The wierdest band u like?

Thanks for the clarification. I really wasn't sure what exactly you meant :)

Another wierd band that I actually found on this forum is Pain Of Salvation. A must for everyone into prog metal.

Gahhh, I forgot "Darkest of the Hillside Thickets"

Basically speaking, nerd-surf-punk-rock with Cthulhu-inspired lyrics. They have a kickass cover of "Walking on the Moon" by the Police.

They're strange, but pretty innovative. They do some stuff like harmonized-feedback solos, and their new album has one VERY Tool-like riff.

I got super-drunk at a show (their first time off the west coast) and bought $70 in merchandise.. :rolleyes:

If you want me to name an actual band I guess I'll have to go with Chroma Key(Kevin Moore's solo project). That's pretty far from Opeth.

I second the Chroma Key choice. "You Go Now" is terrific thinking/driving music, and contains many bizarre but tender lyrical and musical moments. Oh, how DT suffered lyrically after he left...:cry:

System of a Down has some crazy/funky passages I like. They get heat for gaining popularity when they did, but they're bizarre and eccentric, and I dig 'em.

Sigur Ros and Godspeed You Black Emperor! both have songs of mesmerizing beauty. Great bands.

Sigur Ros and Godspeed You Black Emperor! both have songs of mesmerizing beauty. Great bands.

Hehe I'm not gonna give up on this 1 :) If u like godspeed really do check out A Silver Mount Zion - they're songs are just as (i think personally more) beautiful than godspeeds (they share 3 members), and infinitely nicer than Sigur Ros'. If ur gonna d/l a song I recommend 13 angels standing guard round the side of your bed. If at first you don't like it carry on listening. It sooo good :)

Hehe I'm not gonna give up on this 1 :) If u like godspeed really do check out A Silver Mount Zion - they're songs are just as (i think personally more) beautiful than godspeeds (they share 3 members), and infinitely nicer than Sigur Ros'... It sooo good :)

Hmm, you wet my appetite with that description/comparison. I'll definitely look into them, I can assure you. Any band that can blend beauty and crescendos gets my vote and if it's anything like GYBE!, I can be confident of the quality.

Do they still contain the orchestral sections, though, or is it more focused on the guitar?

I may be going to see GYBE! on the 30th, depending on college schedule/writing assignments, so I'll probably look into them more there, if not on the web. Thanks for the heads-up, and any additional info...