the "what are you currently listening to" thread

Theocracy - As The World Bleeds

Ain't it great?!

I'll probably never be a big Epica fan (though they ARE good), bur I absolutely love that song.

Actually, Design Your Universe is another album I picked up cheap last night. I'm not sure if there's a huge sale at Amazon or what, but there are truly ridiculous amount of albums on sale for $4.99 right now. Symphony X, Iron Maiden, Nightwish, Epica, Delain, Avantasia, Helloween, Hammerfall, Megadeth, Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian, Fates Warning, Harmony, Iced Earth, Rhapsody of Fire, Kamelot, Becoming the Archetype, and yeah, Theocracy too. And that's just some of the METAL bands - I gave up trying to go through the whole list. I know I sound like an advertisement here, but trust me, it's worth a look.

Just don't be an idiot like me and not refine your search by genre - I could kick myself for all the time I wasted by not doing that. :mad:

EDIT: On a related note, I was thinking of picking up a Sonata Arctica album - what's the best one?

On a related note, I was thinking of picking up a Sonata Arctica album - what's the best one?

Two answers:

I would say Reckoning Night is the easy choice for you here, especially since you like Theocracy. Just incredible, with some of their catchiest songs and their truly epic song White Pearl, Black Oceans. The style on this one should be right up your alley.

The other answer you'd get is from the part of the fanbase that mainly likes the first two albums, which were more pure-speed power metal. They'd tell you Ecliptica.

I would not suggest starting with their two most recent albums (Unia and Days of Gray, which are quite a departure and are more proggy and even experimental). I love those two, but a good chunk (maybe the majority) of the fanbase hates them.

For a similar take from Matt, see posts #1 & #4:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/theocracy/179831-sonata-arctica.html

Also see post #16 for a more robust review of Reckoning Night by me :cool:

Back Through Time - Alestorm:D

On a related note, I was thinking of picking up a Sonata Arctica album - what's the best one?

I've only heard Ecliptica, Unia and The Days Of Grays, so I don't know about the other three albums, but I think 'The Days Of Grays' is great.

Lately (last couple days, or so) I've been listening to:

Amon Amarth - Fate of Norns
Harmony - Chapter II: The Aftermath
Helloween - Walls of Jericho

Amon Tobin - Like Regular Chickens

Reckoning Night it is. Thanks, Seastorm

Back Through Time - Alestorm:D

That song is so awesome.

SUCH MIGHTY TREASURES THEY DID HOLD
WE KILLED THEM ALL TO STEAL THEIR GOLD!

YOU PUT YOUR FAITH IN ODIN AND THOR
WE PUT OURS IN CANNONS AND WHORES
YOUR VIKING GODS WON'T SAVE YOU NOW
WHEN THE PIRATES STRIKE FROM THE STARBOARD BOW!

Listening to a classic acid fuzz rock Christian band named "The Exkursions" from the 70's. I did the layout work for the CD.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbkiBJ41Ny4&feature=related[/ame]