The Video Game Thread

Versus XIII plays more like a flashier Kingdom Hearts supposedly. Whilst that's a good thing (an extremely good thing), it's not representative of the series as a whole. If you want to start off, try giving FFX a go.

Versus XIII plays more like a flashier Kingdom Hearts supposedly. Whilst that's a good thing (an extremely good thing), it's not representative of the series as a whole. If you want to start off, try giving FFX a go.

I was talking about FFXIII-2. I have FFVII somewhere, I just havent gotten around t play it. I know FF is a great series, it has its ups and downs like all do but you know.....its one of those things where if you didnt play it in the day in some form you wont have that nostalgia/fanboy feeling towards it.

Well got Uncharted 3 with my PS3 today 320gb for only $299. Game is ace and the frontier franchise for the PS3. The system also came with Uncharted 1 & 2 for free!

Uncharted 1 and 2 are very cool games. Initially I didn't dig the series too much, but a buddy sucks at video games and he called me up to come over and help him beat the games. I'm also looking forward to Skyrim. I am going to swing by gamestop tomorrow and see if I can still pre-order the game and find out if the store is doing a midnight release. That SSX video also looks very interesting.

Uncharted 3 is a big disappointment so far. Two chapters left, not really caring about how it's gonna end. The year of disappointments continues. :(

I say bring on the next generation game systems, Im looking forward to the next wave. Anyway yes Skyrim will be next in line as a purchase. The Oblivion game I put in about 160 hours+. I'm looking forward to the next adventures, and overall just something to get mind off the realities of the dying world. I feel I get my moneys worth with these games because they are so open and endless hours of gameplay await. Good game for the winter it will be.

haven't been truely captivated by a game in ages. Crisis Core is the most recent one (that was 2007) and that was ridiculously short - most of the game was spent doing those 300 missions. Before that the last one was probably Snake Eater.

Just finished Battlefield 3's singleplayer.... Let down once again. The story was great, the twist in the second to last mission was sheer brilliance, but there was no fucking ending! We get a minute or so scene involving the other main character, but the guy you played as for 90% of the game had no ending?! Stupid.

Overall, the game is great though. Just disappointed by the "ending".

Since I'm clearing out my room for refurbishment and thus can't play my PS2 for the time being, I've been binging on my PSP for a few days. I've completed Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep on Normal, that turned out to get much better as it progressed... replaying the whole thing on Proud and shooting as high a completion as possible without playing those goddamn Disney Town mini games (FFFFFFFFFFFFUCK YOU RUMBLE RACING AND FRUITBALL!), hoping to actually level up to Lv.99 with all three characters this time and everything. I found myself playing Capcom Classic Collection quite a lot too, mostly on Final Fight, Strider and Quiz of Dragons... oddly enough. Strider is amazing as ever but I have little patience for it these days - it's still as good as ever, but it's still as batshit impossible too. I've pretty much finished with Dissidia 012 now, I'm on my fourth (and possibly final) playthrough of Crisis Core on Hard, I finished Final Fantasy, too infuriated to continue with Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection, started a game on Final Fantasy II that I just cannot be bloody bothered with and I've played Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX and Tekken a few times to relieve boredom. But the majority of my time has gone towards Castlevania.

I bought Dracula X Chronicles months and months ago, and it's essentially a 2.5D remake of Rondo of Blood - the REAL selling point is that it also has updated versions of the original RoB (which was never released outside of Japan) and Symphony of the Night. Those of you who have never played SotN, do so by any means necessary - I remember playing this when I was eight and I loved the shit out of it. Then I sold it, which was a fucking stupid idea because it's worth a fortune these days... ah well. The thing is though, that SotN was one of the game's main selling points - it's even featured in the manual and on the game box. But they don't tell you that you have to unlock it,, alongside the original RoB by playing the main game (the remake) first. Suffice to say, being a 'classic' Castlevania game, it's impossible to get past the second level. So I just downloaded a save file from the internet just to play SotN :lol: I've spent all my time playing Symphony of the Night, I don't think I've bothered with Rondo of Blood or Dracula X whatsoever except one afternoon where I played through the final stage of Dracula X for shits and giggles.

But holy crap, Symphony of the Night brings back memories... it's mightily infuriating due to it's completely open-ended nature (kind of like Metroid), thus you end up roaming corridors for hours just looking for something you haven't picked up or a door you haven't opened, and the difficulty spike when you enter the inverted castle is utterly fucking insane. When you're killing everything in a single hit one minute, then GETTING killed in a single hit the next, you lose your shit big time. But all of that aside, it's just so fucking good in every way! I forgot how unbelievably fluid the sprites are - for 1997, it's more fluid than a lot of fighting games I've played since then. Shitloads of exploration, plenty of enemy variety in terms of both design and attack patterns, countless rooms to explore (I think I'm up to about 1200+ rooms so far and I'm not even halfway there) alongside some incredible backgrounds, splendidly implemented RPG elements and what I can only call one of the best soundtracks ever composed have reduced me to a blubbering nostalgic mess. There's nothing more satisfying.

The best news is that not only can you get the refined edition as part of Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles on PSP, but the original PSone version of Symphony of the Night - without a few enemies, items and whatnot - is available to download on PS3 and Xbox 360 too. Seriously, I cannot stress how good this game is - everyone should give it a go, and if you haven't played it in a long time then you can join me in my nostalgia trip :p

I don't like handheld gaming. I have Birth By Sleep, and only finished Ven's story because I just can't play a handheld device for more than an hour. I agree though, Rumble Racing and Fruitball are stuuuuuuupid. :lol:

I bought Symphony of the Night off the PSN Store in 2008 and used it to relieve boredom on the way to, during and the way back from a family vacation and I agree there too, the game is legendary. You made me want to restart it when I have so many other things to do. :( :lol:

The first one?

I still need to get Brotherhood, then Revelations after that... I finished Skyrim though. The end was EPIC.