The Top 5 List Thread

I actually love a lot of the Coens' movies but they really rile me in others, primarily their comedies.
giphy.gif

For the record, I love The Big Lebowski.

Let's settle this in the appropriate form.

Top 5 Coen brothers movies:

1. Miller's Crossing
2. The Big Lebowski
3. No Country for Old Men
4. Hail, Caesar! (yes controversial I know)
5. Inside Llewyn Davis

The Hudsucker Proxy might be the worst example of a Coen bros comedy and I haven't even seen it, but I'm basing this on the fact that nobody I know seems to have seen it either and the ones that have either don't remember anything about it or treat it as if it's meh.

I can't really finalise a Coen Bros list as I'm more endeared to the ones I've seen multiple times, and the newest I've seen is True Grit. But I'd probably be starting with these:

1. Fargo
2. The Hudsucker Proxy
Intolerable Cruelty
No Country for Old Men
The Ladykillers
True Grit

I used to think Hudsucker was a bit slow but I've mellowed out and found it hilarious when I rewatched it this year. Its dystopian setting is great, a total homage to the likes of Brazil.

The Hudsucker Proxy might be the worst example of a Coen bros comedy and I haven't even seen it, but I'm basing this on the fact that nobody I know seems to have seen it either and the ones that have either don't remember anything about it or treat it as if it's meh.

it's actually pretty solid tbf, it was co-written by raimi and he directed the best scene. i think INTOLERABLE CRUELTY and THE LADYKILLERS are worse. i like O BROTHER less as well but i know i'm in the minority there.

1) the man who wasn't there
2) miller's crossing
3) inside llewyn davis
4) no country for old men
5) blood simple
6) barton fink
7) fargo
8) the big lebowski
9) raising arizona
10) burn after reading

best top 10 list of any director(s) ever?

Reactions: CiG
I've only seen 9 Coen Bros films at this point, also I wouldn't really call myself a fan of O Brother, Where Art Thou? at all TBH.

Might rewatch it soon, maybe something will click this time.

Edit: oh wait, I've seen 10 but for some reason I haven't rated True Grit yet.

No, but I can believe the original's better. I only threw it on the list as being one I found decent enough to watch twice. Most of their films just didn't really click with me. Outcrowd taste...

Alec Guinness is terrifically slimy in the original. It was directed by Alexander McKendrick who isn't too well known these days but he had a really acerbic wit and did some great films like Sweet Smell of Success.

Shame not seeing The Man Who Wasn't There in more lists, great fucking movie.

i love it so much. frances mcdormand's performance devastates me.

I don’t know where I’m being taken. I don’t know what I’ll find beyond the earth and sky. But I’m not afraid to go. Maybe the things I don’t understand will be clearer there, like when a fog blows away. Maybe Doris will be there. And maybe there I can tell her all those things they don’t have words for here.

Not even close for me.

Kubrick, Scorsese, Wilder, Hitchcock, Cronenberg, Kurosawa, Kieslowski, Bunuel spring to mind. Probably haven't seen 10 Bergmans yet but he'd be up there too.

hitch, lynch, cassavetes and altman are in the running for me. i could see ford and sono coming close too, and PTA when he reaches ten. maybe even coppola would be in the hunt, already an amazing top 5 and there are so many movies of his that tasteful people consider to be underappreciated gems.

Reactions: CiG