The SINGLE best Opeth solo?

That last solo in A Fair Judgment is definitely teh pwnage. So emotional!
Quite strange that Peter wrote it, cause I had imagined something so brilliant to have been written by Mikael.

Moonlapse said:
I'm not usually one to start these threads, but I was listening to The Grand Conjuration solo just before and realized it is probably my favourite Mike solo ever. There's a certain interplay between it and the backing, plus the way it interlocks with the riff progression is just magical... it's really tasteful soloing taken to a new level, IMO.

How about you all? Remember. Only ONE solo.

hmm it is a good solo but I reckon it gets buried a bit at times, it should be forward a bit more in the mix...

As for my favourite I would have to go with The white Cluster solo!

Benighted1 said:
hmm it is a good solo but I reckon it gets buried a bit at times, it should be forward a bit more in the mix...

As for my favourite I would have to go with The white Cluster solo!

I think that's the great thing about it. It's part of the song, not above it. It furthers the emotive impact of the riffs, and it isn't just self-indulgent. Okay, maybe it is a bit... but shit it's Mike, whenever he solos it's like he turns on the 'Latimer' switch and shit starts becoming orgasmic.

Moonlapse said:
I think that's the great thing about it. It's part of the song, not above it. It furthers the emotive impact of the riffs, and it isn't just self-indulgent. Okay, maybe it is a bit... but shit it's Mike, whenever he solos it's like he turns on the 'Latimer' switch and shit starts becoming orgasmic.

I know what you mean but I still think it needs to be just a bit more forward in the mix. Not so it dominates the song or anything, just so its easier to hear the more sutle parts of the solo...

The TGC solo is awesome !

That song contains two great moments of Opethian bliss. 1st the solo. Then that super heavy part from 5:50 to 6:10, but back to the solo.

TGC is currently my favorite & definitely damn hard to play...for me anyways

White Cluster, the solo that starts after the big growl in the middle of the song (about 6 minutes into it) Not as emotional as some of the other Opeth solos, but so much power and energy in it, i fuckin love it!

I'de have to say my favorite is definetley Mike's solo on Leper Affinity. But I'm also pretty fond of the solos in Harvest and (for unexplainable reasons) the solos in both In My Time of Need and To Rid the Disease.