The (Un)official write anything you want page

New Criticism, Structuralism, and Post-Structuralism

One my friend has studied literature and to me it seems odd that these people, ie professors and the leading intellectuals of the field, are much more concerned with some theory or other (which after a few years or so go out of fashion) than actual books and the reading of them.

Nothing personal btw, just a little remark about something which came to mind.

Having lunch beers here would pretty much mark you as an alcoholic. I wouldn't mind it because I don't see beer as merely a prty party get drunk drink, but it'd feel weird to drink it for lunch.

1) This is a literary theory class, which is required for my major.
2) I have to write a paper analyzing a brief piece of some sort; my teacher suggested an advertisement, which I think is retarded.
3) Short stories are too long, and I've analyzed poems on numerous occasions for classes. I've never formally examined a song's lyrics before.
4) This particular song, it's lyrics, and its circumstances, have always interested me. This is not a "Metal" paper at all.

I didn't get a beer because I'm tired as hell (hungover) and had to go back to work. I never would have been able to stay awake. My wife is also going to happy hour tonight so it will be just me and the kids. Being tired as shit with those little savages is rough so I opted to skip the beer.

I had a hearing test yesterday, I lost 10db of hearing since I've been in DA KORPZ. I have no idea if that's a lot or a little but apparently 10-25db a year is normal for the infantry. We had a chuckle at the fact it is 'normal' for us to just loose fucking hearing.

Sheesh.

I had a hearing test yesterday, I lost 10db of hearing since I've been in DA KORPZ. I have no idea if that's a lot or a little but apparently 10-25db a year is normal for the infantry. We had a chuckle at the fact it is 'normal' for us to just loose fucking hearing.

Sheesh.

I wonder how much you lose in artillery. :lol:

I just noticed that on the local broadcast stations, one is playing the movie Taxi Driver, and the other is playing the movie Taxi, how odd!

DeNiro > Queen Latifah

Sheesh.

so i saw a dude today walking with his apparent wife/gf as she was pushing a baby in a stroller, except the dude was dressed in full army fatigues like he was in Iraq.
now i've seen this before, but since I have a live killing machine on the board to ask, why do military people feel the need to dress for action on American streets?

so i saw a dude today walking with his apparent wife/gf as she was pushing a baby in a stroller, except the dude was dressed in full army fatigues like he was in Iraq.
now i've seen this before, but since I have a live killing machine on the board to ask, why do military people feel the need to dress for action on American streets?

Ugh that is a distinctly Army thing. We as Marines are not allowed to wear our work clothing off base, for any reason at all. It used to be you could stop for gas on the way home, but recently that has been canked even. So, you will never see a Marine doing something like that. I would go insane if everytime I went into town I saw people in cammies walking around, yeesh. Usually it's a an overly-motivated Soldier, somone fresh out of Army basic training, or a tampon (reservist).

Yeah it was probably someone in the Army Reserves that just got done with their monthly training or something, or just a wacko. I saw two teenage kids walking home from school the other day completely decked out in camo. At first I thought maybe they were in ROTC, but they had long hair. GHEY.

Yes. But if you ever wear camo pants, camo jacket, shit brown undershirt, and combat boots all at once & just for the hell of it, I'll come down there and destroy ye :)