The Ron Paul appreciation thread!

The real reason sane people wont vote for Ron Paul is his extreme views about civil rights laws and no regulation. Does he honestly believe that if we were to strip away the civil rights act that some backward ass hick store owner in deep Alabama wouldn't post a white only sign in his/her store window? does he really think if we get rid of regulations that people like Mitt Romney who think profits before safety is most important would keep a safty standard in their workplace? I keep hearing all these libertarians and far right conservatives talking about getting their country and freedoms back. Getting your country back from what? who took it? Getting your freedoms back? what can't you do today that you could do the day before Obama was sworn into office? those ass fucks at the NRA keep talking about their guns rights are in trouble. Obama has not put forth one bill trying to take their guns but yet they keep spouting that crazy shit.....Ted Nugent....really? Freedom of religion? or do they mean freedom of their religion only? because they sure are up in arms about any other practicing their religion. I know not all libertarians talk crazy about paying no taxes....but some of them take it way too far talking about paying no taxes what soever, Really? If your house is on fire, when you call 911 does the 911 operator check to see if you paid taxes before they send a fire crew to come try and save your house? God forbid a conservative gets into a car accident....do the EMS check to see if you have paid taxes or have insurance before they haul you off to the hospital to save your life? If your house gets broken into or someone is threatening your life...I'm sure you would hate to have to give your credit card information to dispatch so the cops could bill you before they came out to help you out. Or even better yet, say some asshole dictator says hey i like your country....i think I want it, you think the military is gonna say "well with the exception of those libertarians that dont pay taxes and can take care of their own...you can't have this country" Yeah spending has to be fixed and better controlled, but this I dont wanna pay taxes cause I can take care of my own attitude is pretty shitty. Obama is right...we are a nation that takes care of each other and should stay that way.

How should we cut the debt and progress afterwards? I want to hear your ideas.

I've said this in the thread; increased taxes and cuts/consolidation to existing agencies. Not eliminating the FDA or EPA, mind you - doing that would be fucking retarded. Stop spending overbudget, eliminate tax loopholes, and increase income taxation. It's really not that complicated.

I'm honestly incredibly surprised at how much trust you place in fiat! I'm also surprised that you don't attribute any monetary qualities at all to gold or silver—central banks still hold it in mass tonnage, and in many countries gold and silver are still culturally and functionally regarded as being money. If someone wants to store their wealth in precious metals for a season, why should the precious metal holder be penalized via taxation for holding an asset that didn't actually change at all? It's a hunk of metal with no liabilities attached whatsoever. Why don't we slap capital gains taxes on houses? What about rare sports cards, cars, or old guitars? Sure, you can chalk up the short term price fluctuations in precious metal prices to supply and demand (and sometimes surreptitious market intervention via agents acting on behalf of central banks, which there is mounting evidence of), but over the longer term, they "gain" value as the real value of fiat money is diluted. They are not the same as stocks, nor do they even resemble stocks, at all. When the Fed announces that they're targeting a 2% inflation rate per year (using cooked statistics, as I've explained before, meaning it's actually more like 8-10% annually), yet continue to hold down interest rates for dollar-savers beneath 0.25%, where is someone supposed to "hide" from that inflation?

The gold standard is antiquated and useless at this point. It's in the national interest to keep one single currency on top. I'm not at all justifying the Fed's moves, I'm just saying it's a commodity.

Are you actually a full-blown Keynesian now? Bailouts, government stimulus spending and the like, all considered to be good and necessary things? You must have had a great econ professor :lol:

I have to call you out on this one. This is the second time where you have directly suggested that my policy views have somehow been shaped by my education. You're legitimately pulling the same sensationalist, pandering GOP tactics you've criticized in the past. Do you really believe that universities are some kind of liberal conversion camps? I go to what is probably the most conservative public school on the West Coast. Anne fucking Coulter spoke on campus in February.

Why do my ideas on economics have to be based on a class I took or a professor I had? Why couldn't they come from life experience and my own research? I find the whole thing to be pretty insulting, if I'm honest - I'm pretty damn proud of how hard I've worked and what I've achieved to get into the school I did and to be as far as I am. You belittling that by insinuating that I've somehow been brainwashed or indoctrinated into policy opinions is as dick headed as it is ironic coming from you.

I haven't looked into Gitmo lately, but that wasn't what I was even talking about, I was referring to The National Defense Authorization Act (S 1867) which denies terror suspects (including US citizens) the right to trial, and permits authorities to detain them indefinitely. I'm not concerned about the government abusing this power in the very short run, but the longer term implications are quite frightening. All the government has to do to hold you forever and deny you a trial is claim that you are a terrorist, and they can presumably define "terrorist" to mean anything they want—does this bother you? My original point was that Ron Paul is the only candidate who cares and speaks up about this.

Because they couldn't do that before NDAA? And do you really think they can actually define terrorist in any way they want? You can call me too trusting; I think you're overly paranoid.

Perhaps self-attributed intelligence wasn't fair for me to say, but surely you have to believe you have better economic insights in order to say that Ron's ideas are stupid. If not, then on what basis would you be calling his ideas stupid?

I have different ideals and wants than RP, and that will be reflected in my preferred economic policies. I've already explained a few times what I don't like about libertarian-style economic policy.

Sure, I'll do the same for Obama, but I do literally believe that the US dollar is nearly doomed, if not already past the point of no return, so if you consider that an unreasonable doomsday scenario, then I would have to be dishonest with you when describing our not-so-distant future under, or at least in consequence of Obama's control. I strongly sense that your refusal to paint for me an RP Presidency is simply because you don't want to say something that could make you look stupid.

It's more that I just don't really at all care to entertain ideas that will never come to life. I know you're trying to get me into a corner on this one, but at the end of the day he's not getting the nomination and he'll never be president. I happen to think, in addition to this, his ideas are stupid and ideals are misguided, naive, and hypocritical, but that doesn't change anything.

Haha! To be honest I don't even know what I've skipped, and I don't care to reread the whole thread. If someone wants to tell me what I've skipped, or if they've got a burning question that I've been evading, I'll answer the questions for no other reason than for you to stop accusing me of cherry-picking my responses, or whatever I've apparently been doing.

So because you actually did cherry-pick responses (and admitted to it) and are too lazy to address the accusations on your own the rest of us should do work so you can correct your mistake? That sounds totally fair and reasonable.

This, to me, is probably the worst attitude someone can have…that no matter who the President is, that no meaningful change can occur, the system is too far beyond fixing, and in the mean time let's all just argue about who has the worst ideas in theory, and vote for one of two establishment-blessed candidates!

Honestly, you may be right that no change will occur right now, because right now Americans are still sitting pretty for the most part…stocked grocery stores, lots of cool/cheap technology around, disposable income, etc. I suppose as long as our economy holds together in some resemblance of what we enjoy today, then the majority of Americans will continue to choose their politicians by listening to their TV sets, the content of which is heavily influenced by the establishment. However, the establishment is not going to address our debt, and our debt will ultimately be our undoing. In my mind it's either, make tough decisions quickly to being winding down our debt (or at the very least, ceasing to accrue more debt), or we face a full-on currency collapse a little further down the road. We'll find out who's right soon enough, but my money (literally) is betting on the currency collapse.

Two issues: one, I never said that no meaningful change could occur or that the system is beyond fixing. I've addressed specifics aspects of our system that need to be addressed for political progress when I explained why RP wasn't electable and not just because of the media.

Two, voters (or more importantly, the lack of an engaged voting populace) are just as to blame as the system, if not more so. We have stupid, uneducated people voting in tiny numbers. The 2008 election gave some light to the end of the proverbial tunnel, but the 2010 congressional election shit all over it.

I also really don't think our debt will be our undoing, but don't spin that to say I'm not concerned about it. You've been speaking of this currency collapse as being "a little further down the road" for a few years now; when's it supposed to happen?

I know not all libertarians talk crazy about paying no taxes

yea they do

not paying taxes is pretty much the basis of the libertarian party

of course, they then have the great idea of replacing taxation with "usage fees"...which means we end up paying for shit all the same

i wouldn't go so far as to say that the "american dream" doesn't exist anymore, but it's kind of tigers in the wild - hard to find, and disappearing fast

Stop spending overbudget, eliminate tax loopholes, and increase income taxation. It's really not that complicated.

What's somewhat 'entertaining' is how you seem to think there are -or will realistically be- many honest politicians with the actual track record, the integrity and characteristics of Ron Paul pouring out of Washington to do any of that (except raising taxes.. yeah, you can count on that one).

Why do people keep dismissing and mocking RP as if there would be so many more (and even better) choices for the US, now or in the near future?

Where are those politicians? I'd like you to point them out.

FWIW, I don't have an American citizenship partly out of choice (meaning I could have had it if I wanted it) and yes, I've been to the US plenty of times ;)

I also really don't think our debt will be our undoing, but don't spin that to say I'm not concerned about it. You've been speaking of this currency collapse as being "a little further down the road" for a few years now; when's it supposed to happen?

Last edited by a moderator:
What's somewhat 'entertaining' is how you seem to think there are -or will realistically be- many honest politicians with the actual track record, the integrity and characteristics of Ron Paul pouring out of Washington to do any of that (except raising taxes.. yeah, you can count on that one).

Why do people keep dismissing and mocking RP as if there would be so many more (and even better) choices for the US, now or in the near future?

FWIW, I don't have an American citizenship partly out of choice (meaning I could have had it if I wanted it) and yes, I've been to the US plenty of times ;)

When did I ever say that there would be? I've literally never said this. I don't have to point anyone out - again; I don't have to have alternative solutions to think yours is a dumb one. That's not how logic works. For the record, I never said you haven't been to the US.

Cool conspiracy theory video.

I'm not as intolerant of religion as of religious intolerance.. whatever name you like to call it.

From what I get out of this you're suggesting that we're intolerant of religion? How does that work? I fully respect a person's right to believe whatever they want, but that does not at all mean I have to respect their beliefs. You talk as if religion deserves tolerance at all.

That just it, AD, what you say about Ron Paul is your opinion and yours alone, others may not feel that way about him. i sure as hell don't.
because there are many better choices out there than Ron Paul in most peoples opinion

Barack Obama. but that's my opinion

When did I ever say that there would be? I've literally never said this. I don't have to point anyone out - again; I don't have to have alternative solutions to think yours is a dumb one. That's not how logic works. For the record, I never said you haven't been to the US.

Cool conspiracy theory video.

You imply it by saying 'it's really not that complicated'.
Again, when you put together ideas like 'stop spending over budget' and 'increase income taxation' on the same sentence, it seems to me like it would be you who may not have it clear how American politics currently work. To allow those politicians to have more money in their hands, and then not overspend it -a fancy word for stealing.. that to me is what would be highly unrealistic.

You accused TheWinterSnow of not being productive, yet you don't get past trashing on all the presidential candidates.

I don't want to get into arguments about religion but for the record I already clearly stated I don't approve of religion either. Religious intolerance however comes not only from religious people, mind you.
My comment there wasn't directed at you, anyway.

As for dismissing hyperinflation, an artificially sustained economy, and the rampant corruption ongoing in Washington -and it's plausible outcome- as 'conspiracy'.. I don't know what to say to that.
Maybe that ''no one'' thought there would be a bursting housing bubble, either, until it actually happened.

Time will tell.

You imply it by saying 'it's really not that complicated'.
Again, when you put together ideas like 'stop spending over budget' and 'increase income taxation' on the same sentence, it seems to me like it would be you who may not have it clear how American politics currently work. To allow those politicians to have more money in their hands, and then not overspend it -a fancy word for stealing.. that to me is what would be highly unrealistic.

You accused TheWinterSnow of not being productive, yet you don't get past trashing on all the presidential candidates.

I don't want to get into arguments about religion but for the record I already clearly stated I don't approve of religion either. Religious intolerance however comes not only from religious people, mind you.
My comment there wasn't directed at you, anyway.

As for dismissing hyperinflation, an artificially sustained economy, and the rampant corruption ongoing in Washington -and it's plausible outcome- as 'conspiracy'.. I don't know what to say to that.
Maybe that ''no one'' thought there would be a bursting housing bubble, either, until it actually happened.

Time will tell.

"It's really not that complicated" was in reference to reducing the deficit and how we should go from there; it has zero implications for what politicians are likely to do.

I never said that my methods were politically viable - I was asked how I would go about reducing the deficit, and I answered the question. You're the one putting words in my mouth by extending that to meaning that it would work politically. For the record, you still are grossly misinformed on how our political system works based on your posts, without reading too far into them like you have with mine.

I had to go back and read about the thing on TheWinterSnow - again, you suck at English and/or reading in general. I was specifically talking about how he wasn't arguing effectively and was just being a "condescending dick" instead of actually discussing policy matters. How in the FUCK have I not gotten past trashing presidential candidates? I've been asked and have offered my specific positions on policies. If anyone can't get past anything, it's you not getting past swinging on RP's pendulous nutsack.

Religious intolerance is almost only found in religious people, just as Mr. Marsh pointed out. It's inherent in the concept. Again, I don't have to respect anything but a person's right to believe whatever you want; I don't have to give one ounce of respect to his/her actual beliefs. Your comment was relevant to the discussion.

I never said "no one" thought there'd be a housing bubble; this is a very different issue on a MUCH larger scale, though.

If your methods are not politically viable in real life, I really don't see the point of such a lengthy discussion on your part.

Both the housing and the dollar bubble are part of the same string of ongoing events. It's your country being sold out to the highest bidder. Whether you (as a people, as a Country) see it or don't, or choose to ignore it.

Let's hope I'm wrong though, because the falling of the dollar would affect most of us negatively.

Because he could still win, that's why. Ron Paul is currently in the race for the nomination. He has supporters. He's picking delegates. The guy is honest and he's proposing real change. Yeah sure, it has been said many times already it's very difficult for him to get the nomination. And then to become president. And then to kick some asses in Washington and fight corruption. It's all difficult, but everything worth a damn in life always is.

That's not the same as you basically complaining, but without any real-world solution in mind- whether some of his ideas may work and some wouldn't; Ron Paul has a plan, you don't seem to think of one-- at least not from what you've said so far.

You still insist is not complicated to reduce the deficit. But you can't tell us how. And how you think it could be done without politicians involved, is really beyond me. That's what I meant when you call on others for not being productive, whilst at the same time being very negative and confrontational on the subject yourself.

I know you understand these things, and if you 'win' the argument and he doesn't get the nomination out of fraud or whatever the hell else, well then, congrats I guess.. the US will likely be in a worse situation 4 years from now. Or you really think it wont, with Romney or Obama?