The Top 5 List Thread

Top 5 actors who haven't made films that I like as much as I like them:

1. Noomi Rapace
2. Sandra Bullock
3. Joseph Gordon-Levitt
4. Christina Ricci
5. Chris O'Donnell

If anybody has any recs related to these actors throw 'em my way.

i love araki's MYSTERIOUS SKIN with JGL, not sure if it's your kinda thing though. also fond of PREMIUM RUSH, and LOOPER to a point.

de palma's PASSION is pretty fun with rapace.

christina ricci is in BUFFALO '66 which has been near the top of my wishlist for ages now, a lot of imo tasteful people love that movie whatever that's worth.

chris o'donnell's in a random late robert altman movie called COOKIE'S FORTUNE, no idea if it's good but altman's usually cool.

Reactions: CiG
Demolition Man w/ Bullock is one of my most recent viewings out of that list. Can't remember if I picked up that recommendation on this forum or another, but definitely entertaining enough to watch again sometime.

he's more annoying as a personality and actor than as a filmmaker though. the most annoying parts of his movies are usually his cameos

i'm kinda triggered by the wes anderson and coens picks but i mean, i get it lol. they're similar filmmakers in how tonally controlled and formally micro-managed and cutely structured everything is, but i love ultra calculated filmmakers where the feeling sneaks up through the OCD surface, it hits me way harder than naturalism or w/e. i get that it isn't for everyone, and i think if you aren't into one of their films within the first 20 minutes or so it can be a real slog sometimes.

i think haneke and von trier are intentionally trying to be annoying so while i'd agree i'm not sure it's a useful criticism lol. i'd throw inarritu in there, pretentious old fuck that he is.

i quite like luhrmann tbh! he is kind of a Women's Filmmaker but a good one

i'd probably pick someone like kevin smith or danny boyle or martin mcdonagh, but all those guys have their moments. some others who frequently annoy me are paul greengrass, sarah polley, gus van sant.

the ultimate answer though, even though he's a very adept director and always pretty Interesting imo, has to be m. night shyamalan. dude does so much annoying shit in his movies and seems like such a prick. it was kinda funny watching norm fuck with him on his show.

What annoys me about Tarantino is that his scripts feel like pure masturbation to me. I'd like to see him try to make a silent film, just so he can prove he can make a film that doesn't have endless dialogue. That probably sounds like a retarded criticism and I can't remember when or which film of his set me off with this annoyance but now I just can't get over it. :bah:

he's more annoying as a personality and actor than as a filmmaker though. the most annoying parts of his movies are usually his cameos

i'm kinda triggered by the wes anderson and coens picks but i mean, i get it lol. they're similar filmmakers in how tonally controlled and formally micro-managed and cutely structured everything is, but i love ultra calculated filmmakers where the feeling sneaks up through the OCD surface, it hits me way harder than naturalism or w/e. i get that it isn't for everyone, and i think if you aren't into one of their films within the first 20 minutes or so it can be a real slog sometimes.

i think haneke and von trier are intentionally trying to be annoying so while i'd agree i'm not sure it's a useful criticism lol. i'd throw inarritu in there, pretentious old fuck that he is.

i quite like luhrmann tbh! he is kind of a Women's Filmmaker but a good one

i'd probably pick someone like kevin smith or danny boyle or martin mcdonagh, but all those guys have their moments. some others who frequently annoy me are paul greengrass, sarah polley, gus van sant.

the ultimate answer though, even though he's a very adept director and always pretty Interesting imo, has to be m. night shyamalan. dude does so much annoying shit in his movies and seems like such a prick. it was kinda funny watching norm fuck with him on his show.

Funnily enough Kevin Smith, Danny Boyle and Gus Van Sant all narrowly missed out on my list. Boyle in particular was close, his "look at me" directorial style really shits me. Agree with Inarritu as well.

I actually love a lot of the Coens' movies but they really rile me in others, primarily their comedies.

I know Anderson's style is deliberate but I just find it insufferably twee with his stilted use of dialogue and wholly unlikable caricatures.

What annoys me about Tarantino is that his scripts feel like pure masturbation to me. I'd like to see him try to make a silent film, just so he can prove he can make a film that doesn't have endless dialogue. That probably sounds like a retarded criticism and I can't remember when or which film of his set me off with this annoyance but now I just can't get over it. :bah:

I can see the force in this. That's why his films work much better when the dialogue zings like in Pulp Fiction, and really struggle otherwise (Hateful Eight).

Reactions: CiG
Funnily enough Kevin Smith, Danny Boyle and Gus Van Sant all narrowly missed out on my list. Boyle in particular was close, his "look at me" directorial style really shits me. Agree with Inarritu as well.

I actually love a lot of the Coens' movies but they really rile me in others, primarily their comedies.

I know Anderson's style is deliberate but I just find it insufferably twee with his stilted use of dialogue and wholly unlikable caricatures.

i used to feel that way about anderson but he opened up to me after a few years as i began to recognise the undercurrents of pain and longing fuelling that style. his films are essentially attempts to preserve innocence from a place of experience, creating fragile illusions of the ideal as a shield against painful reality. it would be boring if this escapism was completely successful but by nature it never can be, so there's this tension at the heart of it, and his films have become more ingenious and self-appraising as he's become more aware of that. while i'm not sure if it's my favourite, i think THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL is his magnum opus in how it summarises and pushes furthest the themes/emotions running throughout his career - it's also among his least 'twee' for what it's worth.

the coens' comedies are pretty hit and miss for me, i never liked O BROTHER for example but i do like THE BIG LEBOWSKI and BURN AFTER READING a lot. RAISING ARIZONA i usually don't like much for a while and then something clicks and the final passage always kills me.

yeah i mostly hate boyle but i liked TRANCE a lot for some reason. i have fond memories of SHALLOW GRAVE too but i haven't seen that since i was a teenager so it might be shitty.

i think tarantino has shown enough over the course of his career to suggest that he can be a great director without dialogue. he's directed plenty of strong action scenes, suspense scenes, quite a few memorable images. i like his writing anyway though, generally speaking. i mean it's hard to praise or criticise tarantino too much because he's really just channelling movies he's seen and loved. he's the ultimate postmodern filmmaker in that he's paradoxically at his most personal when he's quoting movies he's seen, because they define his entire identity. it's hard to say how much credit he really deserves for these pastiches; his most notable trait is his taste in & boundless affection for movies.

I do appreciate Tarantino's film geeking, it's easily his most redeeming feature I think. It's why the Kill Bill films are my favourite of his stuff actually, it's like a rollercoaster ride of insane references and genre worshipping.