TOP 10 WORST BLACK METAL RECORDS OF ALL TIME

Mystic Circle is a pretty horrible 3rd/4th-rate symphonic black metal band, down to the fake black plastic Halloween fingernails in their band photos.

they have an entertaining song here and there, but the debut, Morgenrote, was their most retarded hour. I wish I could find the album again, it had the worst back-of-CD photo I have ever seen - two teens with bad corpse paint in a wood-paneled rec room. priceless.

-GG
np: Arsis - A Diamond for Disease

tons of underground black metul alboms ist much wurrst than thise.
i would agree with shitting on
cof (after dusk...),
dimmu borgir (after enthrone...),
darkthrone (anything except transilvanian hunger and a couple tracks here and there - eg. en vind av sorg etc.),
marduk (after those of the unlight)

As a person who doesn't like black metal very much, I can honestly say that "tr00" black metal is up there on my least-liked genres of music.
Some people complain about Opeth's early production, but at least I can hear what the fuck is happening. I get better production out of a $500 computer and a free recording program.
Production aside, a lot of it is still very monotonous.
*kicksnarekicksnarekicksnarekicksnare*
*speedpickedriffspeedpickedriff*
*screamscreamscream*
*repeatasneeded*
There are only a few black metal bands I have come to enjoy.

As a person who doesn't like black metal very much, I can honestly say that "tr00" black metal is up there on my least-liked genres of music.
Some people complain about Opeth's early production, but at least I can hear what the fuck is happening. I get better production out of a $500 computer and a free recording program.
Production aside, a lot of it is still very monotonous.
*kicksnarekicksnarekicksnarekicksnare*
*speedpickedriffspeedpickedriff*
*screamscreamscream*
*repeatasneeded*
There are only a few black metal bands I have come to enjoy.

Pretty much the same reasons I stray from the genre as well.

There are two bona fide classics on that list (Transilvanian Hunger and Battles in the North), and a lot of the criticism seems to have more to do with iconography than with, you know, the music.

So a lot of black metal isn't mixed thick and hot, so what? There's a lot more actual fidelity to the sound of organic instruments on Transilvanian Hunger than on your average uber-compressed, digitally produced slab of plastic coming out these days. At least with Darkthrone ALL the instruments are clearly audible.

The records are produced to intentionally sound shitty, and I'd much rather hear an album that sounds intentionally clear and full than thin and grainy. And what the hell is an organic instrument?

Cradle of Filth- Let's see, which CD....................oh wait..........wait...ALL OF THEM! CoF sucks. The only song that is..ermm....ok...is Dirge Inferno, and it sucks!

The records are produced to intentionally sound shitty

No, they're produced to match the ambience of the music

and I'd much rather hear an album that sounds intentionally clear and full than thin and grainy.

I'd rather hear an album with four audible instruments than sterile, digital crap that has a fuckload of mids and nothing else. Darkthrone has 10 times the sound clarity that crap like Lamb of God or Opeth ever considered having.

And what the hell is an organic instrument?

Live

oh, then the sound of distant screaming and drums over radio static must have amazing sound clarity. analog radio waves are so organic!

I like some of my bm raw, but that album in particular takes things too far.

Every single Darkthule album sucked.

Almost every Mayhem album sucked.

Every single thing Abruptum ever touched.

Emperor's Nightside album, it drags for fucking ever.

A lot of Summoning sucked.

And especially EVERY SINGLE FUCKING BURZUM.

Ehh, most black metal sucks, but Immortal, Enslaved, Taake and those few other bands made it so the genre was even worth existing.

I can't think of a single classic black metal record that sounds like what you describe.

Every single Darkthule album sucked.

Almost every Mayhem album sucked.

Every single thing Abruptum ever touched.

Emperor's Nightside album, it drags for fucking ever.

A lot of Summoning sucked.

And especially EVERY SINGLE FUCKING BURZUM.

Ehh, most black metal sucks, but Immortal, Enslaved, Taake and those few other bands made it so the genre was even worth existing.

totally agreed except for the part about summoning