The Top 5 List Thread

Not surprising, you and I rarely see eye-to-eye on music. For example, Hammer Of The North is a fine enough album, but to have two tracks from it dominating the upper tier of your list is questionable to me. That album is mega cheese, rather entry level. Good tunes, but empty.

I don't agree, Hammer of the North is a great album of theirs, to me it's right at the top together with The Hunt and Iron Will. Those 3 are all magnifiicent albums, I'm a bit disappointed with their most recent Sword Songs as it's the really cheesy album here.

I don't agree, Hammer of the North is a great album of theirs, to me it's right at the top together with The Hunt and Iron Will. Those 3 are all magnifiicent albums, I'm a bit disappointed with their most recent Sword Songs as it's the really cheesy album here.

I think their only bad album is the debut, just to be clear. They're consistent as a fuck in my eyes. But I just find Hammer... to be very pedestrian, still I included "I, Jury" as I do think it's a good album.

What's wrong with my number one pick anyway? It's a fucking beautiful track, pure metal mastery.

I think their only bad album is the debut, just to be clear. They're consistent as a fuck in my eyes. But I just find Hammer... to be very pedestrian, still I included "I, Jury" as I do think it's a good album.

What's wrong with my number one pick anyway? It's a fucking beautiful track, pure metal mastery.

It's good as the entire album, but I just can't see a reason for not including Like the Oar Strikes the Water when it comes to Grand Magus. If I were to rate tracks from Iron Will it would be like this:

1. Like the Oar Strikes the Water 5/5
2. Fear Is the Key 5/5
3. Hovding N/A
4. Iron Will 5/5
5. Silver Into Steel 4.5/5
6. The Shadow Knows 5/5
7. Self Deceiver 4.5/5
8. Beyond Good and Evil 3.5/5
9. I Am the North 4/5

Well I am sure that's a good generalised list that a majority could agree on, but if all you want to see is a variation on the narrow confines of popular opinion, why bother doing this at all?

Every turd fan under the sun would have some variation of "Like The Oar..." or "Kingslayer" in the number one slot. It's an easy, unthinking choice reached comfortably, with little disagreement.

I like to think my list is much more personal to me and my own experiences regarding the band in question and thus, my choices are a mixture of unexpected and obviousness.

Top 5 thrash metal songs from demo-only bands:

1. Ulysses Siren - No Trace of Shame
2. Maelstrom - As Time Passed/A Futile Crusade
3. Ruthless Horde - The Forgotten Dead
4. Have Mercy - In Misery* (they had an EP on Combat but this isn't from that)
5. Chaos Horde - Mad Monk

Top 5 trad/power metal songs from demo-only bands:

1. Sage Meridien - Dark Imperium
2. Anathema - Spring Heeled Jack
3. Glacier - The Blind Leadin' the Blind
4. Montage - Blitzkrieg
5. Final Prophecy - Obsession

Top 5 prog metal songs from demo-only bands:

1. Dreadnot - Intolerable Head Scenery
2. Spectral Incursion - Visions
3. Absolute Zero - Unsigned Checks
4. Matrix - Traveler
5. Kingsbane - Dreamscape

Some of that stuff probably won't appeal, but that Ruthless Horde demo really needs to reach the in-crowd, particularly that one song which is the closest thing I know of to Holy Terror at their best, and there are other really amazing songs on it too.