The Star Wars Thread

Just got back from seeing it. It's pretty good, but keep your expectations in check though. I had more to say, non spoilery, but I'll wait until after everyone has already seen it.

Last edited:
It felt way too safe to me, and seemed more like a large recap of the events of A New Hope with a bit of The Empire Strikes Back to get people new to the series kind of caught up on the general mythology, with a small preface to an actual story (which would be the next two movies). I also felt like Harrison Ford did a really good job recapturing Han, yet Carrie Fisher seemed totally disinterested as if she didn't even want to be in the movie. Other than a few twists here and there, I kept waiting for something new, or something to expand the universe in ways we had not already seen yet. The music in the movie also did absolutely nothing for me, and it's the first of the franchise to do this, which includes the awful prequels. I can't tell if it was the rapid fire editing and constant up close shots either that caused this, but the music left no lasting effect, which was a first for the series.

Also, it's probably just due to Abrams directing, but the movie overall felt too much like the last two Star Trek movies; which is ironic, because a lot of people complained that those movies felt too much like Star Wars. Overall I thought the movie was pretty good, but I really was expecting more than maybe thirty minutes of new material. Fans wanted this movie to be closer to the original trilogy, and that's what they got. Literally.

I really really liked it.

It felt like a star wars movie, though updated for the 2010s, it definitely did not try to seem like a movie made in the 70s or 80s.

I'm going to see it again, I'll have more thoughts after that, but for now I'll say that while of course it won't replace Empire as my favorite movie, I did not leave the theater disappointed.

Sweet, the forum changes at least added spoiler tags. The old forum didn't have this as far as I know.
Anyway, for those who have seen it, I need a clarification of a specific scene.
When Chewbacca shot Kylo Ren, where exactly did he hit him again?

I loved it. It felt like Star Wars again, and not just because it's better than the prequels, but we're finally finished with the prequel timeline and can start theorizing and speculating about the future again.

I loved it. It had such an incredible updated feel but yet kept the emotional tone to every shot. The battles, the fights... the focus was on the emotions, not the visuals... which is exactly what the prequels lacked.

With that said:

Too many parallels. I think pulling the Death Star 3 out of the movie would have made a better choice, but even with all the parallels, they approached in a smart way. It didn't FEEL like parallels. It FELT new and exciting. They really instilled a new sense of wonderment and fun.

Finally, my favorite part:

Granted there's far too many to speak of, but probably after the First Order ransacks Maz Kanata's palace... there's a scene where the camera follows Finn running around with his saber and follows Poe's fight in the sky in the same shot for 30 seconds... MAN I was on the edge of my seat.

Saw it tonight. As a older guy, this was a pleasant surprise and very nostalgic. So many good things happening in this rebirth of the classic series. It definitely met my expectations and I read or looked up no spoolers so it was a true experience. May have to go see it again. The end of the movie bought claps and cheers. When you see it you will know why. Bring on episode 8!

I saw it again last night and it was better the second time..you pick up a few more things.. now have tickets for IMAX the day after Xmas!! Can't remember the last time I wanted to see a new movie multiple times! Sure.. it has it's flaws but they are pretty insignificant in the grand spectrum of the experience of seeing this movie!

Reactions: Anvil