The Star Wars Thread

Also, Rey is a massive Mary Sue, no matter whose reincarnation she is. Also the plot is just A New Hope rehashed. Also the plot is just insane coincidence after insane coincidence after insane coincidence. And coincidence is the lazy writer's tool. The Empire = Nazis bullshit is hamfisted and stale, and the Empire's "build a giant murderball with a big glaring weakness" strategy stopped being a good plot element a long time ago.

Last edited:
eh, somewhat agree on parts but the mary sue argument about it has always been stupid. that and the whole "rehashed" thing is intended. Doing an entirely different story would mean an entirely different, and non-Star Wars movie. The theme has always been that history has repeated itself, even in the original 3 movies. The nazi thing is entertaining as fuck though

weakness part is dumb though

Also, Rey is a massive Mary Sue, no matter whose reincarnation she is. Also the plot is just A New Hope rehashed. Also the plot is just insane coincidence after insane coincidence after insane coincidence. And coincidence is the lazy writer's tool. The Empire = Nazis bullshit is hamfisted and stale, and the Empire's "build a giant murderball with a big glaring weakness" strategy stopped being a good plot element a long time ago.

It's true. All of it.

Reactions: CiG
the mary sue argument about it has always been stupid.
Why? Rey can literally do everything with no training or practice whatsoever. She flies ships she's never even seen before, operates systems on a base she's never seen before, and of course all but defeats a Sith Knight in a duel. She has no flaws whatsoever, is good at everything and loved by everyone. Even her "token flaw" (being poor even though it has no consequence whatsoever) is pure Mary Sue material.

Rey is a bullshit character written purely out of that nauseating "women can't be flawed because every female character has to be representative of all women everywhere" pandering principle. I don't care whose reincarnation she is, because "she is the reincarnation of X" is just a stupid handwaving "a wizard did it" justification.

Flawless characters are fucking boring, and the entire film was the same. Never any real tension whatsoever because it was clear the heroes were protected by Screenwriter Armour the entire way through.

Reactions: CiG
eh, somewhat agree on parts but the mary sue argument about it has always been stupid. that and the whole "rehashed" thing is intended.

What makes you think that they set out to retell the exact same story? It wouldn't be a "Star Wars" movie without doing so, what? It's more like they retold the same story because they didn't want to take any risks and piss everyone off at the same time, so they played it as safe as they could. Not sure it has anything to do with intention at all.

Remember, it's supposed to be Episode 7, not Episode 4: Redux. It's also not Battlestar Galactica where everything has happened before, and will happen again. Anyway, I already posted about how it didn't do much for me the first time I watched it. Might have been expectations (of something new), but I did enjoy it more the second time. Not sure when I'll ever watch it again though, because I'm not sure it's going to have a similar lasting appeal as the original trilogy.

It would be hilarious though if we find out she's just Luke's father.

Last edited:
Is it wrong that I'm actually more excited for this than I was for The Force Awakens?

I also find the question that the director poses to be wryly amusing.

Why? Rey can literally do everything with no training or practice whatsoever. She flies ships she's never even seen before, operates systems on a base she's never seen before, and of course all but defeats a Sith Knight in a duel. She has no flaws whatsoever, is good at everything and loved by everyone. Even her "token flaw" (being poor even though it has no consequence whatsoever) is pure Mary Sue material.

Rey is a bullshit character written purely out of that nauseating "women can't be flawed because every female character has to be representative of all women everywhere" pandering principle. I don't care whose reincarnation she is, because "she is the reincarnation of X" is just a stupid handwaving "a wizard did it" justification.

Flawless characters are fucking boring, and the entire film was the same. Never any real tension whatsoever because it was clear the heroes were protected by Screenwriter Armour the entire way through.

It's a sad trend in character development, they could learn a lot from studying Ripley.

Whelp, just about none of the scenes that sealed me on wanting to see it from the initial trailer was even in the fucking movie. Apparently the emergency reshoots and edits they did earlier this year essentially removed many of the best scenes. You could also skip the entire first hour of this film and not miss out on any relevant information at all aside from one little tidbit about "the design flaw". The last forty minutes was about the only thing good in the film, and the most memorable character was a robot. As much of a rehash as The Force Awakens was, it at least felt like Star Wars. As much of a "Mary Sue" Rey was, at least Daisy Ridley was very charismatic and did an excellent job portraying Luke Skywalker mk II.

Fuck.