The way I waste my time - my top 5 metal albums

Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
Devin Townsend - Terria
Agalloch - The Mantle
Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja
Enslaved - Below the Lights

The last three may change on any given day, but the first two will always be on that list.

1) Slayer - Reign in Blood (what's wrong with all you people?)
2) Destroyer 666 - Phoenix Rising (just magnificent extreme metal)
3) Opeth - Morningrise (atmosphere...)
4) Astriaal - Renascent Misanthropy (aussie melodic black metal)
5) Agalloch - The Mantle (again, why hasnt this been mentioned? It's perfect!)

Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness
Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
Opeth - Still Life
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Winds - Reflections of the I

ShroudOfDusk said:
5) Agalloch - The Mantle (again, why hasnt this been mentioned? It's perfect!)
it has, 2 posts up.

hmm ill try 5 but it changes too often...

Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Novembre - Novembrine Waltz
Orphaned Land - Mabool
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
Iron Maiden - Powerslave

ill probably remember another album soon that i like better or something.

btw butterfly temple rule :)

Opeth\m/\m/ said:
Ah you NU METAL FAGS, damn listen to some good stuff , METALLICA SUCKS! They are so bad I hate them. The five best metal albums are.

1.Opeth- My arms your hearse
2.Opeth- Still Life
3.Opeth-Blackwater Park
4.In Flames- The Jester Race
5.Katatonia- A shade of darkness

Metallica isn't NU Metal you dumbass, nu metal is Disturbed and shit like that.

Black Sabbath - Volume 4
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Opeth - Still life
Pain of Salvation - the perfect element part 1
Opeth - Orchid

Opeth\m/\m/ said:
Ah you NU METAL FAGS, damn listen to some good stuff , METALLICA SUCKS!

Yeah, METAlLICA SUCKS man, they ARE SoO last week DUdE \m/, kickass. I HAtE THeM So MuCH. They play NU-METAL, and AlL NU-METaL SUcKS!!!! \m/. \m/. Metallica hasn't done SHIT to METAl MAn, THeY ArE JuST SoO BAD. I've OnlY HearD sT.Anger But THis Mastar Of Puppets is BUllsHiT _NO _CLASssics. \m/ In FlamES ARe So MUCH BETter EspaCeially theiR newest album SOUNDTraCK TO Your ESCaPE mAn F(R)ienD YEAH \m/

estimate said:
Yeah, METAlLICA SUCKS man, they ARE SoO last week DUdE \m/, kickass. I HAtE THeM So MuCH. They play NU-METAL, and AlL NU-METaL SUcKS!!!! \m/. \m/. Metallica hasn't done SHIT to METAl MAn, THeY ArE JuST SoO BAD. I've OnlY HearD sT.Anger But THis Mastar Of Puppets is BUllsHiT _NO _CLASssics. \m/ In FlamES ARe So MUCH BETter EspaCeially theiR newest album SOUNDTraCK TO Your ESCaPE mAn F(R)ienD YEAH \m/

For the record...emulating teen angst font is not "cool". :Smug:

Opeth- Still Life
Nevermore- PoS
Pain of Salvation- The Perfect Element Pt.1
Metallica- Master of Puppets
Megadeth- Rust in Peace

5 is just too short!

Extremely hard to do... barring mutiples from each group:

1) Metallica - Ride The Lightning (First band to impact me in my life and every song deserves a perfect score. MoP would be this album's equal were it not for the song "The Thing that Should not Be")

2) Opeth - Still Life (The Moor, Godheads Lament and Serenity Painted Death are timeless epic songs that are extremely challenging, which creates an atmosphere like few others.)

3) Edge of Sanity - Crimson (A timeless masterpiece of utmost quality)

4) Death - Symbolic (Another band with a full catalogue of near-flawless albums. Maybe I mention this band because of the Death metal legacy... but to feel Chuck's confusion in songs like "Empty Words" and "The Philosopher" is something else.

5) Agalloch - Pale Folklore (I agree with the previous posters that Agalloch deserves to be up here in terms of grandiose experiences, fantastic intro with "She Painted Fire Across the Sky."

I listen to almost 600 metal bands now and, obviously, it is very difficult to have 5 stand alone but this is the best I could do. All these bands had a passionate impact on me in one or another, if it were for pure technicallity this list would look quite a bit different.

On another note I'm glad to see someone chose Kalmah on theire list, certainly a fine band, were it not for the average vocalist they would be classic at such a young age.

I don't know....

in no particular order,

Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - My Arms, your Hearse
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast

I am not really sure about including Black Sabbath, even though I love them. They honestly strike me as more blues than metal, or at least some combination of the two. I guess I'll take some shit for that.

DrX said:
I don't know....

in no particular order,

Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - My Arms, your Hearse
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast

I am not really sure about including Black Sabbath, even though I love them. They honestly strike me as more blues than metal, or at least some combination of the two. I guess I'll take some shit for that.

right...this whole time i thought black sabbath was metal...they were really a blues band. thanks for clearing that up! o_O :tickled: :Smug:

but you were right about one thing...you WILL take shit for that. :D

1. Opeth - MAYH - Magnificent. So much atmosphere, and a true sense of dispair is exuded from this album. In all of extreme metal, I have yet to hear something so intense, not in a heavy sense, but in the sheer power and honesty in the music. It may be a concept, but it is as if the ghost himself from the story had made this album.
2. Katatonia - Brave Murder Day - The darkest album I have ever heard. After this (not counting the Sounds of Decay EP) they abandoned metal, though still remaining dark, but this is the peak of their metal output.
3. Devin Townsend - Biomech/Ocean Machine - Woah. Devin doesn't approach metal like most, basing most of the songs on dynamics and layering. His vocals on this album are anywhere from soft and euphoneous, to standing in front of a megaphone, kick you in the scrotum loud.
4. EoS - Crimson - So damn epic. How Swano comes up with music of such high quality in such incredible quantities is astounding.
5. In Flames - The Jester Race - So many melodies, but heavy at the same time. A deserved classic.
6. Novembre - Novembrine Waltz - This is a really "warm" album to me, which is kind of strange, considering that it's metal. It just doesn't seem heavy as much as a simply beautiful, ethereal dream. I love it. "Flower" is one of my all time favorite songs.

Runners Up:
Agalloch - The Mantle
Death - Human
In Flames - Whoracle

Of all time....damn too hard to list just five, but here is some I'd have to consider.

Hypocrisy - Abducted & s/t
Death - Symbolic & The Sound of Perseverence
Iron Maiden - all of them w/ Bruce
Judas Priest - all w/ Halford
Opeth - Still Life

Ok, I'm stopping w/ five bands.