To all the new users

Look, I don't like Misanthrope's tone of voice from asking the newbies of "doing us a favor". Maybe it's a language gap thing, maybe not. The newbies owe us nothing, so stop expecting them to revitalize this forum. With that said, I do recommend and encourage new members to participate in our discussions, if they feel like it.

rahvin said:
not sure if you were talking about me, but i'm not dying for an intellectual debate. i don't think i'd even participate in one, to be honest. i was just pointing the way for those who could be interested in debates on how to make them happen. of the other users posting in this thread, misanthrope is probably interested in intellectual debates since he started the thread; solefald is keeping a religious bisyllabic profile; taliesin, arch, and siren were barking at missy; the only other poster was you. i'm confused.

I'm not sure why I tagged that comment on here, it wasn't all that relevant, therefore - Be not confused - I am an idiot.

[off topic - and rantish]
I think my point was promted by your defintion of a discussion ('something where people can express opinions - not a list of groceries etc'). I feel a presure here these days, because of comments like this (which show a bit of a sardonic attitude towards general lolling niceties and such) to say worth while things, instead of just being chatty and friendly like I used to. Now and then the big guys come and complain about the withering state of the forum, or the fact that this place is shit compared to the old days, and I just feel instead of telling everyone how stupid they are and how dead this place is they should revive or create a thread that fits their perceptions of good forum discussion. [/gah]
I feel like I'm repeating myself now, Im sure I've said this before :p

King Chaos said:
I feel a presure here these days, because of comments like this (which show a bit of a sardonic attitude towards general lolling niceties and such) to say worth while things, instead of just being chatty and friendly like I used to.

forgive me for risking a psychological comment when it's not my place to say any such thing - but don't you find it revealing that you're feeling some sort of pressure to act in a certain way just because a few happen to express their view on what they'd like to read? i mean, assuming that you're not easily swayed by peer pressure, there is a chance that you feel pushed to say worthwhile things because you appreciate that saying worthwhile things is better than saying worthless things, isn't there?

i am one person, with one voice, and a current post rate of about 2/day. there's pages of literature appearing in the feelings or q&a thread that go against my timid "pressuring". you could just read that, post there, and be satisfied. i don't invade those places with my sardonic attitude, or - worse - shut them down in an attempt at promoting intellectual aryanism, so why is it so intimidating when - on clearly labeled threads - i clarify what a discussion is? so many times i just bite my tongue (or fingers, i guess) not to irritate the many users who do find pleasure in listing their newfound groceries. on the few occasions when i get around to express my point of view, it's positively vexing to feel like i'm intimidating someone. really, in case it wasn't clear: nobody needs to listen to me.

Now and then the big guys come and complain about the withering state of the forum, or the fact that this place is shit compared to the old days, and I just feel instead of telling everyone how stupid they are and how dead this place is they should revive or create a thread that fits their perceptions of good forum discussion.

this really has nothing to do with my message, but i'm sure you've noticed that. thing is, it still seems like you're addressing it to me, so i feel i should clarify that: (a) i'm not complaining about the state of the forum, because i think this forum's state is inherent to any board online; (b) i'm not saying this place is shit compared to the old days, because the only difference i see with the old days is in my perception of the value of boards online; (c) in fact, i'm not saying this place is shit at all; (d) i'm not telling people how stupid they are, because i don't think that posting chatty nonsense equals being stupid; (e) i clearly stated elsewhere what i consider to be the main culprit for this place being dead, and i don't feel comfortable repeating again for as long as i'm using the main culprit's bandwidth and database system; (f) i have no interest in creating good forum discussion myself, i just assume others might. or should. or whatever.

From the psychological point you put forward - I will always feel like an underling here, infact, I feel insignificant in most situations (that's just me, nothing to do with other people). But In any social gathering there are always individuals with 'sway'. I feel pathetic admitting to the fact that sway on an online board does in some way effect me. Most people are writing things down so other people will read them (yes, back to basics). I want to write what other people want to read, of course while also remaining entertained - But lets not look too deeply, it's not like I'm sweating over the keyboard over each sentence. It's barely even worth talking about (my psychosematics).

The second part you quoted was not really aimed at you - But our own Misanthropic one, who has on past occassions said the types of things I raised - which I admit is off topic here and has escalated to me refining through a small comment I wrote early this morning not realising I was off topic... So missy, flame me for such an unprovoked attack if ya like :)

King Chaos said:
From the psychological point you put forward - I will always feel like an underling here, infact, I feel insignificant in most situations (that's just me, nothing to do with other people).

in regards to your position here, and without knowing whether this will help your feelings in any way, i must say that - mainly due to the disappearance of some of the oldest members - you are a full-fledged, pat-you-on-the-back-and-shake-your-hand, medals-pinned-to-your-chest regular. forget about the way you feel (i know, i'm evil like that): other users will see you as an established member with more than one foot in the door.

But In any social gathering there are always individuals with 'sway'.

which is just funny because, coincidentally, i just saw a deleted scene from the movie 25th hour which was called "sway" and featured most of the main characters defining what "sway" is for them, and when anna paquin (the young student) said that "sway" was getting into clubs through the back door without needing a ticket or having to go through security, i thought "hey, so i do have sway sometimes!" and felt all proud and cool.
ok.
sorry.

Most people are writing things down so other people will read them (yes, back to basics). I want to write what other people want to read, of course while also remaining entertained - But lets not look too deeply, it's not like I'm sweating over the keyboard over each sentence. It's barely even worth talking about (my psychosematics).

guilty as charged. i do write things down so other people will read them. not only here but every darn time i write something down: i always secretly dream of everybody in the whole jolly world reading them.
my point still stands, though: you could post last night's menu at that enticing upscale restaurant that is your home and many more people would piss their pants to read about it. that part about starting discussions, it's either for missy, who's a despicable, dirty troll who sacrifices a kid every forthnight, or for me, who's currently busy trying to figure out whether it's 8pm or 2am or 2pm or 8am (blame long-distance flights. blame the author of fight club. blame online library thesauri), and therefore probably not a good role model when it comes to what's smart and witty.

So missy, flame me for such an unprovoked attack if ya like :)

you know he likes that. you know he does, you naughty boy. ;)

Originally posted by rahvin
so many times i just bite my tongue (or fingers, i guess) not to irritate the many users who do find pleasure in listing their newfound groceries. on the few occasions when i get around to express my point of view, it's positively vexing to feel like i'm intimidating someone. really, in case it wasn't clear: nobody needs to listen to me.

Hmm, yeah, Im not here for long, but Ive noticed it, too. So I decided to join the caravan and not to give a fuck. There are other forums where I can say what I think without getting any hurt reactions. There are users like Misanthrope on every board and they are right many times, the only problem is their choise of words, which makes them look like morons. I joined the forum to discuss the band related things, but it seems Im a bit late and everythings been discussed already. :erk: So Im having fun discussing my newfound groceries. :)

i want to state the customary list of points:

1. rahvin's not protectionist. don't be fooled by the fact that he'd rather export himself than import his girlfriend: it's not a reflection of any trade theory. i should know, i am a decent economist and a decent rahvinist too.

2. he's not dictatorial or schizoid either, if you overlook his feelings about oi! music and a certain mania for teddy bears.

3. gavin: people look down on you because you're young (this will change in a few years) and because you believe in spirits and supernatural presences in your park (this too). do not worry, i like you. honestly.

4. intellectual discussions are cool. i love intellectual discussions. i'm always ready to have one if i have any qualification whatsoever to contribute. there's some forum members whom i like to exchange opinions with about bigger issues, but this rather happens on msn than the board these days. why? because the last time i tried to argue intelligently on a topic of the theoretical variety one of the replies i received felt so entirely idiotic that i lost confidence. the time before that, i spurred a major forum fight which ended up with people (me, for example) leaving. i don't think we're fit for intellectual discussions as a community: not enough humility, period (not me, sorry). on the other hand, we're all pretty emo so we're good at discussing feelings - i even believe that some of the feedback exchanged might help people in processes of emotional healing.

5. no matter how many times i hear the counter-argument, misanthrope is still a person who i'd rather not debate with: i have a certain liking for elegant structure of thoughts and discourse, so my little friends are often unlike him. on the other hand, the contribution he wanted to make with this thread seems to me pretty ok.

Hyena said:
i even believe that some of the feedback exchanged might help people in processes of emotional healing.
Oh yeah, definately, for sure. If I didn't have this place and the people here to discuss my feelings with, on one recent occasion specifically, I would have probably become naught but a quivering lump of tear stained crap, not fit to be reffered to as a homosapien, but rather a vegetable like chunk of bones and cartillidge that doesn't really do... very... much.

Hyena said:
and because you believe in spirits and supernatural presences in your park (this too). do not worry, i like you. honestly.
I believe in them because they're real. Those who choose not to believe only do so because they are affraid of the truth *chair slides across floor*. AAHHH :ill:

rhavin said:
which is just funny because, coincidentally, i just saw a deleted scene from the movie 25th hour which was called "sway" and featured most of the main characters defining what "sway" is for them, and when anna paquin (the young student) said that "sway" was getting into clubs through the back door without needing a ticket or having to go through security, i thought "hey, so i do have sway sometimes!" and felt all proud and cool.
ok.
sorry.
Yeah, that's where I got the term from also. Now that Edward Norton, he got sway. Did you watch the other extra where he's telling Spike to tighten up the framing on one of the shots. I'm shocked spike didn't slap that white boy for thinking he can boss spike around just because he's black. I bet he never told Fincher what to do in production.
Anyway, sorry rahv for making you explain yourself/justify things which didn't really need to be justified.

hyena said:
5. no matter how many times i hear the counter-argument, misanthrope is still a person who i'd rather not debate with: i have a certain liking for elegant structure of thoughts and discourse, so my little friends are often unlike him. on the other hand, the contribution he wanted to make with this thread seems to me pretty ok.

Too bad you're not capable of elegant structured thoughts and discourse, otherwise i would indulge you. Nevertheless it was pretty clear that im looking at the new blood, not Siren who childishly attacks me every chance yet accuses me of being overly aggresive, Not King Chaos who feels the compulsive necessity of never minding his own fucking bussiness and to critize everyone with a fake decency on his post, not Arch who is still bitching about favors he offered to me and i NEVER ASKED FOR using dumbass excuses that do not make any sense whatsoever ignoring the painfully obvious fact that my initial address towards the new users was completly civilized and productive.

The current forum fucking sucks, the old forum is gone, so my "evil machiavecal plan" is to actually have a comunity of new people who would hopefully push out the current worthless regulars if history is to repeat itself one more time.

Misanthrope said:
The current forum fucking sucks, the old forum is gone, so my "evil machiavecal plan" is to actually have a comunity of new people who would hopefully push out the current worthless regulars if history is to repeat itself one more time.
It doesn't work if you tell them about it, mmkay.

Misanthrope said:
Too bad you're not capable of elegant structured thoughts and discourse, otherwise i would indulge you. Nevertheless it was pretty clear that im looking at the new blood, not Siren who childishly attacks me every chance yet accuses me of being overly aggresive, Not King Chaos who feels the compulsive necessity of never minding his own fucking bussiness and to critize everyone with a fake decency on his post, not Arch who is still bitching about favors he offered to me and i NEVER ASKED FOR using dumbass excuses that do not make any sense whatsoever ignoring the painfully obvious fact that my initial address towards the new users was completly civilized and productive.

Only two expletives? You're slipping, Missy. I'm not sure if you're a sound enough leader for this endeavour.

I thank you eternally, Magnificent Soverign Of The Seven Gates Of Bashlak-Arhemh And The Open Window Of Next Door But One. May the stars shine forever upon your figgin.