. I also thought that phrase "Look at me, I'm a modern art object!" was adorably laughable; I know they're trying to be serious, but I don't think they've done all their research when it comes to visual modernity. Or perhaps more accurately, I think they've imposed certain specific qualities from avant-garde visual modernism onto an entire century's worth of architecture, but then haven't bothered to note disparities within architectural history or, for that matter, to be consistent in the kinds of buildings they focus on. In fact, I would argue against these authors that the majority of modern buildings (such as the one they included in a photograph) aren't constructed according to the modern traits they've specified, but according to the demands of functionality and affordability. If modern buildings don't correspond to their surroundings, it's not because of artistic credo but because of structural and environmental demands; but these don't always translate into visual pleasure.

Lastly (for now), I'd ask them why they're so insistent upon homogeneity in an architectural ecosystem. Or, if homogeneity is too harsh, at least complementarity. Urban architecture reflects history as much as it does an artist's ideals or the structural demands of city space. If you visit Copley Square in Boston, and stand in front of the public library, you'll probably be able to see no fewer than seven different styles of architecture, all reflecting different histories. Now, no one really lives in Copley Square, so this probably makes some difference; but it's quite magnificent to stroll through such a small space (relatively speaking) and see so many different architectural styles. If you go one block over to Newbury Street, you'll see far more architectural regularity. To me, this seems like a more democratic differentiation of architectural appearances--not the (as I see it) homogenization of architecture that these authors seem to be championing.

Well there's going to be some murkiness in discussing aesthetic issues, and for such a short length (and I cringed a bit when QM was invoked), but there's a dual point between the "geometric properties" and "complementarity." It's not that globally everything should conform, as there's plenty of room for variation as pre-20th century global architecture....much more variation than what has turned into steel/concrete/glass everything everywhere (although now the shift is into the "AirSpace" aesthetic, at least for interiors). It's just that within a given area things "go together," rhyming how nature tends not to have sharp shifts in the environment at the human level.

I pulled up some photos of Copley square and it has a certain "museum" quality, which while interesting, is too "jarring" to be what these authors would likely consider a healthy livable space, and I'm inclined to agree. You mentioned function and brutalism, for obvious reasons, and I think that the problem is that this conceptualization of "function" is not based on human function. Brutalism was probably left off as it's long been a whipping boy for more traditional architectural aestheticists.

Well there's going to be some murkiness in discussing aesthetic issues, and for such a short length (and I cringed a bit when QM was invoked), but there's a dual point between the "geometric properties" and "complementarity." It's not that globally everything should conform, as there's plenty of room for variation as pre-20th century global architecture....much more variation than what has turned into steel/concrete/glass everything everywhere (although now the shift is into the "AirSpace" aesthetic, at least for interiors). It's just that within a given area things "go together," rhyming how nature tends not to have sharp shifts in the environment at the human level.

I'm wondering whether the variation we see prior to the twentieth century is actually evidence of variation in contemporaneous architectural practice, or merely a reflection of architectural change over time. The steel, concrete, and glass that we see today is a historically limited trend, and there's no reason to assume it won't play itself out, as older traditions have. I'm not sure if the authors think we should return to the tenets of Corinthian architecture, or if architects should incorporate such tenets into modern buildings.

I pulled up some photos of Copley square and it has a certain "museum" quality, which while interesting, is too "jarring" to be what these authors would likely consider a healthy livable space, and I'm inclined to agree. You mentioned function and brutalism, for obvious reasons, and I think that the problem is that this conceptualization of "function" is not based on human function. Brutalism was probably left off as it's long been a whipping boy for more traditional architectural aestheticists.

Copley Square isn't a residential area. I'm inclined to say that the kind of heterogeneity, if not randomness, that these authors are targeting isn't common in most residential areas; or if it is, it's not because of modernism's visual credo or avant-garde aesthetics. They seem to be either a) explaining a real problem by appealing to an unlikely source, or b) imagining a problem that doesn't exist, architecturally speaking. Again, the modern building they contrast with the Piazza di Spagna isn't exemplary of architectural modernism. It's just a bland, functional building (which they don't bother to identify, but treat as exemplary).

I think they're right about the science behind aesthetic appreciation, but I'm not sure they make a compelling case for visual modernism as a driving factor behind the poor psychological/emotional well-being of people living in urban residential areas.

Last edited:
I'm wondering whether the variation we see prior to the twentieth century is actually evidence of variation in contemporaneous architectural practice, or merely a reflection of architectural change over time. The steel, concrete, and glass that we see today is a historically limited trend, and there's no reason to assume it won't play itself out, as older traditions have. I'm not sure if the authors think we should return to the tenets of Corinthian architecture, or if architects should incorporate such tenets into modern buildings.

By variation I meant a larger geographical distance. Buildings built with materials mirroring often the local natural environment (where they came from), or at least general natural products when imported, with artistic flair matching the people and times. E.G., a primarily wooden structure in 1500 in Japan does not look like one in China or especially in Germany. I doubt they have any preference for a specific architecture (e.g., Corinthian).

I think they're right about the science behind aesthetic appreciation, but I'm not sure they make a compelling case for visual modernism as a driving factor behind the poor psychological/emotional well-being of people living in urban residential areas.

I agree, as the lack of greenery is likely the greater issue. But nothing is all/nothing; it would be interesting to see what percentage jarring contemporary architecture contribute to unwellness. Probably directly <2%, indirectly the sky is the limit (of what little may be seen).

Reactions: Einherjar86
By variation I meant a larger geographical distance. Buildings built with materials mirroring often the local natural environment (where they came from), or at least general natural products when imported, with artistic flair matching the people and times. E.G., a primarily wooden structure in 1500 in Japan does not look like one in China or especially in Germany. I doubt they have any preference for a specific architecture (e.g., Corinthian).

I see.

I agree, as the lack of greenery is likely the greater issue. But nothing is all/nothing; it would be interesting to see what percentage jarring contemporary architecture contribute to unwellness. Probably directly <2%, indirectly the sky is the limit (of what little may be seen).

Greenery, noise pollution, air pollution, congestion, etc. There are plenty of reasons to love the city, but I can understand how a lot of people wouldn't enjoy it.

But I still question whether we can connect "jarring contemporary architecture" to what the authors call the "almost century-old theory of visual modernity." Again, they seem to be identifying an avant-garde and largely non-functional visual theory as the concept that underlies most contemporary architecture. A contemporary apartment complex is the last thing in the world that screams "look at me, I'm a modern art object." They seem to want to demonize both modernist aesthetics and the majority of contemporary architecture, but do so by conflating them (or arguing that the former informs the latter). The problem is, they're entirely different things.

I agree with the authors that the visual appearance of many contemporary works of architecture are quite depressing; but they're not the product of modernist visual aesthetics.

I see.
A contemporary apartment complex is the last thing in the world that screams "look at me, I'm a modern art object." They seem to want to demonize both modernist aesthetics and the majority of contemporary architecture, but do so by conflating them (or arguing that the former informs the latter). The problem is, they're entirely different things.

This is probably the most accurate critique and I certainly don't have any way of answering this for them without doing more reading on these authors works. We know that in the case of apartment complexes, local building codes, the economics of materials, and fashionable trends (eg AirSpace) have more sway than any "Starchitect" dreams of the next Guggenheim.

I would be interested in how they could respond to the two issues separately.

These people in this thread write longer paragraphs than I`ve ever read. There must be like way over 500 words in one.

Okay. Democratic primary. LET'S DO THIS.

I finally started following the race this week, having refused to waste time on this bullshit until the election was near. Based on my reading of polls, I narrowed my research to three viable frontrunners:
  • Sanders
  • Biden
  • Bloomberg
Why I prefer Biden at the moment:

While there's nothing I especially like about this generic-ass cookie-cutter Democrat, he strikes me as the "least-bad" of the three. Sanders is obviously a respectable champion of social justice, peace, and checks on executive power, but his economic views are unforgivably stupid. Now, I'd love to see a brilliant analytical mind like Bloomberg as President, and I find his policy ideas refreshingly agreeable overall, but I know that his billionaire status alone could further tear the country apart by stoking the flames of anti-elite anger, not to mention the whole stop-and-frisk fiasco.

Happy to hear thoughts on this comparison from a non-"lol fuck Dems" perspective.

Edit: And yes, I just realized you guys have been discussing this forever in the news thread, and can probably talk circles around me. Throw me a bone.

Last edited:
Foreign perspective so take it with a grain of salt but out of the candidates with any realistic chance of securing the nomination, I regard them all as completely unacceptable except Sanders. In terms of domestic policy, he and arguably Warren represent the only alternatives to third-way democracy. In terms of foreign policy, he and arguably Gabbard are the only truly anti-imperialist candidates. A Biden nomination would be bad and his presidential campaign a repeat of 2016, and a Bloomberg nomination would be a travesty and essentially expose the US as a one-party state.

Reactions: CiG
RE Biden; I could never in good faith vote for someone who strongly argued to allow Bush to invade Iraq. He was the chair of the senate's foreign relations committee and he solely picked the 18 witnesses in the senate hearings, majority of which were pro-war and pro-regime change. He's a neocon piece of shit through and through and his mind is so garbled that he actually forgot he championed that invasion. I have no faith he could withstand pressures to apply neocon foreign policy if he took the office.

If I lived over there I'd be for Tulsi (she has no chance obv) and failing that, I'm for Bernie next. Honestly almost solely because of his anti-neocon positions.

It fundamentally doesn't matter who wins because 75% of federal spending goes to boomerbux anyways, and the proportion only increases with time. Any candidate that refuses to call for roaming death squads to suppress the boomer menace is neglecting their duties to the nation's future. The entire sum of the Bush/Obama/Trump Middle East adventures pales to just end-of-life medical care for useless greying fleshsacks. Only through mass extermination of retirees may we reinvigorate our nation's youth and future.

Reactions: zabu of nΩd
Okay. Democratic primary. LET'S DO THIS.

I finally started following the race this week, having refused to waste time on this bullshit until the election was near. Based on my reading of polls, I narrowed my research to three viable frontrunners:
  • Sanders
  • Biden
  • Bloomberg
Why I prefer Biden at the moment:

While there's nothing I especially like about this generic-ass cookie-cutter Democrat, he strikes me as the "least-bad" of the three. Sanders is obviously a respectable champion of social justice, peace, and checks on executive power, but his economic views are unforgivably stupid. Now, I'd love to see a brilliant analytical mind like Bloomberg as President, and I find his policy ideas refreshingly agreeable overall, but I know that his billionaire status alone could further tear the country apart by stoking the flames of anti-elite anger, not to mention the whole stop-and-frisk fiasco.

Happy to hear thoughts on this comparison from a non-"lol fuck Dems" perspective.

Edit: And yes, I just realized you guys have been discussing this forever in the news thread, and can probably talk circles around me. Throw me a bone.

For me, it's between Sanders and Warren, and I'm leaning toward Warren. I agree that Sanders's economic policies border are impractical, and risk alienating a lot of potential moderates. On the other hand, the anti-billionaire thing could woo others.

I see Warren as the most analytical mind onstage. She's wicked smart, resilient, and her economic plan (while still extreme) carries more water. As far as fiascoes go, the "Pocahontas" thing is way less malicious than stop-and-frisk; and her faux pas accusation against Sanders doesn't discolor her as a candidate, for me.

Reactions: zabu of nΩd