The Whining and Bitching Thread

If it's a windows update, USB boot and roll back the driver.
If it's a BIOS update, get the previous version from Lenovo, follow the instructions downgrade the bios. Most Lenovos have a setting to stop downgrading but it can be changed for emergency situations.

Huh? A BIOS update that isn't done manually? When does that ever happen? I've never encountered a forced BIOS update in 20+ years of computing.

EDIT: Not trying to be a dick, just genuinely curious

He didn't say it was forced, he said it had been reminding him, I took that to mean he did at least part of it manually.

However last year I know there was a BIOS updates from Asus, Alienware, Lenovo and HP that came down with Windows10 Update. Depending on versions and setups some downloaded it automatically with the Windows Update and on reboot went straight into the BIOS update and screwed lots of user not prepared to see a DOS screen on boot up, but for most people it worked. Seemed to be one of those hit and miss things not all machines got and which probably shouldn't have even happened in the first place.

If it's a windows update, USB boot and roll back the driver.
If it's a BIOS update, get the previous version from Lenovo, follow the instructions downgrade the bios. Most Lenovos have a setting to stop downgrading but it can be changed for emergency situations.

To follow up on this a bit more, I believe my BIOS is corrupted in some way because nothing I do at all will let me access the BIOS menu. None of my function keys will do anything at all, the NOVO button boots the laptop to the same Legion splash then sticks there. Doesn’t actually open the BIOS menu at all.

The only keyboard input that works (that I’m aware of) is ctrl+alt+del which just restarts the endless boot loop again.

Function F2 is the usual way into the Bios but I assume you've tried that.
Where does the boot loop get to before it restarts?
If it gets past the bios check and into software loading (i.e. Win splash screen) you might have a few options
Win10: You can make recovery media from the MS website that should boot before the hard drive tries to load Windows.
Win(x): A boot disk (USB or CD) should get you some kind of menu.
If it doesn't get past the BIOS check Lenovo might be the only ones that can fix it unless you can get a new/old flash update to run.

I rent, so there will be no oven shopping and I usually fix stuff around the house myself anyway rather than bug the real estate and end up with a rent increase the following week
That happens? Pretty sure the only time I've ever had my rent increased was the usual lease renewal hike. My property manager fixes all kinds of shit.

That happens? Pretty sure the only time I've ever had my rent increased was the usual lease renewal hike. My property manager fixes all kinds of shit.
I've been at the same place for 6 years now and we've only had one very small increase since we've been here. There has been no lease renewal, but that's pretty standard from my experience. We just go month to month. To rent the equivalent to the house we're in with a fresh lease in this area is roughly $200-$300 more a week than we currently pay. I just pay my rent on time and don't bother the real estate and fix the odd thing around the house and hope it stays that way for as long as possible.

Reactions: zabu of nΩd
Function F2 is the usual way into the Bios but I assume you've tried that.
Where does the boot loop get to before it restarts?
If it gets past the bios check and into software loading (i.e. Win splash screen) you might have a few options
Win10: You can make recovery media from the MS website that should boot before the hard drive tries to load Windows.
Win(x): A boot disk (USB or CD) should get you some kind of menu.
If it doesn't get past the BIOS check Lenovo might be the only ones that can fix it unless you can get a new/old flash update to run.

Unfortunate. I tried to make a bootable usb but that didn’t work either so I assume it’s the BIOS check where the hang up occurs because I can’t get any sort of bios function at all. From further reading it may need a new motherboard. Awesome.

Does it have a CD? Bios might not be set to boot off USB media if it does.
If there is no sort of windows splash screen then it's a good chance it's a bios loop. Most bios loops should only take about 5 seconds before they happen, whereas a Windows loop would usually be 10-30secs type time frame.
If it is a bios loops I guess it depends whether you feel comfortable opening it up. There is probably a few video tutorials on YT for the exact model, or a very close model that could show you how to get to the Bios battery, reseat the RAM etc. None of it is guaranteed but sometimes the silliest thing works.

No cd drive nah. The idiot that buys hundreds of CDs a year opted for the laptop he’d have to use an external usb cd drive with. Gonna play with it a bit today while I’m home with nothing to do and see if I can get anywhere. Feeling a bit hopeless without professional intervention at this point.

Do appreciate the advice though.

stuff that happened in the last 24 hours:
- my external hard drive containing 1TB of movies died
- front left coil spring snapped on my car
- dropped a bottle of wine
- broke a shopping trolley
- set out without my wallet and had to turn back after 5 mins
- pc bluescreened and/or failed to boot multiple times and now the sound isn't working and all kinds of weird shit keeps happening
- had a bad stomach

can i wake up now please

- pc bluescreened and/or failed to boot multiple times and now the sound isn't working and all kinds of weird shit keeps happening
- had a bad stomach

can i wake up now please

Goddamn. And I thought I was having a bad time.

Hope your week goes better

No cd drive nah. The idiot that buys hundreds of CDs a year opted for the laptop he’d have to use an external usb cd drive with. Gonna play with it a bit today while I’m home with nothing to do and see if I can get anywhere. Feeling a bit hopeless without professional intervention at this point.

Do appreciate the advice though.

I've got a CD in my laptop that stopped working 6 months ago, the only time I remember it's not working is when I go to use it!

No worries, if you get stuck with something shout out.

- had a bad stomach

can i wake up now please

You need to find the reset button.

I was just recently forced out of my vitamin D testing bench at work because of low volume and now have to work full time testing for covid-19. Meanwhile the idiot they left in charge of the vitamin D machines has less than 3 weeks of training and is a god damn moron, and im almost certain im going to come back to poorly maintained machines and a big mess to clean up. I was almost hoping to get furloughed so that I could join the mass social distancing holiday, but since I am too scared to lose my job im not gonna let that happen.

haven’t your bosses heard that old saying? never leave a moron in charge of the vitamin d machines.

Well im not sure my boss fully realizes that the guy he assigned to the bench doesn't know how to do proper maintenance on the machines nor how to properly assess standard deviation in the results, or how to document new lot numbers, etc. I trained him on all of this, but I honestly just think he is stupid cause he doesn't know it. Believe it or not, but vitamin D testing is really profitable and is actually the most important test in our department, so I expect to see a fuss over this. I don't really care for the guy so im actually going to laugh if he gets fired over this, but I doubt that will happen.

Our oven stopped working. Thanks Coronavirus.

I had to replace the oven a few years ago and in just a bog standard cheap shit Kleenmaid oven than the builder put in the bottom element was $75 and the top was $135. Some models are ridiculously fucking expensive and Australian stock on imported models is really hit and miss. Good luck.

Mines an old Chef fan forced, only one element. I’ve had a look and they go for about $30-$50.
Update: Finally received the new element today, took a while but ended up being $31 delivered. Took 2 minutes to install. Works a treat.
49AC5C84-BC09-43B3-9B4C-36E01E72185F.jpeg
Pizza time!