The Star Wars Thread

Heh, on the 28th I was going to go see it again out of town with some family and one of my best friends (with some of his family that he hasn't seen in a while). We're going to go see it on one of the IMAX knockoffs called Cinemark Xtreme. Also going to see it in 3D, which normally I wouldn't want to do. However, at the theater we are going to, I already saw Battle of the Five Armies on the Xtreme screen and it looked absolutely fantastic, and it didn't dim the picture or kill the colors like your typical digital 3D projector.

Can hardly wait for Episode 8

Not sure if you've already seen this yet. It doesn't actually say too much, but I'm just here to help your wait become that much more unbearable. :lol:

http://www.slashfilm.com/lawrence-kasdan-star-wars-episode-8/

I really hope that Snoke turns out to be Darth Plagueis

That would be nice. That way, they can ditch his ridiculous name and simply start calling him "Emperor" or say "Yes (my) master".

Last edited:
I really hope that Snoke turns out to be Darth Plagueis

HOLY SHIT THAT WOULD BE FUCKING AMAZING.

I've been so stoked with SW lately that I resubbed my SWTOR account, and to be honest I'm enjoying the hell out of it. They've really turned this game around with the epic story XP boost for all players. No more grinding. If anything it's too much XP.

Saw this again on Monday. Not sure why, but I actually enjoyed it more the second time around. Might have just been because I already knew what to expect, so I didn't have any need to pick apart the movie for not being something else. It helped too that the theater I saw it on the second time was damn amazing too.

Also, I didn't find Carrie Fisher's acting to be as horrible as I had remembered it the first time. Actually though, I'm not sure she was really acting all that different from the other movies, and that it had more to do with the "grandma voice" she had going on, coupled with the fact that she actually had a lot more exposition all at once compared to the previous films where she basically only said one or two (at most) sentence quips, usually back and forth with Han.

I still like the original three the most, but I'd say this isn't too far behind Return of the Jedi (non special edition of course).

All I want to know is:

Why the fuck was Han so amazed with Chewbacca's bowcaster? It's like he had not been paying attention for the 30 plus years that they had been together. To me it was just Abrams trying to "be funny", but it didn't work unless you act as if this is a stand alone movie that has no connection to the previous films.

How did Maz recover Luke's lightsaber from Cloud City? I guess it could have fallen down a chute that ended up depositing it in some safe, stationary spot, but I had always kind of just assumed it would have been jettisoned to the planet below.

Last edited:
As for your second spoiler, I was wondering that the other day when I watched Jedi. Your first spoiler was puzzling to me as well, so you're not alone.

As far as the acting goes, I watched the original trilogy again for the millionth time and I have to say that we really look at that trilogy through rose-colored lenses sometimes. Yes, it's the best but it's far from perfect...especially the acting. I know everyone was young and relatively inexperienced, but after seeing everything, I think we need to cut the prequels' acting a break.

I also noticed for the first time that not everyone in the Empire speaks with received pronunciation (Queen's English) and that many rebel alliance members speak with English accents. I don't know where everyone got the "The Imperials are the English because we're Americans and we always see them as the bad guys in movies". I've actually heard the English complain about it as if it were some conspiracy theory, completely oblivious to the fact that villains to Americans are often loved more than the protagonist or hero.

Lol, the accents bothered me too. Although it wasn't so much the accents (although I guess that was more the cause) as it was the inconsistencies with specific pronunciations, namely Leia and Alderaan.

Also, cutting a break towards the acting of the prequels? Uh, no? There were really only two terrible actors anyway. The rest of the stilted and wooden acting had way less to do with the actors themselves and the bad dialogue Lucas gave them, as well as his inability to actually work well with actors in the first place. On top of that, the majority (*if not all) of the movies were in front of a green screen, and that couldn't have been easy for those who were the only human in the scene, because they had nothing to play off of.

Funny thing is, Star Wars still had better acting, even with actors that were not well known or that good to begin with (besides Alec Guinness and to a lesser extent Harrison Ford). Seems like Lucas actually became worse with his long break from directing. Who knows how the other two movies in the OT would have turned out if he had directed them, but he didn't.

Most people dislike the prequels because:

1. They are terrible

2. But seriously, The Phantom Menace was chock full of kiddy shit that Lucas thought everyone would gush over since he claims the original trilogy was for kids too. Jar Jar is what most loathed about that movie, but the child actor for young Anakin seemed like someone they picked up off of a failed cereal commercial reading. He looked okay, but was just not a good child actor. That movie could be renamed as: Taxes and Disney Kid Accidentally Saves the Day. Or hell, just How Midichlorians Killed Star Wars.

3. Attack of the Clones was almost as bad, but for different reasons. The opening scene was actually pretty good, but then the movie was nothing but lines of bad dialogue, or the screen was so full of shit that it became a chaotic mess, overblown and actually the opposite of exciting.

4. Revenge of the Sith is considered "the best" of the prequels (and it is), but that still doesn't make it a good movie. It had less of the problems of the first two, but they were still there. Plus, some of the key scenes were terribly rushed. That ending "Noooooooo" too was dumb as shit, and Lucas decided that it was so good that he should ruin the ending of Return of the Jedi with it too.

So I guess Youtube now magically can't be embedded here or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sKRRY5tQz8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nJS-LPcFfw

Last edited:
I just meant the actors' delivery. Everyone knows that the prequels were inferior to the originals, although I still enjoy them for what they are, just as I enjoy the Clone Wars cartoons.

The "Noooooooo" was lame, true.

Kid Anakin wasn't that bad. There aren't very many amazing child actors, if any. The last time I was moved by a child's performance was Dakota Fanning in I Am Sam, or at least I think that was her.

Big Anakin was pretty wooden, but he wasn't terrible or anything. The writing could have been much better, but that's not his fault.

You know what though? We need to get off the whole acting thing already...it's been going on for too long. Nobody watches Star Wars for the acting because if we're really honest with each other, it's all horrible...save for Vader, Palpatine, and Alec Guinness Obi-Wan. Nearly everyone in the first three films were wooden with the exception of the aforementioned and maybe C3PO and Han. If we're going to be honest here, then the Imperial English officers like Tarkan were better actors than anyone else in any of the films. No one in Star Wars would win an Oscar for best actor. Star Wars acting cannot stand up to the likes of Schindler's List or A Few Good Men. Well, The Force Awakens could, but not the originals. The reason we love them is the writing, not necessarily the acting.

I just think we need to stop the collective circle jerk over how terrible the prequels are because they're simply not THAT terrible, save for Jar Jar Binks. The story of The Phantom Menace was far and away worse than the acting, but the entire prequel trilogy doesn't deserve to be shat on like it is just because SW fans love to do it. That amount of hatred and bile is frankly pathetic over something so benign as a film that didn't go the way the fans wanted it to...and this is why:

THEY WERE PREQUELS. There was no mystery, there was no conspiracy theorizing, there was no speculation because everyone knew where it would all lead. The only difference is how they would get there. I'm not saying they didn't have places where we all collectively thought, "WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!", but neither do they deserve the hatred they get.

Hatred for the prequels can be broken down and explained in one succinct sentence: "I hate the prequels because they didn't follow exactly what I had imagined in my head since I was a kid."

You know what though? We need to get off the whole acting thing already...it's been going on for too long. Nobody watches Star Wars for the acting because if we're really honest with each other, it's all horrible...save for Vader, Palpatine, and Alec Guinness Obi-Wan. Nearly everyone in the first three films were wooden with the exception of the aforementioned and maybe C3PO and Han. If we're going to be honest here, then the Imperial English officers like Tarkan were better actors than anyone else in any of the films. No one in Star Wars would win an Oscar for best actor. Star Wars acting cannot stand up to the likes of Schindler's List or A Few Good Men. Well, The Force Awakens could, but not the originals. The reason we love them is the writing, not necessarily the acting.

Aside from those you listed, I also wouldn't say Carrie Fisher was horrible either (though definitely not great). Maybe Han and Leia simply had the best dialogue, but their scenes together were pretty much the most memorable across all three films until it was Vader with Luke. Mark Hamill wasn't "good", but I'm not sure you could actually call him "horrible". If you want to be honest, he came off like someone inexperienced, but he did progress over the films, and even if no one gave an oscar worthy performance, pretty much all of the main characters were better than everyone in the prequels other than Ewan McGregor and to a lessor extent Ian McDiarmid. It's not nostalgia or super fan bias or some shit either. Their performances were not stellar in the OT, but on average, the delivery was simply much better overall. Could have been many more factors besides dialogue (because he had co-authors, or people that actually wrote the majority of the screenplay for him) and a lack of green screens, but it doesn't really matter what the cause was.

I just think we need to stop the collective circle jerk over how terrible the prequels are because they're simply not THAT terrible, save for Jar Jar Binks. The story of The Phantom Menace was far and away worse than the acting, but the entire prequel trilogy doesn't deserve to be shat on like it is just because SW fans love to do it. That amount of hatred and bile is frankly pathetic over something so benign as a film that didn't go the way the fans wanted it to...and this is why:

THEY WERE PREQUELS. There was no mystery, there was no conspiracy theorizing, there was no speculation because everyone knew where it would all lead. The only difference is how they would get there. I'm not saying they didn't have places where we all collectively thought, "WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!", but neither do they deserve the hatred they get.

Hatred for the prequels can be broken down and explained in one succinct sentence: "I hate the prequels because they didn't follow exactly what I had imagined in my head since I was a kid."

You can have your own theory as to why the masses love to "circle jerk" on the prequels, but like I've said before, you can't just generalize and claim to know the reasons behind why anyone thinks something. None of what you said above much applies to me, or the friends who I actually went to the theater with to see them, nor my relatives that cared much about the franchise. Or rather, those reasons that are actually applicable, hold only the smallest relevance compared to much larger criticisms.

It might apply to some people, but it probably applies to a lot less than you might think. Many people might have had a vague imagining about how they expected the films to be, but with or without expectations, they simply were not good movies. That's totally disregarding them being Star Wars movies too. They all suffer the same thing the majority of expensive, super spectacle films have since the late 90s: too much focus on effects at the cost of everything else. Besides, if you've followed the hindsight discussions or documentaries with Lucas, when he decided to even make the prequels, he had absolutely nothing written and had no idea where he wanted to go with them, so he pretty much winged it as he went along. During the filming process, he had total control and was surrounded by yes men, instead of those that could have greatly helped to make the movies better.

I do somewhat agree that the lack of mystery might have made the movies seem worse than they were, but I don't entirely agree. I think Lucas killing off some of the mystery that made the OT so special hurt a lot, and I also think that there was a hell of a lot of interesting branches he could have taken with the prequels that no one really thought about, regarding things only hinted at in the OT. What did he do though? Write about the most boring shit ever, and the scenes that had the most relevance to the OT (such as the fall of Anakin) were horribly rushed and horribly edited. "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough, and irritating it gets everywhere, kind of like my dialogue. Time to kill some kids!".

Last edited:
Ok, this isn't a spoiler. I just heard about the theory that Rey is the female reincarnation of Anakin hence the flashback sequence and it kind of makes sense if you know what happens at the end

Aside from those you listed, I also wouldn't say Carrie Fisher was horrible either (though definitely not great). Maybe Han and Leia simply had the best dialogue, but their scenes together were pretty much the most memorable across all three films until it was Vader with Luke. Mark Hamill wasn't "good", but I'm not sure you could actually call him "horrible". If you want to be honest, he came off like someone inexperienced, but he did progress over the films, and even if no one gave an oscar worthy performance, pretty much all of the main characters were better than everyone in the prequels other than Ewan McGregor and to a lessor extent Ian McDiarmid. It's not nostalgia or super fan bias or some shit either. Their performances were not stellar in the OT, but on average, the delivery was simply much better overall. Could have been many more factors besides dialogue (because he had co-authors, or people that actually wrote the majority of the screenplay for him) and a lack of green screens, but it doesn't really matter what the cause was.

You can have your own theory as to why the masses love to "circle jerk" on the prequels, but like I've said before, you can't just generalize and claim to know the reasons behind why anyone thinks something. None of what you said above much applies to me, or the friends who I actually went to the theater with to see them, nor my relatives that cared much about the franchise. Or rather, those reasons that are actually applicable, hold only the smallest relevance compared to much larger criticisms.

It might apply to some people, but it probably applies to a lot less than you might think. Many people might have had a vague imagining about how they expected the films to be, but with or without expectations, they simply were not good movies. That's totally disregarding them being Star Wars movies too. They all suffer the same thing the majority of expensive, super spectacle films have since the late 90s: too much focus on effects at the cost of everything else. Besides, if you've followed the hindsight discussions or documentaries with Lucas, when he decided to even make the prequels, he had absolutely nothing written and had no idea where he wanted to go with them, so he pretty much winged it as he went along. During the filming process, he had total control and was surrounded by yes men, instead of those that could have greatly helped to make the movies better.

I do somewhat agree that the lack of mystery might have made the movies seem worse than they were, but I don't entirely agree. I think Lucas killing off some of the mystery that made the OT so special hurt a lot, and I also think that there was a hell of a lot of interesting branches he could have taken with the prequels that no one really thought about, regarding things only hinted at in the OT. What did he do though? Write about the most boring shit ever, and the scenes that had the most relevance to the OT (such as the fall of Anakin) were horribly rushed and horribly edited. "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough, and irritating it gets everywhere, kind of like my dialogue. Time to kill some kids!".

The performances were pretty bad for what the franchise ended up becoming, which is the biggest film franchise and possibly film in history. Granted, they had no idea it would have exploded like it did, but I'm drawing a parallel between the amount of fanaticism attached to these films and the actual quality of the acting. Bottom line, Star Wars isn't Star Wars because they were the greatest actors in the world. That was the point I was trying to make, and that fans tend to gloss over that fact due to their own fanaticism towards the franchise. I'm one of them, I'm just a bit more objective because I enjoy the entire Star Wars universe, warts and all. Many people simply can't handle the warts.

The lack of mystery was a serious factor in the tepid reception of the prequels, and I don't think that can be overstated. However, it wasn't the primary factor. The primary factor was, like you said, George Lucas was surrounded by yes men and everything had to be his way or the highway, and he lost objectivity which exacerbated the less-than-stellar writing. That said, I also think that the prequels came out in the worst time for film technology. CGI just wasn't where it is today, and they couldn't have the models again because it would look ridiculous. I believe the late 90s/early 00s were a transitional period in film and computer technology, and that hurt the films A LOT. However, while it wasn't the only option, for what they were trying to create, it was their best option. Sadly, the technology just hadn't caught up to what we wanted. I personally believe that the prequels would have been better had they been animated completely with computer animation. I'm not a fan of Anime, but look at the awesomeness of Space Pirate Captain Harlock. However, it still boils down to bad writing, bad delivery, and just bad decision-making.

Poop
"If Han knew Maz, does that mean that Lando also knows her. Maybe Lando went back to Cloud City to run that shit like a boss. Could be a pretty cool story of how he got the light saber."]

we finally went to see it last night. I have fought the urge to come into this thread prior to that. I didn't want anything spoiled. We waited, so I could get my 8 year old son up to date on the entire story. He has played Lego Star Wars for a few years, so he has a grasp, but the movies helped more.

The new movie is really good. It had lots of twists and turns, and really makes you think of the potential story to continue. Is Rey Luke's daughter? or someone elses? If she was, why didn't she say "father" when she came up on them. I like the thought of seeing the original 3 through rose colored glasses, cause that is how I feel about it. When many of us saw the original(I was 7), we were kids, you see things very differently as a kid. As we watched Ep. 4, 5, and 6 with my son, I saw the flaws, and nuances that made those movies great. Sure looks different when you are 45. Now, I have to go look at all the theories out there for the new one. The next one should be good.