The Top 5 List Thread

Don't know anything about Girls but the TV series is an extremely inaccurate adaptation. And also terrible.

Also he started writing the book in the 70s iirc

To elaborate on my top pick; Under the Dome is the King novel I've read the most recently and although I've always been a fan of his work, it's the first one to truly awe me. I don't know if this is due to him developing as a writer or me developing as a reader. I remember thinking that he'd truly mastered the American small town setting, it was so vividly realized and his prose was so goddamn natural. It's totally formulaic yeah, but it's like watching some guy who's been drawing circles all his life draw a perfect circle. It also suffers from shit villains and a shit ending, but both those flaws are King hallmarks so I wasn't expecting otherwise.

Reactions: CiG
From wiki:

Under the Dome is a partial rewrite of a novel King attempted to write first in 1972 under the same title and then a second time in 1982 as The Cannibals. As King stated on his official site, these two unfinished works "were two very different attempts to utilize the same idea, which concerns itself with how people behave when they are cut off from the society they've always belonged to. Also, my memory of The Cannibals is that it, like Needful Things, was a kind of social comedy. The new Under the Dome is played dead straight." From the material originally written, only the first chapter is included in the new novel.

According to Stephen J. Spignesi's 1998 book The Lost Work of Stephen King, The Cannibals (originally titled Under the Dome) is an unpublished unfinished 450-page handwritten novel written in 1982, while King was filming Creepshow. This work later served as inspiration to King's new novel Under the Dome. In 1982, King said: "I've got about four-hundred-and-fifty pages done and it is all about these people who are trapped in an apartment building. Worst thing I could think of. And I thought, wouldn't it be funny if they all ended up eating each other? It's very, very bizarre because it's all on one note. And who knows whether it will be published or not?" In Douglas E. Winter's book The Art of Darkness, Stephen King is also quoted, talking around the time of Creepshow, about the origins of Under the Dome: "I worked on a book called The Cannibals—I had started it five years before, but it was called Under the Dome then. It didn't get finished either time."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Dome_(novel)#The_Cannibals_connection

To elaborate on my top pick; Under the Dome is the King novel I've read the most recently and although I've always been a fan of his work, it's the first one to truly awe me. I don't know if this is due to him developing as a writer or me developing as a reader. I remember thinking that he'd truly mastered the American small town setting, it was so vividly realized and his prose was so goddamn natural. It's totally formulaic yeah, but it's like watching some guy who's been drawing circles all his life draw a perfect circle. It also suffers from shit villains and a shit ending, but both those flaws are King hallmarks so I wasn't expecting otherwise.

Exactly, the ending was so shit. Completely uninspiring. The dog chapter was so good tho haha.

WTB: Top 5 List of best Ozric Tentacles albums. I've only heard 3 and want to hear more.

I asked someone that I know who loves this band and he says this:

Erpland
Jurassic Shift
Strangeitude
Waterfall Cities
The Hidden Step

He loaned me a CD by them a few years back but I don't even remember what it sounds like.

Reactions: Baroque
I asked someone that I know who loves this band and he says this:

Erpland
Jurassic Shift
Strangeitude
Waterfall Cities
The Hidden Step

He loaned me a CD by them a few years back but I don't even remember what it sounds like.

The 3 I've heard are the first 3 on that list. Oh I've also heard their most recent one, whatever that was called. Thanks for the recs.

There are only five I regularly listen to, which I'd rank...

1. Pungent Effulgent
2. Curious Corn
3. Erpland
4. Strangeitude
5. Jurassic Shift

But those top four are incredibly close. I might be overrating Pungent Effulgent actually, that one has been a while longer whereas Strangeitude has grown on me. I've listened to some the other albums, a bit of their early cassette stuff and relatively more recent electronic-tinged stuff, but I kinda feel that I have all the Ozrics I need with the five above.

Reactions: Baroque
Top 5 PC games:

1. (Open) Transport Tycoon Deluxe
2. Roller Coaster Tycoon 2
3. Quake III
4. Quake World
5. Age of Empires II

Probably forgetting something...

I actually watched a bunch of AoE2 games this week. It's such a cool game. I can't play it because it's stressful as shit (good play requires you to have 100+ villagers by the late game, assuming a pop cap of 200, so the amount of infrastructure management you have to do while waging war is crazy) but I love spectating it. Games that go into the late-game especially turn into huge, chaotic slugfests.

This was the best one I saw. Not a high-level game but lots of fun.

Reactions: zabu of nΩd
WTB: Top 5 List of best Ozric Tentacles albums. I've only heard 3 and want to hear more.

They are very consistent, so most of their albums are relatively worth it if you like their sound.

1. Jurassic Shift
2. Curious Corn
3. Erpland
4. Pungent Effulgent
5. Waterfall Cities

If I add Strangeitude my list would be very on par with Elric and HBB (of which I should since I rank a lot of their albums about equal). I tend to like the older jam stuff to the newer more electronic influenced stuff, but imo Waterfall Cities is a good bridge album between the styles.

Top 5 games right now. Not of all time, just that you might be most inclined to play based on personal experience or just your stoked factor for something coming out.

1) Fallout 4
2) WoW (legion is solid!)
3) Civ VI (so stoked for this release later in the month)
4) Don't Starve
5) XCOM2

I actually watched a bunch of AoE2 games this week. It's such a cool game. I can't play it because it's stressful as shit (good play requires you to have 100+ villagers by the late game, assuming a pop cap of 200, so the amount of infrastructure management you have to do while waging war is crazy) but I love spectating it. Games that go into the late-game especially turn into huge, chaotic slugfests.

This was the best one I saw. Not a high-level game but lots of fun.

Yeah it is really cool, I mean, Starcraft is probably a better and more balanced game really, but AoEII is much more fun! It really feels epic and like grand battles!

I played lots in school when I was in high school, mostly 2on2 or 3ffa. we where probably not very good (only played LAN) but we read up on pro tactics and stuff so atleast it was real games. The problem was that it was before the Koreans nerf so the siege onegars (with +2 range) + halberdiers combo was impossible to beat. It was like a meat grinder. So we banned them, then turks was too strong so we banned them too etc. ;)
It eventually went pretty well for awhile until someone tried tower rushing. Then basically nobody wanted to play anymore. XD

Top 5 PC games

1. Deus Ex
2. Marathon 2: Durandal
3. Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny
4. Baldur's Gate 2
5. Crusader: No Remorse

Top 5 chill/ambient songs by Ozric that make me wish they'd put out a full-fledged ambient album:
  1. Lost in the Sky
  2. Floating Seeds
  3. Butterfly Garden
  4. Spirals in Hyperspace
  5. Akasha
Top 5 games I've watched on YouTube recently:
  1. Inside
  2. SimCity 2000
  3. RimWorld
  4. Minecraft
  5. Descent 3

Last edited: