The Pronunciation Thread

I always thought Gorgoroth was more like GOR-gor-OTH, not GOR-GOR-oth. That's how it souded in the movie, although how accurate that is is anyone's guess.

One Inch Man said:
I was mainly referring to the appendices in the trilogy, written by Tolkien himself. :D

Thanks for the link, I frequent The Encyclopedia of Arda, they have a ton of LotR stuff.
haha, those are the exceptions. there are other books out there that are incorrect. just tryin to spread the word
~gR~

Henrik Main said:

Not to argue with a native and all, but uhh... yeah. I obviously don't mean a hard American 'kah' sound. I'm not that stupid. I'm just attempting an approximation of the subtle sounds in a way non-Scandinavians can understand. Just because YOU don't seem to understand your own language beyond your ability to speak it... well anyway, I've heard Varg saying it several times, he makes the 'ech' sound, stop being a prick.

NOW GODDAMMMIT I'M NOT HAVING STUPID FUCKING ARGUMENTS OVER STUPID SHIT WITH ANYONE ANYMORE!!

The Grimace said:
Not to argue with a native and all, but uhh... yeah. I obviously don't mean a hard American 'kah' sound. I'm not that stupid. I'm just attempting an approximation of the subtle sounds in a way non-Scandinavians can understand. Just because YOU don't seem to understand your own language beyond your ability to speak it... well anyway, I've heard Varg saying it several times, he makes the 'ech' sound, stop being a prick.

NOW GODDAMMMIT I'M NOT HAVING STUPID FUCKING ARGUMENTS OVER STUPID SHIT WITH ANYONE ANYMORE!!

Varg's may not be the "real" Norwegian pronunciation though. I'm not clued up on Norwegian regional dialect, but for all I know, learning Norwegian from a Bergen boy might be like learning to speak English from a Geordie.

Lykathea said:
Since the 'dei' part comes from deity, I would assume it's pronounced day-is-side.

For some reason, although "deus" (latin for 'god') is pronounced "day-us," the same can't be said about the English word "deity" (pronounced "dee-ih-tee").

Deicide = Dee-ih-syde.