the Pronunciation thread

Stormwatch said:
Not a band, but

Cthulhu.
The only time I've heard this word pronounced was after beating the most fucking annoying level in Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth(Marsh Refinery)
If memory serves me right, he said it like this:
khtulu(khtoo-loo).

It's much easier to say it in Russian since we have the letter X in our alphabet which is associated with the [kh] sound. Can't think of any English words that contain this sound

PanzerKunt said:
Buhring?
Boring kinda O. As in "from", "Tom" and "come". "Fråm", "Tåm" and "kåm"

That's my point. I do not pronounce boring anywhere near like 'from' or 'tom', and the sound to say 'come' is completely different from both of those.

Ok what i thought was: Åkerfeldt = Uh-ker-feldt

windir...win-dear?
burzum...burts-um?
glittertind...glittert-eend?
Mörk Gryning...mork grinning?
otyg...oh-tig?
vreid...vreed? vryed?
trollheims grott...troll-heems? troll-himes? grott? groat?

Ive always said it like kaymos, so just continuing on with the 2nd A, so Kaamos
Ive also heard pronounced karmos

I was confident with my pronunciation of Children of Bodom and Kalmah until I introduced a friend to them and he said

Children of *bo(the 'o' sound as in home etc)-dum* whereas i would have said *Bo('o' sound as in 'odd')-Dom*

and he said *Kall-mah* whereas I said it the same as the word 'Karma'.

Now im all confused, how do the Fins say these words?

SacredReich said:
That's my point. I do not pronounce boring anywhere near like 'from' or 'tom', and the sound to say 'come' is completely different from both of those.

Ok what i thought was: Åkerfeldt = Uh-ker-feldt

Think if it like a standard american pronounces it.

Perpetual Catatonia said:
I say "Vreed".

It's pronounced "Vreid"

Monkeyspoon said:
and he said *Kall-mah* whereas I said it the same as the word 'Karma'.

Now im all confused, how do the Fins say these words?

If you look at how it's spelled, you see there is no R in Kalmah.

See the difference between Norwegian/Swedish/Finnish etc and English is that we pronounce most of the words as they are written. Which makes sense when you think of it.

PanzerKunt said:
If you look at how it's spelled, you see there is no R in Kalmah.

See the difference between Norwegian/Swedish/Finnish etc and English is that we pronounce most of the words as they are written. Which makes sense when you think of it.

No, English has many many words that are pronounced differently from how they are spelled. Spanish and Italian are the languages in which everything is pretty much pronounced how it is spelled.