The Video Game Thread

Ultimecia in Final Fantasy VIII? Bloody hell, usually only takes about tento fifteen minutes to beat all four bosses usually. MANDATORY requirements are;

- Have Squall, Zell and Irvine as your main party members
- Everyone at Lv.100
- All ultimate weapons and limit breaks (Lionheart is pretty much crucial for winning)
- Have everyone's battle windows set up for Attack, Magic, Draw and Item - having the Guardian Force command enabled is utterly pointless
- Junction everyone to have high HP, luck and status defences

Ultimecia and Griever are pretty easy, though Griever's Shockwave Pulsar can sting a bit so it helps a lot to have some Heros/Holy Wars stocked. Griever/Ultimecia Junctioned is a bit tougher but ultimately pretty easy so long as you keep attacking - it's Final Ultimecia that's the bitch. Megalixers and Holy Wars willhave to be at the fucking ready here, keep casting Aura on Squall and use Renzokuken and Lionheart at every opportunity, cast Aura on Irvine and Zell too (use Irvine's Fast Ammo - with high ATK stats he can deal up to 20,000HP damage in one limit break). Frankly, I've always found it to be easy because I spent ages stocking up on items - my save files has 100 of nearly everything.

Wow thats alot of work. FF8 is definitely the most challenging to beat. That boss just nukes people and causes 9999 dmg, i've never been so pissed at a boss. Thanks for the info thrasher, it will be noted. Has anyone beat FF13?

Final Fantasy VIII, the most challenging to beat? Come back and tell me that when you've managed to beat Final Fantasy IV and V and then maybe I'll believe you.

EDIT: The SNES/Playstations versions that is. The Gameboy Advance and Nintendo DS versions are watered down to fuck.

EDIT2: Keenan, couldn't give two fucks about Birth By Sleep myself. I'll wait for them to do Kingdom Hearts properly again.

Well I have beat 2, 3, 9, & 10. I hate part 12 but i never played the ones you mentioned. Im up for the challenge. Is 13 worth buying? Anyone?

No its really not. Square (in my opinion) created a new genre with XIII, the turn-based action game. The game has close to ZERO RPG qualities.

Agreed.

Lightning is a terrible main character, the story was stupid, and the reasons above make it in my opinion, the WORST FF game I've ever played. Yes, even worse than FFII.

AHHH right! I'm not used to the term 'farming' being used outside of getting EXP and money haha. Anyway....

UPDATE!

Now 54 hours in. Cloud, Yuffie and Cid are maxed out at Lv.99, I've now go 4 Master Magics, 3 Master Commands and 2 Master Summon materia (only because I was running out of free space in my materia inventory) and mastered all four Enemy Skill materia. All I have left to do is obtain the Gambler from the Gold Saucer's Battle Square, get the remaining Master Materia sets (Set of three for each of the eight characters - so four more Magic, five Command and six Summon left to go) and level Tifa, Barret, Vincent, Red XIII and Cait Sith to max. After that I just need to beat the final three bosses until I'm fucking DONE - levelling everyone up will be easy as pie, not only because I have two mastered EXP Plus materia but also because as you level up your party, the characters outside of your battle party also level up slightly so that you don't have to work so hard with them later (I guess Square didn't want you to get up to Bizzarro Sephiroth in a 3-Party battle only for two of those three parties to die instantly).

I actually took on the final boss last night for a bit of fun, seems that all this powerlevelling and such really pays off - the reason I'm aiming to get everyone to max levels (BESIDES the perfect game thing) is because supposedly Safer Sephiroth gets an extra 10,000HP for every character you have at Lv.99 - he also gets another massive stat boost if you finish off Jenova Synthesis with Knights of the Round so that's basically what I'm doing. But even to this day, after playing Final Fantasy VII for over a decade, I'm still disappointed with how much of a pushover Safer Sephiroth is most of the time so hopefully doing this will provide a decent challenge for once.

Estimated playtime left: Between five and ten hours at most.

I'm still exceptionally surprised that I've done it this quickly! I guess playing a game for over a decade really embeds itself into your brain haha.

For a change of pace, I've just started a new game on Final Fantasy IX too - not going to aim for a perfect game though, since that's almost impossible to do without cheating.

That game is next on my list after I finish 8.

I'm back in Balamb trying to find some sleeping Captain or something, but the whole city is on lockdown. With the help of Zell's brother, I managed to sneak out thinking to myself "Fuck this, I'm going 'splorin!" :lol: The Shumi Village is a cool ass place :D

Going back to FFXIII, you know what was good about it? The Music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes, the battle theme is great. The rest...... Sounds out of place in my opinion. Especially Leona Lewis. WTF Square....

FFXIII's soundtrack is poor! Not composed by Uematsu or Ishimoto either, which probably explains a lot.

FFIX UPDAtE: 9.30 in, just got to Treno at the start of disc 2. This game fucking reeks of nostaligia.