Top 10 Black Albums of all time

first, it's 2:47 in the morning here. it's late. get with the program, frenchie.

second, ok, dude, i'll just stop posting to/about/near you. i've apparantely been quite 'disruptive' around here lately so i'm trying to cut back on posts anyway.

Don't abandon me, I've just started to appreciate you.

Who will I get to call me gay/French after EVERY post now?

Impudent said:
:lol: Only one of those is black metal, and even that has some other influences in there.

lol...well I said I wasn't really into that genre :p I think it all sounds the same.

Just because Electric Hellfire, Kovenant, Extol have other influences, I still would consider their sound to be in the black metal genre. They definitely have the vocals and guitar tones...and really atmosphere of black metal. Nothing wrong with having your own twist on a genre.

Not sure why you wouldn't put Immortal in the Black genre though? Others have them listed too...just not this CD. I like this one because it incorporates a bit more groove and thrash as opposed to the typical blastbeats BlackMetal has to offer.

Maybe throw in Susperia in there too, but don't really find them to be consistant enough.

Scott

PS - EHC/Necronomicon is a sweet CD btw...reminiscent of old White Zombie mixed with black metal and industrial imo...

Freanan said:
Is Xibalba really that good? Tell me about them, please.

Think a raw blend of pre-Immortal Pride Graveland, Burzum and, at least in terms of the atmosphere at times, early Chasm (quite impressive considering the year this was released), integrated into their own unique, ritualistic eastern sound, all accented beautifully by one of the most ancient, mystical sounding pieces of production work ever recorded.

I find Xasthur to be quite boring. They're better viewed as ambient than black metal.

black metal must be ambient to some degree to be black metal. period. anything with "clean" production or any kind of vaguely "tech" riffs = not black metal. period. PERIOD.

Lurker of Chalice? Leviathan?

i just don't... care. not the way i care about Burzum, at least.

SheisMySin said:
Not sure why you wouldn't put Immortal in the Black genre though? Others have them listed too...just not this CD. I like this one because it incorporates a bit more groove and thrash as opposed to the typical blastbeats BlackMetal has to offer.
Well, that's what I was referring to. Immortal's earlier stuff was definitely black metal, but "Sons..." was more black/death, with a bit of thrash influence. It still counts way more than the others, though.

Teh Grimarse said:
black metal must be ambient to some degree to be black metal. period. anything with "clean" production or any kind of vaguely "tech" riffs = not black metal. period. PERIOD.

What the? No. Wrong.

Diabolical Masquerade's production is clear as can be and they are undeniably black metal, and as I have never heard any technical black metal I can't argue that point.

Ex-cally-boo said:
they are undeniably black metal

o rly? undeniably, huh?

honestly their production isn't anything near what i'd call "clean", so i don't really understand your argument. the drums are just mixed really loud, but then i'm aware that most people judge production by what the drums sound like, so... ok.

they may be part of the greater black metal family tree, but tr00 BM is, IMHO, what darkthrone & burzum & etc. did in the early 90s, a mixture of minimalist "trance" riffing & underground punk aesthetics. everything else is just thrash/dm/whatever else. i consider proper black metal to be a very specific club with very few honest members and a lot of immitators. diabolical masquerade really just fit into the generic "extreme metal with black influences" category, right next to later years Immortal.

Dragonlord is black metal, but super clean and thrashy....I like them.

Prolly not in the BM "club" though, hey? :p

Scott

Teh Grimarse said:
diabolical masquerade really just fit into the generic "extreme metal with black influences" category, right next to later years Immortal.
I'd say Battles in the North is technical to an extent. So would that be later Immortal, as well?

Nemesis Divina by Satyricon is pretty technical, but would you say that it's just extreme metal with black influences?

SheisMySin said:
Dragonlord is black metal, but super clean and thrashy....I like them.

Prolly not in the BM "club" though, hey? :p

Scott
No, not really.