To all the new users

@rahvin: i'm with you every step of the way on the theme of debate. i embrace the possibility of exchanging ideas. i don't see how this has anything to do with being crass, but i'm not going to say it anymore - apparently, there's no way of convincing misanthrope to throw whatever intellectual debate he wants our way.

i understand you're being very lenient with him, but i'm afraid that this time it's not because of a commitment to democratic, minimal moderation (which i appreciate). it seems to be because you like what he says on some level. since by now he's gravely offending me as a person and i don't want to take a stand contrary to yours over the proper reaction, i'll let it rest.

hyena said:
@rahvin: i'm with you every step of the way on the theme of debate. i embrace the possibility of exchanging ideas. i don't see how this has anything to do with being crass

it's not uncommon for conflict to take the shape of lowly insults or vulgar offense. i don't like to use lowly insults or vulgar offense. these two statements do not, in my opinion, have to have anything to do with each other.

i understand you're being very lenient with him, but i'm afraid that this time it's not because of a commitment to democratic, minimal moderation (which i appreciate).

any other user who would insult people the way he does would be equally tolerated. i'd moderate posts consisting in a series of "fuck you" and nothing else, but as long as there is content, i don't sanction form.

it seems to be because you like what he says on some level. since by now he's gravely offending me as a person and i don't want to take a stand contrary to yours over the proper reaction, i'll let it rest.

i haven't publicly approved of what he says about any board member, in part because i don't share his opinions (i.e., when it comes to you), in part because i won't gang up against anyone.

i still am not going to censor grave personal offense. others who might be interested in trying that will see me behave in the same way. and that's all.

hyena said:
since by now he's gravely offending me as a person and i don't want to take a stand contrary to yours over the proper reaction, i'll let it rest.

:lol:

If you get personally offended over something someone says over the internet you fucking deserve it for taking it seriously.

@rahvin: i wasn't implying you should censor him in your capacity as a moderator (i wouldn't even approve of that), but that maybe you should point out that i'm not the person he believes me to be in your capacity as my friend. this has nothing to do with ganging up on anyone - should any user say you're, say, an illiterate retard i would beg to differ, while i wouldn't want to censor his posts. that pertains to debate: someone says something i don't agree with, i state my position, and that's all.

@misanthrope: first of all, you're using a derogatory term in referring to women ("broads"), and i'm not happy with that. secondly, you're using many derogatory terms in referring to me, and i'm not happy with that either.

hyena said:
but that maybe you should point out that i'm not the person he believes me to be in your capacity as my friend.

see, this would lead to further arguments (involving me), which i'm trying to avoid. because i would mention that i doubt he believes you're "a broad", either strictu sensu or simply meaning coquettish. but then i would have to start explaining what i think of misanthrope's use of language relating to others, and then people would criticize my contempt for lists of groceries, and on and on.

yet, to state the obvious: misanthrope, hyena is not stupid. she's very smart and interesting. in the off-chance that you two guys ever decide to discuss a topic instead of discussing discussing a topic, you'll find her opinions offer plenty of food for thought.

and now i'm out of here.

Leave it to a broad to put a guy on the spot and squeeze a compliment out of him. And for the record we couldnt engage in discussion in a forum because im not about to have all my opinions automatically invalidated because someone cant tolerate the use of the word broad or any other derrogative terms and i cannot tolerate any form of censorship

The reason i keep the insults at this point is because i enjoy watching people take a forum and what i say seriously enough to get offended, that is almost THE definition of trolling if you ask me. It doesnt necessarily means that is what i really think of someone, and outside of my coments about how utterly boring you all are, they usually do not ring true.

So you enjoy the fact that you instill hurt in a person, and that's also the reason for hurting the person in the first place?
That just makes you an asshole

You see..
This is a troll:
troll-lg.jpg

You are just an asshole in need of a hobby.

(Keep saying we're boring and not good enough. You know that we have kept, and still keep, you going. And you'll keep coming back for more)

@MagSec4: You can call me either way, its fine. The fact still remains that this is an anonymous place of people talking through a machine, how can you take it seriously enough to get personally offended? Is like if you go play a game and get seriously offended for real because of what the guy on the videogame said to your character, you have a much larger problem if you can be so easily offended by a stupid machine and a bunch of letters typed in a screen by who the fuck knows accross thousands of miles.

When normal and balanced people get personally offended is because said insult came from someone they care about or at least give some kind of respect, admiration or good will. You know absolutely nothing about me for all you know i could just lie to you and be a 12 year old girl from japan or a 60 year old perver living right next door to you, and more imporant i know just about the same about you: nothing. How can you be insulted if i call you a retard? For all i know you could be a genious or a very intelligent and mature person who happens to like fucking around in the internet because is fun.

In fact i dont even believe Hyena when he says she's seriously offended in real life, if she is i feel sorry for her but im almost certain that she's not and that she could talk to me in real life for hours before even suspecting im the same mean guy calling her names on the forum.

Oh and you dont keep me going, i keep you going. Notice how this thread died and became much more boring until i started giving people shit again, the only reason you posted is to reply to me, not the other way around.

Misanthrope said:
The fact still remains that this is an anonymous place of people talking through a machine, how can you take it seriously enough to get personally offended? Is like if you go play a game and get seriously offended for real because of what the guy on the videogame said to your character, you have a much larger problem if you can be so easily offended by a stupid machine and a bunch of letters typed in a screen by who the fuck knows accross thousands of miles.
What you're saying here is similar to saying you can't get offended over a phone, or in a letter. Just because this is a written exercise involving machines doesn't take away the validity of what a person is saying. Most people can read into another persons attitudes and values from what they write down. It would appear here you are raisin the issue of doing the old 'join a lesbian chat room and pretend you have big titties and an ass you could munch for a week' thing. But most people do assume when you write "YOU FUCKING MORON" - that you actually have been emotionally provoked into that response... it's a worthy assumption too, as it must be said, you are the only person I've come across online that will be derogitory towards people for no good reason, like politeness is no issue and there is no genuine steel behind the remarks.

When normal and balanced people get personally offended is because said insult came from someone they care about or at least give some kind of respect, admiration or good will. You know absolutely nothing about me for all you know i could just lie to you and be a 12 year old girl from japan or a 60 year old perver living right next door to you, and more imporant i know just about the same about you: nothing. How can you be insulted if i call you a retard? For all i know you could be a genious or a very intelligent and mature person who happens to like fucking around in the internet because is fun.
I totally agree with what you said about being offended because you have respect for the offender. I had a little bit of respect for you because of your taste in film and after one or two PM's I sent you, in accordance to your wishes for recomendations, I assumed we would no longer be on insultive bases. But I'm fucking retarded for thinking that right? Either way, most of the insults you spurt just seem empty now, due to the views of interaction you have posted. So however cutting you get, it's quite likely I won't dislike you for it (although there's no doubt I could get disheartened by certain comments).

Oh and you dont keep me going, i keep you going. Notice how this thread died and became much more boring until i started giving people shit again, the only reason you posted is to reply to me, not the other way around.
I also agree that you do spice things up around here, although in my reality things don't need spicing up the way you do it (never the less I enjoy this crapola).

King Chaos said:
What you're saying here is similar to saying you can't get offended over a phone, or in a letter. Just because this is a written exercise involving machines doesn't take away the validity of what a person is saying. Most people can read into another persons attitudes and values from what they write down. It would appear here you are raisin the issue of doing the old 'join a lesbian chat room and pretend you have big titties and an ass you could munch for a week' thing. But most people do assume when you write "YOU FUCKING MORON" - that you actually have been emotionally provoked into that response... it's a worthy assumption too, as it must be said, you are the only person I've come across online that will be derogitory towards people for no good reason, like politeness is no issue and there is no genuine steel behind the remarks.

You are a casual internet user if you think im the only troll around. And for the record most of the times you get offended by phone or letter is because of the person offending you, so please do not separate my message if you're gonna take the vital reason out only to find it later and go "oh duh hahaha yes i agree with you"

I totally agree with what you said about being offended because you have respect for the offender. I had a little bit of respect for you because of your taste in film and after one or two PM's I sent you, in accordance to your wishes for recomendations, I assumed we would no longer be on insultive bases. But I'm fucking retarded for thinking that right? Either way, most of the insults you spurt just seem empty now, due to the views of interaction you have posted. So however cutting you get, it's quite likely I won't dislike you for it (although there's no doubt I could get disheartened by certain comments).

You dont have respect for me or never had it, you had respect for Misanthrope, a nickname and avatar and a few thousand posts most of which you never read im sure, but you know nothing about me. If hyena gets offended then is not stupid, but if the actual person typing under the hyena nickname gets offended for something that was told to Hyena then she has a problem in not being able to see the difference between the two, mostly because the reverse is true: i know NOTHING about her as a person at all, how can any of the insults be personal? Is like throwing a rock at a crowd of people and someone thinking "oh he specifically threw that rock at me!" and not only that its also thinking "i guess he doesnt likes me or has a problem with me that is what he's throwing rocks at me" how the fuck can a stranger have a personal thing against you?

Its ridiculous, you really need to reconsider your usage of the internet because if you get personally offended then perhaps you shouldnt be using a medium of comunication that is bound to have this kinds of attacks because of its extremely impersonal nature.

I also agree that you do spice things up around here, although in my reality things don't need spicing up the way you do it (never the less I enjoy this crapola).

But you DO enjoy the spice. Just remember that i generally rarely enjoy everything else.

tbh i was offended first and foremost by the use of the term 'broad'. it's not often that i'm pc, but where anti-women terms are concerned i sometimes get my fur rubbed the wrong way. moreover, i don't think missy or anyone has anything against me specifically, but disrespect is ugly anyways.

I think the concept of appearing on a board like a character in a computer game is pretty disturbed. Naturally, you behave differently online than in reallife because of the freedom and anonymity you have, but playing that part like a role in a play is quite wrong imo.
Also, a mature person doesnt choose to be immature, for mature people, maturity and politeness are virtues per se, so say what you want but that allows assumptions to who you are in reallife. I know Im not a role model for mature behaviour, but that's not the issue here.
You've said countless time that we're boring and worthless and blabla, but I fail to picture someone you wouldnt find boring.
Now flame away for my views and all, meanwhile Im getting teh popcorn

......and from his high tree, the tiny squirrel looks at all the nice people arguing here and just keep on laughing......... :p

.......he laughs but agrees with every people here who think politness is a virtue regardless of the medium you use :)

I think Misanthrope is right. Yeah, he bashes other users, etc., but he does it with style and I appreciate that (well, calling hyena a broad was a bit redneckish, but otherwise...). Ive really enjoyed reading this thread, because its really inspiring. It made me think about whats real and whats not and how some people simply believe in, or presuppose, the facticity of "the world" they inhabit, whether as real or as artificial persons. I am quite grateful for Misanthropes momentary lapse of reason or stepping out of the troll role for a second and trying to comment (I wanted to say explain or state, but I think theyre not accurate in this case) on the what and why of his and other peoples posting (or maybe it was another part of the game, but who the hell knows, and thats the point). It always strikes me how certain people take "the world" as they see it represented in their minds, or wherever. They see something as "something", so it simply MUST BE THAT SOMETHING and nothing else. But thats ridiculous and it should also be ridiculed and mocked as much as possible (with style, of course :) ). I had the same kind of problem when I joined this board, that after some posts I told King Chaos in the "not-so-good-blah-blah-thread" to omfg get a life lol etc. It was just a stupid sarcastic remark and everybody could see it, yet I got several touchy replies. SO, I think Misanthrope is getting attention not only because of his jargon, but also because there is quite some truth in what he says and because the other users also feel and know it. The problem is most of them try to make any sense of it, like why he does it, what are his reasons, is he unhappy and sad, or frustrated, or unwanted, or... - only because they believe things are as they see them. Thats about it from me, get on with it! :p

I enjoyed reading this thread too, not because it made me think about blah blah blah, but simply because it was good fun. Purely. Squirrels need fun, you know. ;)

Maybe this board isnt as great a community as some people think, but it surely isnt this worthless place of bits and bytes in the vast nothing of the internet. Ive met two people on here Ive been good friends with ever since and who I count among my best friends now. Ive never seen my friend from Liverpool in reallife, the plans I had always turned out unrealizable, but Ive been to Paris twice to see my other friend, he's been at my place once, we've been to Wacken together twice, to the SummerBreeze and the Dynamo. Despite the fact that I dont see him very often, I think he's as real a friend as those I see several times a week and I think I know him quite well, maybe better even than most of my friends.
So there, that's what I think about this place so many people have tried to unworth lately

The only other reason to "unworth" the place is the slow crappy server we have, it gets annoying.

I think the concept of appearing on a board like a character in a computer game is pretty disturbed. Naturally, you behave differently online than in reallife because of the freedom and anonymity you have, but playing that part like a role in a play is quite wrong imo.

Not a game, a multiplayer game :lol:

Ok ok, it was mainly an analogy on why i think is stupid to take it seriously, i limited my roleplaying, perse, to another board that was extremely receptive to it mainly because no one took it seriously at all. If someone did they generally got terribly flamed about it and leaved eventually.

Also, a mature person doesnt choose to be immature, for mature people, maturity and politeness are virtues per se, so say what you want but that allows assumptions to who you are in reallife.

So if my moral system and what i see as virtues are different from yours, mine must be wrong because im the minority and you're the majority right? Or simply because you or someone says so right? Thats about the dumbest thing ive heard and i would expect that from some bullshit Jesus forum, not from a supposedly metal board.

I know Im not a role model for mature behaviour, but that's not the issue here.
You've said countless time that we're boring and worthless and blabla, but I fail to picture someone you wouldnt find boring.

You also fail to see me on any other social situation at all whenever is within or outside internet: Pointless remark.

Now flame away for my views and all, meanwhile Im getting teh popcorn

Bullshit you flame me as much with that whole "you're not mature and that sucks" crap.

What would be hilarious IMHO would be if two "avatars" here where actually the same "person" and built whole threads only by keeping on flaming each other...... Actually did someone check if Mis and Hyena weren't actually the same person ???? ;)
Ah, the Internet magic....