The Top 5 List Thread

top 5 father ted eps:
1) are you right there father ted?
2) kicking bishop brennan up the arse
3) speed 3
4) chirpy burpy cheap sheep
=5) tentacles of doom
=5) hell

couldn't decide on the last spot. so many good eps i had to leave off too.

Reactions: Onder
Surprised no-one mentioned The Shining when horror movies were being discussed a few pages back.

3 is best! there isn’t much continuity between eps so you could just watch the ones i listed (nb. kicking bishop brennan is part 2 of a two-parter). i can’t think of any particular reason to watch them all in order, although the consistency level is pretty high so i’m not saying you shouldn’t either. my top 3 in particular are masterful examples of tight comic construction from beginning to end, they’re essential viewing for anyone who likes comedy IMO. a lot of people would pick ‘song for europe’ as well, that’s a very beloved ep that was tough to leave out.

i love that show in general. great sense of place, you really feel stuck on a remote island with these people, there’s something melancholy and wintery to it. love the surreal/absurd touches, the range of great side-characters, the way it constantly pokes fun at religion without ever feeling like it’s taking cheap shots. some of the jokes are a bit too broad or slapstick but that doesn’t hurt it much for me. i’d take it over every british sitcom aside from maybe peep show.

I've only seen season 1 but I get what you mean. I love how minimalist it is; you'd expect a series taking place on a remote island and having only four regular characters to have especially well-developed characters to carry the show or something like that, but instead it goes the other direction and has especially one-dimensional characters. (Feck!) My initial reaction to the show was one of bewilderment - how the hell do you make a good show out of these elements? But over time I came to realize a lot of the humor is derived from the simple fact that this is what you're stuck with, these flat characters and this shitty fucking island where nothing happens. (It reminds me a lot of my hometown, incidentally.) The mundanity of it all also makes the surreal/absurd touches really stand out. Of course, I don't know if the show changes any as it goes on, but I watched the "Hell" episode earlier today and it basically encapsulates everything I just talked about and it's probably my favorite episode yet.

nice. the “small... far away. small... far away.” scene is one of the most quoted here.

the guy who plays the exceptionally irritating camp priest is our most popular late night talk show host these days, he’s basically our conan.

my dad had a house on the shetland isles where i stayed many times, and it’s basically identical to craggy island and only accessible via a 14 hour ferry journey, so i can relate to the isolation and mundanity too.

Haven’t watched Father Ted in years but I remember enjoying it a lot.

I don’t really have time for TV these days between my gaming addiction and constant work to do. Putting in 60-70 hour weeks at the minute and I’m constantly exhausted!

Reactions: Onder
top 5 father ted eps:
1) are you right there father ted?
2) kicking bishop brennan up the arse
3) speed 3
4) chirpy burpy cheap sheep
=5) tentacles of doom
=5) hell

couldn't decide on the last spot. so many good eps i had to leave off too.

As I was watching "Are You Right There Father Ted?" I was wondering what makes this no country's favorite episode. Then nazism came into the picture and I wondered no more.

As I was watching "Are You Right There Father Ted?" I was wondering what makes this no country's favorite episode. Then nazism came into the picture and I wondered no more.

lol. aside from my great love of nazism, i just think it's beautifully constructed. even if you've already figured out what the punchline's gonna be the fucking hamster tips it over the edge.

and that slideshow, man. cato from the pink panther films :lol:

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
1. Victim of Changes
2. Dreamer Deceiver/Deceiver
3. Island of Domination
4. Epitaph
5. Genocide

Tyrant is their worst song of the 76-78 albums, and The Ripper is kinda gimmicky if still good and memorable.

Top 5 Clutch albums. Might have done that in the past, but the list is always subject to change.

1. Blast Tyrant
2. Earth Rocker
3. Psychic Warfare
4. Clutch
5. The Elephant Riders

Top 5 Clutch albums. Might have done that in the past, but the list is always subject to change.

1. Blast Tyrant
2. Earth Rocker
3. Psychic Warfare
4. Clutch
5. The Elephant Riders
Stop redoing lists you’ve already done and rate the fucking non-metal game you fuck

Reactions: EspaDa